PDA

View Full Version : Brisket sell-by date

toddu
12-15-2017, 12:30 PM
Have a full packer, cryovac’d with a sell by date of today. Plan on making it for Xmas eve. Freeze it or let it ride? Thinking it should be fine.

Todd

ulc
12-15-2017, 12:54 PM
More than fine. You could wait another 2 months and still be fine.

Ron_L
12-15-2017, 01:18 PM
The sell by date is useless. Sell by dates are applied based on store policy, so there is no telling how old that brisket really is. You need the pack date to know for sure.

You could ask the store how they figure sell by dates and that may give you a better idea.

But, Christmas eve is just a week away. If you have room in the fridge, and the fridge isn't going to be opened much, and the cryovac is still intact, you should be fine. If you freeze it you would have to take it out of the freezer on Wednesday or Thursday anyway to give it time to thaw.

Hotch
12-15-2017, 01:53 PM
Just think of it as "Wet Aging".
I've gone as long as 3-4 weeks in the fridge as long as the cryovac is still sealed and no leaks. :mrgreen:

frognot
12-15-2017, 03:59 PM
At my house would have to freeze it because we never have extra space in the fridge and it gets opened all the time.

shares
12-15-2017, 06:44 PM
Briskets can wet age in the cryo for quite a long time. But without knowing the pack date you have no idea for sure how long it can age. The key is to keep a good eye on the air bubbles. To my learning a couple of quarter ($0.25) sized bubbles is good but it's time to start planning a cook. If you open the cryo and it's bad there will be no question about it, so just go for it!

Burnt at Both Endz
12-15-2017, 08:11 PM
As Ron said, different retailers use different dates, but most of them is the sale by date is 21 -30 days from the kill date.

gsmith
12-15-2017, 08:47 PM
I let one wet age in my beer fridge for a little over three weeks in my beer fridge and it was fine. And that fridge got opened a lot.... a really lot

Hoss
12-15-2017, 09:27 PM
It would make a good Memorial Day cook if you left it in the beer fridge.

Hoss
12-15-2017, 09:32 PM
At my house would have to freeze it because we never have extra space in the fridge and it gets opened all the time.

The opening of the door is not a BIG factor.Put a glass of water in there with a thermometer in it.The chill is not gonna fluctuate very much.I have tried it.Once a big piece of meat,or whatever else is chilled,that door would have to be open for an extended period of time to affect the temp of the food in there.

FreeDivr
12-18-2017, 12:07 AM
Good thread, same thing for me I went to costco and found a 15 lb prime packer I couldn’t pass up. Christmas dinner is going to be lovely but I too was curious how far past the sell by date one could go. Mine is dated the 20th, sounds like the consensus is no issues.

Robert
12-18-2017, 06:09 AM
Usually no problem. I have aged 45 days in a dedicated meat and sauce fridge many times for competition. However, a few years back when brisket hit it's peak in price, I found some deeply discounted briskets at Walmart. 6 of them, choice, each 15-17 pounds with one day left on sell by date. I had a catering deal coming up in 10 days and thought I could save some money. On the day of the scheduled cook, I opened the first bag--spoiled, second bag--spoiled. All six went into the trash and I had to scramble to Sam's to buy a case of briskets.

So, bottom line, I tend to buy my briskets in the case and cook them immediately for catering. Competition is a different story. In 22 years I've had one spoiled brisket.

You should be fine, just have a backup plan.

I hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas.

Robert