PDA

View Full Version : Tootsie’s Mop Sauce for Pork steaks

allboy
12-17-2017, 01:36 PM
Anyone try this Mop sauce recipe? I wanted to try something different on the pork steaks today. She is the legionary pitmaster at Snow's BBQ in Lexington, Texas. Interesting articles out there for those who enjoy BBQ history in the US. Pic's to follow:

Tootsie’s Mop Sauce
1 gallon water
2 medium white onions, peeled and quartered
1 stick butter
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup Worcestershire
2 tablespoons dry mustard

Boil water and add quartered onions. Continue to boil for at least ten minutes. Add butter and stir until melted. Take water off heat and add all other ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Keep on stovetop at a low simmer or move it to the pit to keep it warm.

Mop the pork steaks liberally four or five times during the cook. Once the meat becomes tender and the fat begins to crisp on the edges, take it off the pit. This cut doesn’t have to be falling apart to be done. Let it rest for 30 minutes, then slice against the grain and serve.

Smoking Piney
12-17-2017, 02:19 PM
Based on the ingredients, I would say it's really good. :-D

With it strained and less water, it would probably be a good injection.

jermoQ
12-17-2017, 02:40 PM
Havent seen it yet, but it is on my to-do list!

allboy
12-17-2017, 03:20 PM
I cut the batch in half and simmered it down uncovered to thicken. So time will tell.

gtr
12-17-2017, 06:49 PM
I've done it and it's great. The pork steak at Snow's is of my favorite things to eat. It's kinda far away (a couple states :shocked:) so I'll cook 'em here once in a while. Hopefully by the time I'm 88 I can get mine as good as hers.

Is that the recipe off of TMBBQ? That's where I saw it.

Snow's is fanfarkingtastic and could be my favorite of the BBQ joints I've been to - and it's a really strong bunch of spots around there. Last month my son and I hit Snow's then drove straight over to Louie Mueller's (also great) - where we saw some of the people we saw at Snow's :laugh: Great day!

Smoking Piney
12-17-2017, 06:54 PM
I truly envy you folks that have great BBQ joints within reach.

NJ has none of this.

That's why I make my own. :-D

allboy
12-17-2017, 07:49 PM
I've done it and it's great. The pork steak at Snow's is of my favorite things to eat. It's kinda far away (a couple states :shocked:) so I'll cook 'em here once in a while. Hopefully by the time I'm 88 I can get mine as good as hers.

Is that the recipe off of TMBBQ? That's where I saw it.

Snow's is fanfarkingtastic and could be my favorite of the BBQ joints I've been to - and it's a really strong bunch of spots around there. Last month my son and I hit Snow's then drove straight over to Louie Mueller's (also great) - where we saw some of the people we saw at Snow's :laugh: Great day!

I found it when looking for a new Pork steak recipe on "texas monthly's" site. I ended up doing half of the steaks Saint Louis style. They both turned out great.

KORND4WG X
12-17-2017, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the link, been looking for a good mop and this looks easy and tasty :thumb:

Rockinar
12-17-2017, 08:13 PM
Anyone try this Mop sauce recipe? I wanted to try something different on the pork steaks today. She is the legionary pitmaster at Snow's BBQ in Lexington, Texas. Interesting articles out there for those who enjoy BBQ history in the US. Pic's to follow:

Tootsie’s Mop Sauce
1 gallon water
2 medium white onions, peeled and quartered
1 stick butter
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup Worcestershire
2 tablespoons dry mustard

Boil water and add quartered onions. Continue to boil for at least ten minutes. Add butter and stir until melted. Take water off heat and add all other ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Keep on stovetop at a low simmer or move it to the pit to keep it warm.

Mop the pork steaks liberally four or five times during the cook. Once the meat becomes tender and the fat begins to crisp on the edges, take it off the pit. This cut doesn’t have to be falling apart to be done. Let it rest for 30 minutes, then slice against the grain and serve.

Thats the same recipe I keep seeing for Snow's chicken mop. I tried it and thought it not even anywhere close. The mop has a bunch of pepper in it. Not sure how the person who tried to copy the mop missed obvious detail.

allboy
12-17-2017, 08:19 PM
Thats the same recipe I keep seeing for Snow's chicken mop. I tried it and thought it not even anywhere close.

Well I have not been to the restaurant but this recipe seem like it needs a few a things. A bit bland at best.

Czarbecue
12-18-2017, 06:35 AM
This is probably the equivalent of Aaron Franklin using just salt and pepper, lol

legendaryhog
12-18-2017, 12:22 PM
Yes! Nobody does pork steak (outside of St. Louis) anymore. Bring back the pork steak! let it be braised in a cheap aluminum foil pan with a fark ton of beer and sauce you farkers!