PDA

View Full Version : Alabama white sauce

mrpigs
12-15-2017, 03:19 PM
Been hearing about it for awhile and got a bottle of Big Bob Gibson white sauce to try.

I was just wondering what meats all y'alls use it on and if you baste with it while cooking or put it on at the end.

Not sure what to think of it yet, sure has a different taste.

Thanks in advance.

Smoking Piney
12-15-2017, 03:22 PM
It's absolutely killer with chicken. :-D

I cook wings, flip them through some white sauce, and save some for dipping.

Beentown
12-15-2017, 03:25 PM
I like it. Everyone else in the family doesn't. It is one of those things...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BillATL
12-15-2017, 03:29 PM
I mix mine with shredded cabbage and put it on pulled pork sandwiches or just eat it as side

:-)

mchar69
12-15-2017, 03:32 PM
How much Vinegar flavor is there?

Smoking Piney
12-15-2017, 03:33 PM

I mix my own. Just enough vinegar to be able to taste.

mrpigs
12-15-2017, 03:36 PM

I can definitely taste the vinegar.

Smoking Piney
12-15-2017, 03:44 PM
Here's what I mix, and I tend to change it up every time I make it. The trick is not getting it too thin. Add the apple juice last and mix for the consistency you want.

2 Cups - Mayonnaise
1/3 Cup – Apple Cider Vinegar (or less if you want less vinegar bite)
1/3 Cup - Apple Juice
2 tsp - Horseradish (not horseradish sauce, but pure horseradish. The jarred horse radish is what I use) or more if you like it
2 tsp - Black Pepper
2 tsp - Fresh Lemon Juice
1 tsp - Salt
1/2 tsp - Cayenne Pepper

Directions
Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl.
Mix well and refrigerate for a few hours to blend.

zmhill
12-15-2017, 04:02 PM
Love it on chicken!

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Titch
12-15-2017, 04:04 PM
It's great on lamb in a wrap, fantastic on chicken

Smoking Piney
12-15-2017, 04:06 PM
It's great on lamb in a wrap, fantastic on chicken

Never tried it on lamb.

Next time I cook lamb, I will. Thanks! :-D

bonz50
12-15-2017, 04:24 PM
Shockingly good on brisket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishwater2002
12-15-2017, 04:27 PM
I actually had it for the first time last night & it was awesome! After a long week of business travel & horrible food I traveled to Kentucky last night since I was flying out of Cincinnati. I yelped a place that had rave reviews of their fried chicken & Alabama white BBQ sauce. Wow, best friend chicken I think that I've ever had & that sauce was pure magic on top. I'll be making that moving forward & showing my fellow Yankee's how you guys roll down there.

Ag76
12-15-2017, 04:33 PM
Here's what I mix, and I tend to change it up every time I make it. The trick is not getting it too thin. Add the apple juice last and mix for the consistency you want.

2 Cups - Mayonnaise
1/3 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar (or less if you want less vinegar bite)
1/3 Cup - Apple Juice
2 tsp - Horseradish (not horseradish sauce, but pure horseradish. The jarred horse radish is what I use) or more if you like it
2 tsp - Black Pepper
2 tsp - Fresh Lemon Juice
1 tsp - Salt
1/2 tsp - Cayenne Pepper

Directions
Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl.
Mix well and refrigerate for a few hours to blend.

I think you are referring to what they sell at the store as "Prepared Horseradish". It is in the refrigerated section.

Smoking Piney
12-15-2017, 04:51 PM
I think you are referring to what they sell at the store as "Prepared Horseradish". It is in the refrigerated section.

You are correct. :-D

Ag76
12-15-2017, 06:26 PM
For more information on Prepared Horseradish which is what is generally used in various recipes out there for Alabama White Sauce, see the attachment.

OlyQ
12-15-2017, 07:12 PM
It's funky goodness

mrpigs
12-16-2017, 08:46 AM
Thanks everyone.

I'm going to try it as is, then maybe doctor some up with cayenne or hot sauce and see how that goes.

On a side note, I also got a bottle of Gibson championship red sauce and it's pretty dang good.

SmokePigTails
12-16-2017, 08:59 AM
I ran out of apple juice and subbed Maple Syrup. It worked very well kind a surprise, but since it is not cooked the syrup is not affected.

One Drop
12-17-2017, 04:49 AM
I love it! I serve it with BBQ chicken, it makes a great contrat to the traditional rub flavours.

I had actually added horseradish myself to the original recipes I found a few years back, none of them had it back then and there was little mention of it on the Internet. Now I see recipes with and without it, it just seemed like a natural addition at the time. I add more horseradish than normal when I serve it with chopped beef, it's the perfect accompaniment to it.