PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes I just shake my head.....

Hoss
12-17-2017, 11:07 PM
At some of the questions asked on here,then I rember when I had no clue or anyone to ask.I appreciate the knowledge shared on this forum ,with seasoned veterans and newbies alike.We were ALL once newbies.I am proud of the mentoring that takes place here.Merry Christmas y'all and Thank You for allowing me to participate.

Stlsportster
12-17-2017, 11:09 PM
Agreed Hoss and back at ya!

mbshop
12-17-2017, 11:12 PM
Exactly. We do sometimes get tired if the same questions over and over but then we remember that at one time that was us.

LYU370
12-17-2017, 11:15 PM
As I learned years ago, the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked. Some forums I've been on seemed to look down on newcomers that had questions, I left those forums behind. The Brethren don't seem to care if you are an expert or someone brand new. If you have a question, someone will have an answer for you and will not look down on you.

pjtexas1
12-17-2017, 11:18 PM
Totally agree. Wish I would have found this place 10 years sooner.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Czarbecue
12-17-2017, 11:20 PM
I read Aaron Franklinís book and I wonder if he ever visited this site when he was teaching himself how to smoke his brisket. Small window since he opened his restaurant in 2009 and this site started a little bit before that but a window nonetheless.

bstomper
12-18-2017, 03:03 AM
I agree, The knowledge shared on this site has made me a MUCH better griller/smoker. Much appreciated.
Merry Christmas

Shagbark
12-18-2017, 03:31 AM
Totally agree. Wish I would have found this place 10 years sooner.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Same here. I'm still on the uphill side of the learning curve but it's starting to level out a little bit.

sylntghost
12-18-2017, 05:10 AM
I love this place. Merry Christmas to all and God bless.

Cibelo
12-18-2017, 08:15 AM
My cooking has not been the same since I found the Brethren, Thanks to all of you and Merry Christmas.:-D

daninnewjersey
12-18-2017, 08:35 AM
I can remember more than once sitting here wondering if I should hit the post button with some of my questions. NOT ONCE did anyone come on and say "you're kidding" or "you really don't know??" or anything even close to that. This is without a doubt one of the kindest most generous group of people I've ever met.....

Beentown
12-18-2017, 08:49 AM
I agree.

The only thing I see that gets a little "feedback" is when certainties are stated the clearly aren't certain. And when someone is going on about something that they clearly don't know or just trooling.

Good group for sure.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

bgross88
12-18-2017, 09:06 AM
As a long time member, that only recently started posting, I can't thank everyone enough on this forum. I've been on a ton of forums, covering all topics imaginable, over the years.

This forum is far and away the best I've ever been on. Quality information, excellent interaction, and very patient experts with us newbies.

Thank you all. I've learned more than I ever thought possible.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all!!

dadsr4
12-18-2017, 09:11 AM
What fascinates me is that Googling just about anything related to outdoor cooking leads to this site. Sometimes this site is the only one with an answer.

qnbiker
12-18-2017, 09:36 AM
This is a great place to learn. Even when I'm just reading posts and not looking for answers, I'll see something and think, "I didn't know that!"

electron_si
12-18-2017, 09:43 AM
Not only have I learned a lot of good techniques but I’ve found out about products I’ve never heard of before. This site is where I got turned on to oakridge bbq and thermoworks.

I’ve posted a lot of threads (one is active now) looking for help and always get good answers

mcyork28
12-18-2017, 10:06 AM
This site is great. Wish I knew how much money I have spent because of it though!!

Steve S
12-18-2017, 10:28 AM
This is indeed a great place to get several different answers to the same question.. lol. Kidding aside, I have learned lots of things in my time here, and hopefully I have helped someone else at some point.

Hotch
12-18-2017, 10:31 AM
The wealth of knowledge I have gained here is great and I hope I have added to the Brethren. But the friendships I have made are worth more than what I have learned. :mrgreen:

Ron_L
12-18-2017, 10:43 AM
This site is great. Wish I knew how much money I have spent because of it though!!

Me too! :becky:

dadsr4
12-18-2017, 10:57 AM
A lot of the credit belongs to Phil and the mods. They do a fantastic job.

HumboldtSmokeBBQ
12-18-2017, 11:12 AM
When I joined this forum all those years ago I was pretty green. I have learned so much here...I cant even begin to try to quantify just how much. I took a few years off from the forum, but not BBQ. I am happy to be back and always happy to see all of the questions and the advice offered. best bbq forum in the world right here.

medic92
12-18-2017, 12:19 PM
What fascinates me is that Googling just about anything related to outdoor cooking leads to this site. Sometimes this site is the only one with an answer.

Exactly. Last week my wife googled something about cole slaw turning purple after a couple of days and she got her answers here. I talk about the Brethren all the time but she didn't make the connection until I told her this is where I spend my time.

Everyone here has always been very nice and helpful with everything, and I don't think my business would have gotten off the ground if it wasn't for you folks and your willingness to help out. It's one of the reasons I pay for a subscription.

Smoking Piney
12-18-2017, 12:27 PM
Joining The Brethren is the single best move I've made to up my Q game. I can't begin to list the things I've learned here, and will continue to learn.

This is a great site for beginners - we welcome them in with no snarky attitudes. When I talk to beginner Q cooks, I always point them here.

daninnewjersey
12-18-2017, 02:33 PM
This is a great site for beginners - we welcome them in with no snarky attitudes.

Even if they're from New Jersey....:mrgreen::mrgreen:

jasonjax
12-18-2017, 03:40 PM
I echo everything stated here.

I remember when I first joined I thought to myself what kind of crack is this forum smoking not to have many sub-forums (pellet cookers, charcoal cookers, grilling, smoking etc etc.) then after some time here I realized the beauty of everything dumping into Q-talk because of the amount of responses and overall viewership. I then realized Phil and other others mods were crazy like a fox. :shock:

JVM59
12-18-2017, 04:55 PM
I can remember more than once sitting here wondering if I should hit the post button with some of my questions. NOT ONCE did anyone come on and say "you're kidding" or "you really don't know??" or anything even close to that. This is without a doubt one of the kindest most generous group of people I've ever met.....

True that!

frognot
12-18-2017, 05:20 PM

Plus all the money saved on sales listed and not eating out as much.

mchar69
12-18-2017, 05:38 PM
Not to mention, there are some fantastic chefs, caterers, brick and mortar owners, bloggers ( you know who you are Jeannie!),
comp teams sharing, guys and gals that freely offer their experience.
The experience has saved me, and I'm sure many others, countless
hours and money and prevented ruined Q.
Thanks to all.

aerotech11
12-18-2017, 06:13 PM
I agree with everything that has been said here. Being somewhat of a newb here myself I am more than grateful for all the wisdom and kindness this site has had to offer. I will definitely be a lifelong member and hope to share my knowledge with the other newbs coming in down the road.

Happy Hapgood
12-18-2017, 08:40 PM
For sure Hoss and you have spread some great knowledge as well. Really enjoy your posts!

Merry Christmas to all.

LloydQ
12-18-2017, 09:50 PM
Couldn't agree more!

ncmoose
12-18-2017, 10:12 PM
I really like the respect shown here for posters new and old--even in disagreement. Once I know everything, I'll stop asking stupid questions.

EricD
12-19-2017, 12:51 PM
I agree with every post here! Thank you all. and Merry Christmas (or whatever you and yours celebrate) to all!!

PnkPanther
12-19-2017, 12:55 PM
what I love best is you guys enable me to spend more money

Joe Black
12-19-2017, 11:20 PM
Thanks to everyone for all of the comments. The assistance, help, encouragement and friendship that is shared on this forum makes it what it is....the finest BBQ site ever. I have met so many wonderful folks here and many are great friends.

Merry Christmas to everyone and a great New Year. Let's take all of the things that have been posted here and keep this fantastic friendship and fellowship going even better.

Big N Hot
12-20-2017, 09:01 AM
Should I put rub on the brisket before or after thawing it out in the microwave?

Smokey-T
12-20-2017, 09:03 AM
Will miracle whip work as good as Helman's Mayo to slather on the meat?? :shocked:

Thanks for all the guidance over the past 8 years!

zippy12
12-20-2017, 10:32 AM
Does the butcher remove the A hole from a Boston butt?

daninnewjersey
12-20-2017, 10:33 AM
what I love best is you guys enable me to spend more money

That's some funny sh*t....:mrgreen::mrgreen:

thirdeye
12-20-2017, 11:30 AM
What's an ABT? :icon_devil

lastmajordude
12-20-2017, 03:39 PM
Love this place.....always a trip!!.....But I’m a little annoyed that some of these newbies are out cooking the **** out of me!!!!!!!!:oops:......Peace Brothers.....and SISTER.....

dadsr4
12-20-2017, 03:59 PM
Love this place.....always a trip!!.....But Iím a little annoyed that some of these newbies are out cooking the **** out of me!!!!!!!!:oops:......Peace Brothers.....and SISTERS.....
Fixed that for you, we have a number of awesome female members.

Rockinar
12-20-2017, 04:21 PM
Love this place.....always a trip!!.....But Iím a little annoyed that some of these newbies are out cooking the **** out of me!!!!!!!!

Don't feel bad. You could be this guy. Says he's been smoking briskets "for years and years".

Watch and you will laugh as he tells you he pulls his briskets off at 185 (leather shoe texture anyone?) then get your tissues out because the end is a tear jerker.

This guy is from Austin, TX. The brisket Mecca. Not from the far corner of North Dakota. No matter how bad your brisket is, you still know more than this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGsZkoa-lIE

bluzieq
12-20-2017, 10:44 PM
Agree with all. One thing here as opposed to one place I left in disgust. Folks here don't belittle new cooks or their new unnecessary gadgets. Because admit we've all been there.last straw for me on the other, I saw 2 new people to bbq on another site( not a forum) get totally dissed and made to feel stupid when they posted about a newfangled cooking thing they had spent hard earned money on, instead of encouragement and let them learn later that they may not need some things. I believe if a new cook is doing something really wrong you should help with info. But if its harmless I say let them learn. That's what you get on this site, encouragement. I've had brand new cooks at contest come over and want to show me their stuff ( it appears I know what I'm doing but sometimes I don't.lol). I always look and tell them to keep it up. And I tell them to go to bbq brethren site and join. I love my bbq brothers and sisters here.

WareZdaBeef
12-20-2017, 10:48 PM
To each their own i guess. I was born with a stick up my @$$ so burning it, was second nature.

Bob C Cue
12-21-2017, 12:39 AM
I like this site but I don't think we have enough polls or mayo threads.

ChrisBarb
12-21-2017, 10:15 AM
...or how every thread has the obligatory "get a UDS" comment. :cool: