PDA

View Full Version : Pork shoulder guys what is this...?

ClintHTX
12-15-2017, 11:13 AM
Cooking for 50 people next week. Doing some cooking and vacuum sealing this weekend. Unwrap should to see this shoulder with black which I assume blood clots? Along with terrible butchering the but is cut in half almost and this tube coming out. What is it?
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171215/c82cad7d5f78d51767f923fb5a750922.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokeswirl
12-15-2017, 11:14 AM
Its a vein

Norm
12-15-2017, 12:00 PM
Yep and I'd return it!

ClintHTX
12-15-2017, 12:02 PM
Yep and I'd return it!

Would you really? I was considering it but I didn’t know if that’s a legit reason to. I understand that it’s normal in meat but it shouldn’t be packaged with it right....? Not to mention the shoulder is literally cut almost in half....

HumboldtSmokeBBQ
12-15-2017, 12:03 PM
I think that is the flux capacitor.

seriously though....Id return that piece of pig and ask for a new one. And, tell that Texas butcher to stick with beef...

Beentown
12-15-2017, 12:06 PM
Was that a boneless shoulder to start with? If so, they are always tore up. Also you'll find that tube/vein in about every other butt.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ClintHTX
12-15-2017, 12:12 PM
Bone in pork shoulder. Called HEB where I got it. First the girl said don’t worry about bringing the meat in. Obviously I could show them the picture then she calls the meat market and they said they will need the shoulder brought to them so they can see it in person....I understand where they are coming from but wow! So In a heb bag it goes to the store.

Jrogers84
12-15-2017, 12:16 PM
Was that a boneless shoulder to start with? If so, they are always tore up. Also you'll find that tube/vein in about every other butt.

We apparently shop at different stores. Been through a lot of butts in my day and have never ran into that

16Adams
12-15-2017, 12:19 PM
Glad it wasn’t a hot dog.

cowgirl
12-15-2017, 12:44 PM
I've butchered a lot of pigs. I'd just cut it out and cook it.

Mikhail
12-15-2017, 12:52 PM
Me too. All pigs have 'em.

We tend to forget that our meat was once a living creature with pretty much the same organs and blood vessels we have. I think everyone should have the experience of killing, cleaning and cooking an animal.

ClintHTX
12-15-2017, 01:15 PM
I was just wondering what it is. I really just don’t like the fact the thing is basically butterflied.

Smoking Piney
12-15-2017, 01:23 PM
The vein wouldn't bother me - just cut it out and press on.

The butchering is another story. That shoulder looks mangled.

ssv3
12-15-2017, 01:42 PM
I've butchered a lot of pigs. I'd just cut it out and cook it.

This! I ran into 'em a lot and I just remove it.

Mikhail
12-15-2017, 02:04 PM
I was just wondering what it is. I really just don’t like the fact the thing is basically butterflied.More smoke flavor, shorter cook time perhaps. Could be a good thing. You're just going to shred it anyway, right?

EricD
12-15-2017, 02:07 PM
^^^ This and more bark too!

Beentown
12-15-2017, 03:12 PM
We apparently shop at different stores. Been through a lot of butts in my day and have never ran into thatI do probably 100 a year, maybe more. Many, many have that vein end left. With bone-in it is inside the meat as it retracts after it gets cut. When opened up (boneless) you see it more often.

Norm
12-15-2017, 03:31 PM
If I butcher my own that's fine but if you are paying money for a properly butchered hog then it's not. I've cooked plenty of pork butts and that one should have been pulled at the packer and discarded. I had my friend who works for JBS look at the pic, told me that one would never get past their inspectors. If it doesn't bother folks that's fine, it's a personal choice.

BillN
12-15-2017, 03:35 PM
Hmmm remove it you say, I don't bother and just pick it out and eat it when I'm pulling, it pretty much renders into the meat after a 7 to 9 hour cook.

Cook
12-15-2017, 04:28 PM
As you already know...it's a vein. Can't believe some snowflakes suggested you take it back to the store because of that. What is this barbecue world coming to?!? LoL

As for the butchering...sure it could have been "prettier"...but I go right back to that snowflake classification. Is that really going to matter 9 hours into the cook?

And whole shoulder? HuH?

ClintHTX
12-15-2017, 05:26 PM
I’m going to say this on behalf of quality control let’s not talk about “snowflakes”. I believe when you buy something from someone it should be top notch considering you are the only brand in the store selling that individual product. With that being said. What I bought went past quality control and wasn’t right for what I anticipated. Yes I have bought many of shoulders from this store with the same individual company and what they produced was not right for “most” buyers. Sure most on here would cut it off and go on but there’s a lot of people that would not because they are unfamiliar with it. Like myself.

Smoking Piney
12-15-2017, 05:30 PM
I think we all can leave "snow flakes" out of our discussions here. We're talking Q here, not politics.

smokeswirl
12-15-2017, 05:40 PM
If you're concerned about food safety or if its some sort of mutant genetically modified pig it isnt. :-D ive found these veins i brisket, pork, chicken etc. its safe to eat or return as to your liking.

It could be the best pork shoulder ever...

Beentown
12-15-2017, 05:45 PM
Most probably eat It in there pull and not know it...

Disclaimer...We always search for it as it has a rubbery texture.

PatAttack
12-15-2017, 05:46 PM
Like Jeanie said. Cut it out and cook it.

No one will be harmed. We have a similar system, veins, arteries and all.

Clean it, cook it, eat it.

LloydQ
12-15-2017, 08:05 PM
I do probably 100 a year, maybe more. Many, many have that vein end left. With bone-in it is inside the meat as it retracts after it gets cut. When opened up (boneless) you see it more often.

Mine would retract if it were cut.

Phubar
12-16-2017, 05:37 AM
Try injecting through that vein...the whole thing swells up.

Cook
12-16-2017, 06:25 AM
I think we all can leave "snow flakes" out of our discussions here. We're talking Q here, not politics.

The term snowflake is political? :crazy:

Anyway...it's better than the other adjectives I had in mind.

If your wittle feewings get hurt because of it, that tells the tale.

It's almost as if some of you try not to remember we're slaughtering and eating real animals here.

Another term that isn't vulgar or too explicit comes to mind...would saying the word "pansy" have been better? I wasn't actually trying to insult anyone, but words like this just seem insulting.

I stick by the premise to get over the f'in vein. Go complain to the grocery store meat guy about how they cut your "whole shoulder" & show 'em who's boss.

(all this flack from people who don't even know what a whole shoulder actually is)

And just because this boston butt has a tiny piece of the picnic attached doesn't make it a whole shoulder. What did that thing weigh...8-10#?

ModelMaker
12-16-2017, 08:37 AM
I'd cut it out and give to a boy nearby and tell him to go chase girls with it.
Ed

Ron_L
12-16-2017, 09:10 AM
Mod Note:

Enough of the name calling! If you can’t treat each other like adults, please move on. As mentioned, this is QTalk and should be kept on topic.

cricky101
12-19-2017, 01:44 PM
The term snowflake is political? :crazy:

Anyway...it's better than the other adjectives I had in mind.

If your wittle feewings get hurt because of it, that tells the tale.

It's almost as if some of you try not to remember we're slaughtering and eating real animals here.

Another term that isn't vulgar or too explicit comes to mind...would saying the word "pansy" have been better? I wasn't actually trying to insult anyone, but words like this just seem insulting.

I stick by the premise to get over the f'in vein. Go complain to the grocery store meat guy about how they cut your "whole shoulder" & show 'em who's boss.

(all this flack from people who don't even know what a whole shoulder actually is)

And just because this boston butt has a tiny piece of the picnic attached doesn't make it a whole shoulder. What did that thing weigh...8-10#?
Epic trolling. Well done.

Pappy Q
12-19-2017, 01:51 PM
You didn't like the product and wanted to return it so why did you need folks permission?

Ron_L
12-19-2017, 02:05 PM
Apparently some folks missed this...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3917618&postcount=30