PDA

View Full Version : Attempting first rib roast. Ongoing...

Happy Hapgood
12-14-2017, 06:08 PM
The Wife found Choice grade on sale at Kroger for $4.99 lb. I have a WSM, Weber Kettle OTG and a gasser to use.

Found this on the Weber blog:

https://www.weber.com/US/en/blog/4-easy-steps-to-grilling-a-holiday-rib-roast

Looking at this as doable with Applewood chunks in the kettle but wondering if anyone has any other suggestions given the equipment I have to work with?

Thanks for any and all input and Merry Christmas to all. :thumb:

Happy Hapgood
12-14-2017, 06:30 PM
Now I'm thinking may need some type of high heat sear. Should it be reverse sear?

Burnt at Both Endz
12-14-2017, 06:41 PM
If your grilling it by the recipe(@400*), no you don't need to sear.

Some things to consider....

Dry brine the night before or just you might use worcestershire sauce and some Montreal steak seasoning wrapped in plastic the night before.

16Adams
12-14-2017, 06:44 PM
https://www.amazon.com/Anova-Culinary-Precision-Bluetooth-Circulator/dp/B00UKPBXM4

I never have, but bet it’d be good.

Blythewood BBQ'er
12-14-2017, 06:45 PM
Smoke it low until 120 I.T. Then toss it on some flaming hot coals on that kettle for a sear and devour!

Smoking Piney
12-14-2017, 06:50 PM
Smoke it low until 120 I.T. Then toss it on some flaming hot coals on that kettle for a sear and devour!

Agree. Let it rest covered while you stoke the coals to hot. Sear it to a good crust on all sides and prepare for a feast. :-D

SDAR
12-14-2017, 06:50 PM
Iím for the slow smoke till 120 and then char the chit out of it until 130-135 internal. Iíve done this with a rest between the smoke and char rubbed with vegy oil and Montreal just prior to putting it on for the smoking hot sear to finish it. :thumb:

DUBBAGA
12-14-2017, 06:52 PM
Break out your trusty turkey fryer

http://www.lifesatomato.com/2015/05/18/prime-rib-char-broil-big-easy/

WareZdaBeef
12-14-2017, 06:57 PM
I would put it in the smoker for an hour or two at like 250 , then onto a scorching hot grill for a few min per side, then into a oven at 250 till it reaches internal 127. Let it rest for 15 min and enjoy.

Smoking Piney
12-14-2017, 06:58 PM
Iím for the slow smoke till 120 and then char the chit out of it until 130-135 internal. Iíve done this with a rest between the smoke and char rubbed with vegy oil and Montreal just prior to putting it on for the smoking hot sear to finish it. :thumb:

Pretty much how I do it. The trick is to let it rest about 15 to 20 minutes before you sear it. Sear it on all sides, but keep an eye on it. It only takes a minute or two to get a good sear over hot coals. 130-135 is what you are shooting for, no need to rest further, and it should be medium rare end to end perfection.

https://i.imgur.com/fvCcJMzh.jpg

Burnt at Both Endz
12-14-2017, 06:59 PM
Pretty much how I do it. The trick is to let it rest about 15 to 20 minutes before you sear it. Sear it on all sides, but keep an eye on it. It only takes a minute or two to get a good sear over hot coals. 130-135 is what you are shooting for, no need to rest further, and it should be medium rare end to end perfection.

Because of my Damn girl never being on time, I've held them for over an hour between cooking and the sear.

16Adams
12-14-2017, 07:05 PM
I guess I reverse the reverse. I cook them just like my tri tips.

Allow roast to lose some cold before cooking.
Trim fat cap to 1/4”
Rub with evoo or bacon grease
Season liberally with KS and CBP

Sear on all sides and ends/ get a good crust. Take your time- get it all.

Double wrap in foil
Set offset until desired internal temp

Allow to rest 20-40”

Remove foil. Have beef in a pan that can capture juices- there’ll be a ton of juice.

SDAR
12-14-2017, 07:09 PM
I guess I reverse the reverse. I cook them just like my tri tips.

Allow roast to lose some cold before cooking.
Trim fat cap to 1/4Ē
Rub with evoo or bacon grease
Season liberally with KS and CBP

Dear on all sides and ends/ get a good crust. Take your time- get it all.

Double wrap in foil
Set offset until desired internal temp

Allow to rest 20-40Ē

Remove foil. Have beef in a pan that can juices- thereíll be a ton of juice.

That is a great way to cook prime rib and how my mom did it. The alternative is ďsmokedĒ prime rib.

16Adams
12-14-2017, 07:14 PM
Yep I meant to mention you’re losing some smoke- which to some people suck others applaud. As long as there’s horseradish sauce- Im in.

SDAR
12-14-2017, 07:19 PM
My mom cooked briskets like you outline too. Iím still trying to meet or beat that oven brisket. She blackened the crap of it before wrapping it. Loads, I mean loads of pepper! Unbelievable brisket.

Burnt at Both Endz
12-14-2017, 07:33 PM
........... As long as there’s horseradish sauce- Im in.

No one else will do horseradish in my house, so it's a can of French onion soup simmered with some dales steak seasoning, a little beef paste, garlic,pepper, salt simmered for a while, then strained....home made au jus.:shocked:

Happy Hapgood
12-14-2017, 07:36 PM

Oh Man! That right there is exactly what I'm hoping for.

Thanks to everyone for the Great input! :clap2:

mchar69
12-14-2017, 08:04 PM
The only way to get edge to edge red, Toast, is low at 225 and then Maillard the
outside with a good sear. Burnt's roast looks awesome!

Happy Hapgood
12-14-2017, 08:12 PM
The victim.

https://i.imgur.com/fSI46bo.jpg

She also picked up acouple of steaks

https://i.imgur.com/ndVTrA2.jpg

Happy Hapgood
12-14-2017, 08:14 PM
I'm seeing a fat cap. Should I trim it?

Happy Hapgood
12-14-2017, 08:16 PM
The only way to get edge to edge red, Toast, is low at 225 and then Maillard the
outside with a good sear. Burnt's roast looks awesome!

Thinking about using the gasser for the sear. I can hit 600*F easily with it.

mchar69
12-14-2017, 08:26 PM
I'm seeing a fat cap. Should I trim it?Yes, trim all the outside cap, so your rub / crust from the sear will be eaten,
not cut away by folks at the table trimming the fat.

WE KNOW that outside fat wont melt into the meat,
only marbled fat inside the meat melts inside the meat.

mchar69
12-14-2017, 08:28 PM
Can't see the whole roast, but the bones have to go if
the roast has bones, same reason as the fat.
Tie it up to make it as round as possible, will cook more evenly.
Sounds terrible, but I like Substance over Style.
The Standing Rib Roast is gone.
Perfect Rib Roast takes its place.

mchar69
12-14-2017, 08:46 PM
Thinking about using the gasser for the sear. I can hit 600*F easily with it.
LET'S NOT BURN it after all this effort!
You have to leave the lid open and watch it.

liv4jpn
12-14-2017, 08:51 PM
https://www.amazon.com/Anova-Culinary-Precision-Bluetooth-Circulator/dp/B00UKPBXM4

I never have, but bet itíd be good.

I have and it is good

Happy Hapgood
12-14-2017, 08:54 PM

I will take some more pics tomorrow. I don't care if it's standing, reclining, or in the prone position. It ain't for lookin at it's for eetin. :becky:

16Adams
12-14-2017, 08:59 PM
My mom cooked briskets like you outline too. Iím still trying to meet or beat that oven brisket. She blackened the crap of it before wrapping it. Loads, I mean loads of pepper! Unbelievable brisket.

I come from a grilling family. Our cookouts were burgers well done and if really lucky Tbones well done. 2 adults 4 kids 3 tbones-shared. Two burgers though with home made pickles garden tomatoes.

As Iíve said before, I like to smoke but prefer the taste of grilled.

Product of my environment

Happy Hapgood
12-14-2017, 09:05 PM
I do briskets with heavy pepper but on this cut, hoping for the meat flavor to come through without too much other stuff.

charcoal4brains
12-14-2017, 09:07 PM
HEB has ribeye roast for $3.97/lb. Select grade, but I'm planning on sous videing them so I don't think it'll make much difference. There's a limit of one, with an additional $10 purchase.

So I took a cooler w/ ice to the store and bought a roast and some beer. And a roast and some beer. And a roast and some beer. Ad nausium. So I'm stocked up on beef and beer for the foreseeable future.

I'm planning on dry brining for at least 36 hours, cold smoking (oak) @ 60F-ish for 3 hours, sous videing @120F for about 10-12 hours, then searing.

How's that plan sound?

LloydQ
12-14-2017, 09:13 PM

I tend to disagree. I think cooking with the bones in greatly enhances the flavor. Lots of folks cut the bones off, then tie the meat back on for the cook. That way, they come off easily for carving.

smoke ninja
12-14-2017, 09:27 PM

Some folks swear by the hard sear method for brisket

Happy Hapgood
12-14-2017, 09:43 PM
Bones going to stay in for this one. Will take alittle longer but they do make good heat sinks once they warm up. I do have some precise temp measurement stuff. One probe in the center of each end to hit 120 - 125*F IT. Let rest 20 mins then sear to 130 - 135*F internal.

I still welocme any other input my Friends. What a Great response so far!

mchar69
12-14-2017, 09:53 PM
Bones create uneven cooking temps.
Bones DO NOT add flavor to roasts. (stews, soups, YES)
BONES PREVENT 30% of meat area from getting rubs,
and a delicious crust.
No bones, Tie up your fat trimmed roast to round,
cook evenly.

Hoss
12-14-2017, 09:58 PM
250 dome til desired doneness,it is not a steak,no sear required,it is Prime Rib.Rest for at least 15 minutes before slicing.That is all.If you MUST have a "sear", use a weedburner or rotate it over some really hot coals,BEFORE roasting it.Anything you pour or paste to the outside will burn during a sear except salt.Just sayin.If you are "adamant" about a sear,salt only,sear,Rest a few minutes,season and Roast.Reverse sear,just burns the coatings and flavors you want to add.Argue if you want to,but I speak the TRUTH!

tom b
12-14-2017, 10:45 PM
Bones going to stay in for this one. Will take alittle longer but they do make good heat sinks once they warm up. I do have some precise temp measurement stuff. One probe in the center of each end to hit 120 - 125*F IT. Let rest 20 mins then sear to 130 - 135*F internal.

I still welocme any other input my Friends. What a Great response so far!

this sound solid to me

silverfinger
12-14-2017, 10:49 PM
Looking good Mike!!
You could slice that thing into thick steaks and do a reverse sear on them, but either way that looks to be a great meal. I actually like the fat, so for me, I'd leave it alone and cook it like it is with, like you said, very light seasoning.

Enjoy!!

Burnt at Both Endz
12-15-2017, 06:23 AM
Bones create uneven cooking temps.
Bones DO NOT add flavor to roasts. (stews, soups, YES)
BONES PREVENT 30% of meat area from getting rubs,
and a delicious crust.
No bones, Tie up your fat trimmed roast to round,
cook evenly.

The first couple prime ribs I did had the bones tied on, it looked real cool, anymore I buy the boneless. Why pay for bones anyway, I like the extra seasoning on the crust, heck the ends are the best tasting part.

I couldn't really tell much difference in the flavor of the ones with the bones and the boneless, but I do look for the small end roasts.

viking72
12-15-2017, 06:27 AM
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/10888498_743458519082021_7176966041612127550_n.jpg ?oh=a37f0d556fcd5b321a0e48cf31f14bfd&oe=5AD18942

Jrogers84
12-15-2017, 07:02 AM
The first couple prime ribs I did had the bones tied on, it looked real cool, anymore I buy the boneless. Why pay for bones anyway, I like the extra seasoning on the crust, heck the ends are the best tasting part.

I couldn't really tell much difference in the flavor of the ones with the bones and the boneless, but I do look for the small end roasts.

Because bone in is 4.77/lb :) I honestly dont notice a difference in taste. I understand that some of the roast doesnt get rub but again were talking about a difference in basically one bite. I try not to overthink it. If I grab one and it has bones, I cook it with bones. If not, well obviously, no bones

As for cooking, cook it as low as you want to desired IT then sear the crap out of it. The lower the better. I usually cook to 115 so I can give it a few seconds longer over flame. Also because the piece is so thick and so little of it actually sees the seasoning feel free to go heavy on the salt.

Happy Hapgood
12-15-2017, 02:53 PM
Great info folks! Now I'm undecided on leaving the bones.

EdF
12-15-2017, 03:05 PM
Anything that applies to cooking in an oven, can be adapted to outdoor cookers. Me, I'd do low and slow to about 120-125, jack up the grill to 500F+, then cook it that way for 10 minutes or so covered to get some crust.

Backgrounder: https://www.evernote.com/l/AKIiF7QdI7ZAyIWk6OWSCxYfZk-fNtN4Rjk

Science: https://www.evernote.com/l/AKLoj7iVdlNAD4G2xIAp69E2N7MhmqF20aY

A recipe: https://www.evernote.com/l/AKIg2UpYkHpEOps-HUz9vYQaPYSdTCAJ2zk

Smoking Piney
12-15-2017, 03:12 PM
Great info folks! Now I'm undecided on leaving the bones.

I leave the bones on my roasts. I cut the meat away from them when I serve, and the bones are mine for later carnivore carnage. :-D

Lots of advice here, Toast. It's really not rocket science....just go for it.

Have a great cook and post pics! :-D

Burnt at Both Endz
12-15-2017, 03:24 PM
I leave the bones on my roasts. I cut the meat away from them when I serve, and the bones are mine for later carnivore carnage. :-D

Lots of advice here, Toast. It's really not rocket science....just go for it.

Have a great cook and post pics! :-D

I'd leave the bones on too, especially for the first roast. A guy always needs a baseline when smoking/cooking something new.

Happy Hapgood
12-15-2017, 10:45 PM
Some Great input. That's what makes this place what it is. Looking like bones in for this one and HH sear at the end. Going with Applewood chunks on the OTG. Pulling at 120*F IT and resting 30 mins then back on for a hot sear with new coals. Going to then trim off bones and hope to slice thin.

Going to brush with OO and sprinkle with Ksalt. Not sure what if any rub to use or pepper.

Thanks again folks for the input.

Cook
12-16-2017, 06:56 AM
That should go. You don't need to "trim" it...the entire thing will peel off in one piece. Pull up one of the corners on top, get your fingers under there, & rip it right off. Minimal, if any, trimming may follow. Of the thousands of rib loins I've done in my life, this is how I have done it. (although now I pay a premium for loins that don't have a cap...how's $12+ WHOLESALE sound to most of you? LoL)

Burnt at Both Endz
12-16-2017, 07:09 AM
That should go. You don't need to "trim" it...the entire thing will peel off in one piece. Pull up one of the corners on top, get your fingers under there, & rip it right off. Minimal, if any, trimming may follow. Of the thousands of rib loins I've done in my life, this is how I have done it. (although now I pay a premium for loins that don't have a cap...how's $12+ WHOLESALE sound to most of you? LoL)

I paid over $9/lb for mine this year and it took three times at the cooler to find it.:thumb: It's gonna be a good dinner this year.

mchar69
12-16-2017, 09:42 AM
Going to then trim off bones and hope to slice thin.
I slice thin the next day for steak and cheese, but about 1/2" at the table, maybe more.
When are you going to cook this?

EdF
12-16-2017, 09:49 AM
But.. But.. the cap is the best part!

Cook
12-16-2017, 10:22 PM
But.. But.. the cap is the best part!

I'm not referring to the deckle...but the cap on top of the deckle.

Happy Hapgood
12-16-2017, 10:35 PM
I slice thin the next day for steak and cheese, but about 1/2" at the table, maybe more.
When are you going to cook this?

Around Santa Claus time - 6 7 AM to be severed at 1 PM is the plan.

Hoss
12-16-2017, 10:43 PM
I was gonna cook a 4 bone,50 day dry aged,standing Rib Roast for Christmas,until my daughter decided she wanted to invite her new "boyfriend".Burgers and hot dogs it is ! Maybe smoked "Spam"!!! Or "Treet"

Happy Hapgood
12-16-2017, 10:44 PM
I was gonna cook a 4 bone,50 day dry aged,standing Rib Roast for Christmas,until my daughter decided she wanted to invite her new "boyfriend".Burgers and hot dogs it is ! Maybe smoked "Spam"!!! Or "Treet"

:tsk: My condolences Brother.

Hoss
12-16-2017, 10:50 PM
:tsk: My condolences Brother.

Damn daughters!

Hoss
12-16-2017, 10:57 PM
You can't tell how they will marry or vote.

EdF
12-17-2017, 11:18 AM
Damn daughters!

At least you're training him if he sticks around!

Happy Hapgood
12-17-2017, 09:10 PM
My Bride was convinced that the "Sell By" date was the expiration date 12/18/2017 and unless it's frozen it will spoil. I showed her the posts at this fine site and other references stating that it's just not so. No telling how much food she's thrown away over the years that was still good because of a date stamp.

Well Finally, once she got done raking the leaves and washing the cars today she went to the store and ran into the Butcher there. He told here no prob holding that rib roast until the 25th. I think hearing it from him, she got it.

Happy Hapgood
12-18-2017, 05:55 PM
For anyone else planning on rib roast or any other Holiday food, check out the Throwdown.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254703

mchar69
12-18-2017, 06:03 PM
Mike, have you gotten your wife golf spike shoes, in case it snows
and she has to shovel the driveway?
You don't want her to slip, you know :)

I just did a 4 +lber and it was 30 minutes per pound at 225 plus the sear, which was 20+ minutes -
it was quite pink, pulled it at 115, never checked the finished temp,
I guess I knew since I had 115 I was safe..... considering carry - over + sear.

Happy Hapgood
12-18-2017, 06:24 PM
Mike, have you gotten your wife golf spike shoes, in case it snows
and she has to shovel the driveway?
You don't want her to slip, you know :)

I just did a 4 +lber and it was 30 minutes per pound at 225 plus the sear, which was 20+ minutes -
it was quite pink, pulled it at 115, never checked the finished temp,
I guess I knew since I had 115 I was safe..... considering carry - over + sear.

That looks like it was a Great plan. This one is 8.44 lbs with bones. At 225*F at 1/2 hour per lb that puts it at about 4.25 hours to hit the IT you describe. Think I may fire up the WSM with my ATC to maintain 225*F on a nat's azz to keep from pulling the cover during the smoke then go for the sear. I guess I should rest it before the sear. Looking like the time line is right with an hour insurance time.

As far as LuzziAnn's shoes, I was thinking ice skates. She can move around quicker that way. :thumb:

mchar69
12-18-2017, 08:09 PM
She can move around quicker that way. :thumb:
Good thinking, she will be happy with that idea, you are sensitive!

Here goes an Imgur post from Sunday, not sure if it works...

https://imgur.com/a/snglF

mchar69
12-18-2017, 08:14 PM
I guess I should rest it before the sear.
Only because you will be vamping up the temp,
no way you would keep the meat on before the sear....

just blaze it on all 4 sides, maybe start on the rib side, if you keep the ribs on...
Sounds like a plan.

mchar69
12-18-2017, 08:20 PM
I might bump up the total cook time due to the bones....
Don't forget, it's a a big piece of meat and can hold for awhile.....

Happy Hapgood
12-18-2017, 09:09 PM
What do you guys think of this approach? How about that garlic thang? Still trying to learn. Looks a tad overdone to me with HH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-YusixMCkY

16Adams
12-19-2017, 04:48 AM
My Bride was convinced that the "Sell By" date was the expiration date 12/18/2017 and unless it's frozen it will spoil. I showed her the posts at this fine site and other references stating that it's just not so. No telling how much food she's thrown away over the years that was still good because of a date stamp.

Well Finally, once she got done raking the leaves and washing the cars today she went to the store and ran into the Butcher there. He told here no prob holding that rib roast until the 25th. I think hearing it from him, she got it.

If the butcher has that much power imagine the pool boys mojo.

Demosthenes9
12-21-2017, 02:02 PM
Couple of points. First, the bones. As I believe mchar (and others) have said, the bones really don't impart any additional flavor when cooking, at least not in this case. They will act as a heat buffer and will hinder consistency in your cook. The bottom side where the bones are will cook less than the rest of the roast. Add to that the loss of seasoning and bark. It's not just a bite that gets lost. It's the entire width of each piece and the length of the loin. Seriously, trim the bones off. If it's still in cryo, call the meat dept and ask if you can bring it back to them and have them remove the bones. Or, grab a knife and basically kind of filet the entire roast to remove the rib rack. If you want, throw the rib rack on a lower grate to act as a bit of a diffuser. Or use them for a nice soup.

Second point would be the cook time for loins like this isn't based on weight, but rather, on thickness of the shortest dimension of the loin. An 8lb 3bone loin that is 5 inches thick will take the same amount of time as an 18lb 7bone loin that is also 5 inches thick. (to be thorough, cook time will be determined by chamber temp, starting temp of the loin, and thickness of the loin. ) All that said, around 4 hours is a good rough guesstimate at 225ish with the meat coming somewhats straight from the fridge.

And yes, if doing a reverse sear, it works well to let the meat rest uncovered first to vent off the heat and for the carryover cooking to stop, then do the reverse sear.

Be ready to be flexible and adapt on the fly if needed. If it looks like it's cooking too fast for your schedule, you can drop chamber temp and slow it down. Or, finish early, vent and then hold it in the oven at 140ish. My oven won't set at that low of a temp, so I set it for 170 then turn it off as it passes 145 (digital controls).

If your cook is going slower than you want, you can crank the heat up to about 250-265 and still get a consistent, edge to edge color. If you go too much higher, the meat will end up with a "bullseye" effect where it's much more done on the outer edges and gets rarer as you go to the center (This applies to the entire loin where outer pieces on each end will be more done than those in the middle, but also to each slice, where the outer inch or two will be more done than the center of slice.)

SirPorkaLot
12-21-2017, 02:29 PM
Couple of points. First, the bones. As I believe mchar (and others) have said, the bones really don't impart any additional flavor when cooking, at least not in this case. They will act as a heat buffer and will hinder consistency in your cook. The bottom side where the bones are will cook less than the rest of the roast. Add to that the loss of seasoning and bark. It's not just a bite that gets lost. It's the entire width of each piece and the length of the loin. Seriously, trim the bones off.

I have read this time and time again and it just doesnít match my experience.
I always have a better product with bone-in when I smoke.

I feel the bone does provide a buffer and as such I always position my rib roast with the bones towards the heat.

I cook at 250F and cut the bones out after the smoke not before.

I always get an even cook with this method.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171221/8c48d6f7cb584a7a3fa58ee0ca3c86c0.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171221/5e58aa44e830e4f5c01ebc9e759d87cf.jpg

Demosthenes9
12-21-2017, 04:42 PM
I have read this time and time again and it just doesn’t match my experience.
I always have a better product with bone-in when I smoke.

I feel the bone does provide a buffer and as such I always position my rib roast with the bones towards the heat.

I cook at 250F and cut the bones out after the smoke not before.

I always get an even cook with this method.

That's some beautiful looking PR! I think we might just have a different perception on the subject. The lower the chamber temp while cooking, the less the difference will be.

https://i.imgur.com/Aesf9Vv.jpg

Please forgive my lack of graphic/artistic skills. The meat in areas labeled 1 and 2 looks to be close to a full step less done than the rest (midrare compared to medium). Not a huge difference, but one that is discernible. I'd eat it in a heart beat, but others in my extended family might trim that part away.

SirPorkaLot
12-21-2017, 05:00 PM
Area 1 is the best bite on the whole cow though. So Iíll take all the trimmings ;)

Demosthenes9
12-21-2017, 05:16 PM
Area 1 is the best bite on the whole cow though. So Iíll take all the trimmings ;)

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Happy Hapgood
12-21-2017, 05:26 PM
Great input guys and Thanks!

smoke ninja
12-21-2017, 05:55 PM

I have always been partial to the rib cap but ill make note of that bite when i do mine.

Im not stuck on bones on or off. I mix it up. Bones off they can be a nice set of bbq beef backs. You also lose that extra fat on the tail.

I cook low enough that it cooks even either way.

Cant wait for prime rib: hungry:

jasonjax
12-21-2017, 07:22 PM
Bones off for me this year since I am going to sous vide and finish on the pellet pooper for the sear.

Cook
12-21-2017, 07:27 PM
I have always been partial to the rib cap but ill make note of that bite when i do mine.

If you're referring to the deckle, then that #1 bite is part of it. And yes...the rib deckle is one of the best parts of the whole dang cow.

PS...the point of the brisket is the brisket deckle...same premise.

jasonjax
12-21-2017, 07:35 PM
If you're referring to the deckle, then that #1 bite is part of it. And yes...the rib deckle is one of the best parts of the whole dang cow.

PS...the point of the brisket is the brisket deckle...same premise.

Mmmmmmm. Love me some spinalis.

Happy Hapgood
12-21-2017, 07:45 PM
There are several Great Prime Rib threads in Q-Talk right now. But it's getting down to the nut cuttin'. I'll be formulating the final plan Saturday. In the meantime, going to continue to learn from the Pros at this fine site.

Thanks again to everyone for the input and Merry Christmas to All.

mchar69
12-21-2017, 07:50 PM
Did we ever mention to use the trimmed fat to melt in a pot and make your gravy.
My last roast on Sunday - I was not sure what time the meat would be done, but damned sure the sides would not hold me up,
gravy, mashed potatoes, crab stuffed mushrooms, asparagus -
all done on time, waiting for the meat...
Then wham bam! Thank you ma'am.

mchar69
12-21-2017, 07:58 PM
For Gravy, 1:1 melted fat and butter,
so 4 Tb melted beef fat, 4 Tb flour,
whisk and make a roux, then 2 cups HOT
beef broth, red wine, a Knorr Beef Boullion cube (start with a 1/2)
simmer this, maybe add pepper.
After your roast is out, add the small amount of drippings from the pan.
You can reduce the gravy, but get on it, people are HONGRY at this point, everything else is on the table.

tom b
12-21-2017, 09:57 PM
I have been following along quietly, some great info in this thread

Demosthenes9
12-22-2017, 12:04 AM
Aaaaaack, gravy? On Prime Rib? This isn't a hunk of bottom round or chuck roast. It's freaking Prime Rib. At most, make an au jus.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Beentown
12-22-2017, 07:26 AM
Prepared horseradish
Sour cream
Mayo
Lemon juice
Green onion
Pepper

Mmmm...mmmm....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Cook
12-22-2017, 09:44 AM
Mmmmmmm. Love me some spinalis.

It's good stuff...

mchar69
12-22-2017, 12:07 PM
Aaaaaack, gravy? On Prime Rib? This isn't a hunk of bottom round or chuck roast. It's freaking Prime Rib. At most, make an au jus.

Oh, I agree, but the gravy is for the potatoes. Had a guest over and she poured gravy on the meat and I blurted out "What are you doing?"
Horseradish sauce and au jus for me.

Happy Hapgood
12-22-2017, 05:52 PM
Starting to work up the final plan - ruff draft.

Target serving time 1:45 - 2 PM Christmas day.

1. Pull roast from fridge @ 11:30 PM on the 24th to assume room temp no later than 5AM Christmas morning. Place probe in rib to monitor during the night.

2. Coals lit 5 AM for 5:45 roast on temp at 250*F.
Roast on 5:45 AM @ 250*F. Hickory smoke chucks.

3. Between 5 and 5:45 prep roast and tie.
Still undecided on what to use for seasoning. As of now, Ksalt and pepper with canolia oil base.

4. 120 - 125*F IT.

5. Rest 30 mins.

6. Reverse sear on gasser between 400 - 500*F.

7. Hold in oven @200*F if required.

8. Cut off bones and slice.

I still welcome any input on this plan and Thanks to all who have contributed!

Smoking Piney
12-22-2017, 06:03 PM
Be mindful of the time after you sear if you intend to hold.

Holding at 200 will continue the cooking and will waste the effort you put into getting it done the way you want if you hold at that temp too long. You want to slice and serve soon after resting.

Rib roasts cook surprisingly fast. I would put it on the cooker no more than 4 hours from planned serving time. This will give you time to cook and rest. You can build hold time into the rest if you need to (tent it in an unheated oven) before you sear. If you plan to serve appetizers, that will keep your guests happy while you sear it and bring it in for the big presentation. No need for another rest.

Rib roasts don't hold well with traditional methods, and timing is everything. I agonize over timing every time I cook a rib roast for guests.

Cook
12-22-2017, 06:48 PM
You say 120-125* internal. My question is this...is that the temp you intend to pull off the pit, or is the final temp you are aiming for. Regardless the answer, remember that a rib loin will go up by a full 10* in the rest. If you're aiming for 125*, you need to pull at 115*. If you are pulling at 125*, you will see 135* meat when you slice. All of this is assuming a rest of at least 30 minutes (which you certainly need).

DO NOT hold in a 200* oven...don't even hold in a 170* oven (the lowest temperature most ovens will go). You'll be overcooked. Heck...I often cook a whole loin at 200*...so there's that.

I will get flack from the "but you'll lose your crust" monsters at this suggestion, but putting the loin in an impeccably clean cooler to rest will work just fine. I have held for more than four hours with nothing but steam coming out when I opened it up for service (catering). I have coolered as many as eight ( 8 ) loins for a single catering job...not one complaint. I've never eaten a crusty prime rib in my life so I don't feel I'm missing anything.

You do as you please...it's your piece of meat.

Smoking Piney
12-22-2017, 07:07 PM
I will get flack from the "but you'll lose your crust" monsters at this suggestion, but putting the loin in an impeccably clean cooler to rest will work just fine. I have held for more than four hours with nothing but steam coming out when I opened it up for service (catering). I have coolered as many as eight ( 8 ) loins for a single catering job...not one complaint.

Good to know - thanks! :-D

I've always been scared of holding a rib roast for fear of over cooking. Crust is nice, but not a must for me. I just want a well cooked. well seasoned roast.

I have a cambro with plenty of room for a rib roast. :-D

mchar69
12-22-2017, 07:10 PM
I agonize over timing every time I cook a rib roast for guests.I agree, that's why last Sunday all sides were ready, plates were warm in the oven,
once the roast was ready, it all came together nicely.

Mike I left a regular old meat thermometer in it to see immediately.
I'd go 225 for 30 min a pound, then high sear under broiler or grill
to brown it nicely .. 20 minutes or more, rolled.. get good Maillard color.
but that's just me.

If you notice, this is a pic after dinner, the cut edges are drying out.
Still tasty, but outside edge overdone.
https://i.imgur.com/8LPzRrMl.jpg

Smoking Piney
12-22-2017, 07:13 PM
That's a mighty big pic, mchar. :shock:

mchar69
12-22-2017, 07:14 PM
That's a mighty big pic, mchar. :shock:I was hongry. FIXED:)

Smoking Piney
12-22-2017, 07:15 PM
i was hongry. Fixed:)

lol!

mchar69
12-22-2017, 07:21 PM
Thank you for posting this - so I understand - you pull them at 120 -just say-
and pile 3 or 6 etc.. in a cooler? or 2 to a cooler?
I get it, they should stay pink...and I'll never do that, just wanna know.. thanks!

I will get flack from the "but you'll lose your crust" monsters at this suggestion, but putting the loin in an impeccably clean cooler to rest will work just fine. I have held for more than four hours with nothing but steam coming out when I opened it up for service (catering). I have coolered as many as eight ( 8 ) loins for a single catering job...not one complaint. I've never eaten a crusty prime rib in my life so I don't feel I'm missing anything.

Happy Hapgood
12-22-2017, 08:55 PM
Dang! Just got finished with a 2.5 hour windows upgrade!

mchar69
12-22-2017, 09:59 PM
How about some crab-stuffed mushrooms w/ cheese on top, mashed potatoes, some asparagus, and the beefy goodness?

https://i.imgur.com/PrcP0Thl.jpg

Happy Hapgood
12-22-2017, 10:38 PM
You say 120-125* internal. My question is this...is that the temp you intend to pull off the pit, or is the final temp you are aiming for. Regardless the answer, remember that a rib loin will go up by a full 10* in the rest. If you're aiming for 125*, you need to pull at 115*. If you are pulling at 125*, you will see 135* meat when you slice. All of this is assuming a rest of at least 30 minutes (which you certainly need).

DO NOT hold in a 200* oven...don't even hold in a 170* oven (the lowest temperature most ovens will go). You'll be overcooked. Heck...I often cook a whole loin at 200*...so there's that.

BAM! Sound like a good plan and Thanks!

Demosthenes9
12-22-2017, 10:53 PM
Starting to work up the final plan - ruff draft.

Target serving time 1:45 - 2 PM Christmas day.

1. Pull roast from fridge @ 11:30 PM on the 24th to assume room temp no later than 5AM Christmas morning. Place probe in rib to monitor during the night.

2. Coals lit 5 AM for 5:45 roast on temp at 250*F.
Roast on 5:45 AM @ 250*F. Hickory smoke chucks.

3. Between 5 and 5:45 prep roast and tie.
Still undecided on what to use for seasoning. As of now, Ksalt and pepper with canolia oil base.

4. 120 - 125*F IT.

5. Rest 30 mins.

6. Reverse sear on gasser between 400 - 500*F.

7. Hold in oven @200*F if required.

8. Cut off bones and slice.

I still welcome any input on this plan and Thanks to all who have contributed!

Couple of issues. First and foremost, there's no need to bring the loin to room temp first. Go straight from fridge, to the counter for seasoning (if not dry brining) then into the smoker. IF you absolutely want to bring to room temp first, then you need to factor that into your planned cook time as it will be much, much shorter. For example, it might take 5 hours in a 225 degree chamber for a PR to go from 40 degrees to 120ish. IF you are starting with a PR already at about 65 - 70 degrees, it will reach 120ish in much less time than 5 hours. It won't be a straight line linear function either as it takes more time at lower temps to go up 1 degree. It might take 30 mins to go from 40 to 45 degrees, where as later in the cook it might take 15 mins to go from 80 to 85.

Trying to figure out the best order to address other things as things can vary. Guess it would work to skip ahead to the sear. You definitely want to let the meat rest for the 30 mins before searing. BUT, when to actually sear depends on how the cook matches up to your timeline. IF the roast comes out about 45 mins before you are ready to eat, then rest it for 30, do the sear and then carve it up.

On the other hand, IF your PR is at temp well ahead of time, let it rest then hold it without searing. As others have noted, you definitely want to avoid holding at 200. After venting for the 30mins, cover with foil and put it in an unlit oven. If you have one, put a temp probe in the oven to monitor temp. Turn the oven on and set it for the lowest temp possible (mine is digital and 170 is the lowest it will go.) As the oven temp ramps up and hits 145ish, turn the oven off and just let it coast. When temp drops back down to 135ish, turn it on again, rinse/repeat.

This can be a PITA, but at 140ish, you can hold a PR almost all day.

Check your clock and when you are about an hour away from serving time, remove the PR from the oven, take off the foil, crank the oven up to 500 then do the reverse sear.

One important thing to note is the cooking time for PR is NOT, NOT, NOT determined by the weight of the loin. Basically, three things determine cook time, 1. chamber temp, 2. initial internal temp of the loin, and lastly, the thickness of the loin at it's shortest dimension. An 8lb 3 bone loin that is 5 inches thick will take just as long to cook as a 18lb 7bone loin that is also 5 inches thick. Said another way, that 18lb 7bone loin will cook just as fast as the 8lb 3bone loin.

***** yes, there are times when stars align and it works out that a PR took 30 mins per pound to cook, but believe it or not, that is coincidental. A loin that was X thick happened to weigh just the right amount so that the numbers worked out.

Happy Hapgood
12-22-2017, 11:06 PM
Some more Great input my Friends! This thing is starting to come together. Based on all the input, minor tweaks will be needed but now I'm feeling a lot more confident about the this cook!

Demosthenes9
12-22-2017, 11:09 PM
Some more Great input my Friends! This thing is starting to come together. Based on all the input, minor tweaks will be needed but now I'm feeling a lot more confident about the this cook!

Cool. FWIW, PR is actually one of the easiest cooks to do. People just get freaked out because it's usually an expensive cut of meat.

Keep your temps below 250 if you can, cook til 120 - 125, rest, (hold if necessary) sear, serve. Should take around 4 hours plus/minus 30 mins straight from fridge (unless your's has a larger than avg girth).

If you haven't read it yet, check out Gore's post starting this thread:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150482

Forgot to mention, my prep is to slather in olive oil then hit it hard with Ksalt and coarse ground pepper

tom b
12-22-2017, 11:25 PM
I think I'm going with Q-salt....

Cook
12-23-2017, 06:21 AM
Good to know - thanks! :-D

I've always been scared of holding a rib roast for fear of over cooking. Crust is nice, but not a must for me. I just want a well cooked. well seasoned roast.

I have a cambro with plenty of room for a rib roast. :-D

I've never had one go up more than 10 degrees (+/- a couple of *). That's why I always cook at 10* under my target.

Cook
12-23-2017, 06:27 AM
Thank you for posting this - so I understand - you pull them at 120 -just say-
and pile 3 or 6 etc.. in a cooler? or 2 to a cooler?
I get it, they should stay pink...and I'll never do that, just wanna know.. thanks!

If they are pulled at 120, they will be 130 within the hour. And yes, in the past I have held up to 8 in a cooler.

Pro Tip: If held unwrapped in a cooler for an hour or more, the juice that collects in said cooler will be some of the best "natural" au jus you will find.

lastmajordude
12-23-2017, 08:09 AM
Smokey Pine....that is some WICKED looking beef there brother!!

Happy Hapgood
12-24-2017, 11:53 PM
OK, it's gettin' down to the nut cuttin now.

Pulled the roast for room temp in the early AM.

https://i.imgur.com/U3sNASo.jpg

Temp probe in. Target temp from this point 120*F before sear.

https://i.imgur.com/N0UbgTk.jpg

Clay-b-que
12-25-2017, 12:04 AM
And?!?

Happy Hapgood
12-25-2017, 12:10 AM
And?!?

And now go to bed for me anyway. I'll get an alarm on my phone if the IT exceeds 68*F IT. Then it's time to get up and prep.

Trying to document for folks like myself that have never done one before. Have you done one?

16Adams
12-25-2017, 06:56 AM
Cold pink meat and cutt’n Nuts on the bayou. Bound to be a song there somewhere. Have a Merry Christmas in the swamp.

Ag76
12-25-2017, 09:46 AM

Cook:

Do you sear, reverse sear, or neither?

Big George's BBQ
12-25-2017, 10:06 AM
I cooked the one I did a while back indirect on the Egg till 120 Took it off and wrapped it and set the Egg for direct 15-20 minutes later I had searing temp I seared the roast and we ate It was awesome Did not have to wait as it already had the rest waiting for the Egg to come up to temp

Big George's BBQ
12-25-2017, 10:08 AM
Mike that looks like a beautiful piece of meat

mchar69
12-25-2017, 11:08 AM
Let's see it trimmed and rubbed up.

Clay-b-que
12-25-2017, 11:14 AM
And now go to bed for me anyway. I'll get an alarm on my phone if the IT exceeds 68*F IT. Then it's time to get up and prep.

Trying to document for folks like myself that have never done one before. Have you done one?

Doing my first one today! Didn't read the whole thread last night so I thought you were actually doing it yesterday :doh: Can't wait to see how this turns out. I am nervous and my wife is questioning everything I am doing so I hope this turns out or I will hear about it for the rest of my life.

Here's my plan. Dry aged for 5 days. I cut off the fat and bones yesterday and seasoned with salt. I am going to take it out around noon and put on the rub I made from meatheads site with OO. Then on the offset around 1:00. Around a 5 pounder so thinking 2 and a half hours. Rest for 30 minutes. Sear for 20 minutes on the gasser. Slice and serve.

Good luck!

Garyclaw
12-25-2017, 11:17 AM
Is it done yet?

mchar69
12-25-2017, 11:42 AM
Clay, are you at 225? I think you're onto it - watch that temp and pull at 120ish, you don't have to let it rest that long. Then reverse sear.
A 4 pounder last Sunday was right around 2 hours.

Clay-b-que
12-25-2017, 11:57 AM
Clay, are you at 225? I think you're onto it - watch that temp and pull at 120ish, you don't have to let it rest that long. Then reverse sear.
A 4 pounder last Sunday was right around 2 hours.

Yes I will try to get it dialed in between 225 and 250. Another factor is that I have never used the offset in 20 degree weather either! I am sure it will be fine but there are a bunch of firsts today:shocked: I am planning to pull it at 115. Rest it to 120 then sear to 130. Or pull at 115 and then no rest and right to sear to 125? Information overload!!!

Big George's BBQ
12-25-2017, 01:51 PM
How is it going

mchar69
12-25-2017, 08:01 PM
Or pull at 115 and then no rest and right to sear to 125? Information overload!!!
Clay I know you've pulled it already, but for folks wanting to learn,
YOU ARE in DENVER, cooking is a little different there.
Your pull rest and sear (115, 140, 130) are about 5 degrees too little
for many flatlanders. We do 120, pull, then up to 135 sear.
its all good anyways.

mchar69
12-25-2017, 08:05 PM
MIKE "Toast" just texted me and said he burnt the roast to a crisp.
they ordered pizza instead,
he is so bummed he can't reply to this thread.

mchar69
12-25-2017, 08:12 PM
That's a lie, I just tried to throw a worm in the water to
lure Mike out - no bite !
he is in Beef Oblivion on the couch, I'm sure...

mchar69
12-25-2017, 08:14 PM
How is it going
Like the Texans today...

Clay-b-que
12-25-2017, 08:33 PM
Pulled at 118 let it rest 30 minutes and seared until 125 IT. Here you go. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171226/810bb7931f4c5ad3c3e38c6e32e49b80.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171226/f21a32850288e51ecd7d66320f6c9bf9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171226/c6c69bc83ad69729b92a9441ff76a965.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171226/2d6ae3759ba8fd5a622bcc418daf0d75.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clay-b-que
12-25-2017, 08:35 PM
You can't see it in the pictures but the smoke ring was really great. And it looks more overdone in the pictures than it was. Melt in your mouth and the meathead rub was really nice. Wife won't leave me....today...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Happy Hapgood
12-25-2017, 09:16 PM
Will post tomorrow. Too full to post tonight ��

Clay-b-que
12-25-2017, 09:17 PM
Sorry for the hijack toast! Merry Christmas and can't wait to see the post tomorrow!

Big George's BBQ
12-25-2017, 10:00 PM
Looking forward to your post Mike. Too full means it was good. Hope you had a nice Christmas

Happy Hapgood
12-26-2017, 04:10 PM
Sorry for the hijack toast! Merry Christmas and can't wait to see the post tomorrow!

No prob and hope y'all had a Merry Christmas too! :-D

Happy Hapgood
12-26-2017, 05:17 PM
OK, the follow up. Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and a Big Thanks to everyone who posted to make this a very successful cook.

Pulled the beast out about 11PM on the 24th to get close to room temp. Have set up the WSM the night before with KBB and Hickory chunks. Had a Weber starter cube under a 1/3 full chimney of KBB. Target temp was 250*F smoker temp. My original plan was to be up at 6AM, light the smoker and prep the rib. Due to the consumption of adult beverages and good cheer the night before I managed to get moving around 7:45. The IT temp of the rib after setting out all night was only 58*F. Had to go with it as company was on the way at 1PM. Did not remove any fat cap and only went with ksalt and course ground pepper.

https://i.imgur.com/wM6mifR.jpg

Went in, got cleaned up for company etc and temps were rock solid on the smoker and temp steadily climbing. Only took about 2 hours to hit target temp of 120*F.

https://i.imgur.com/Su2Hi8B.png

https://i.imgur.com/wEwlNmD.jpg

Pulled and tented with foil to rest with the intention of a reverse sear on the gasser but the carryover temp kept rising so I wanted to see how high it would go. It climbed to 133*F after approx 45 mins. 135*F was my target temp IT so I called it good.

https://i.imgur.com/5feByQq.png

No brown edge on this one.

https://i.imgur.com/L0cAPTg.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/H4qqBNn.jpg

My plate.

https://i.imgur.com/4xWzEWz.jpg

This skinny Nephew ate all of that plate!

https://i.imgur.com/9B2XXjX.jpg

Take aways from this cook as follows:
1. Trimming fat closer next time.
2. Removing bones precook.
3. Researching prim rib carving.
4. Much easier and faster to smoke than brisket.
5. Farking super sharp carving knifes!

Man it was good. Going to enter the TD and Thanks for lookin'.

Blythewood BBQ'er
12-26-2017, 05:50 PM
Nailed it! Great job Mike! Hopefully I can get one on the Octoforks New Year's Day. I went on call @ 7 am yesterday so I couldn't cook anything for the fear of the phone ring. Get off call @7am New Year's Day so hopefully! Great job again on your first Ribber!

tom b
12-26-2017, 05:56 PM
Excellent cook Mike! Thanks for the thread it kept me from going anywhere else to refresh my memory for ours.

Big George's BBQ
12-26-2017, 08:24 PM
You nailed that Mike Perfectly cooked Your Nephews face says it all

mchar69
12-26-2017, 09:02 PM
Mike, it looks good and your notes are sound.
As coach Sean Payton says, Practice, Practice, Practice.
So, New Years' Eve looks good to me!
Honestly, recency etches it into your brain, look at the chefs here...
they do this stuff all the time. Do it next weekend again.

"remove rib bones pre-cook"

don't forget to truss that roast as round as can be and season / rub.
It will cook more even, being totally round. Looks very tasty.
I try and cut that big piece of fat out and then truss it up w/ kitchen string.
If you didn't tie it up, it would all fall apart.

mchar69
12-26-2017, 09:16 PM
Mike, as far as Carving,
if you had a bone in, it's simply run a long knife down the bone to separate,
like almost filleting a fish. See, you got that.
Keep the knife in contact with the bone.
Now you have cut the bones off the meat and put the meat on the plate,
wondering why you got a bone-in rib roast.
Usually 1/2" is PLENTY.
https://i.imgur.com/ADBA12Hl.jpg

Happy Hapgood
12-26-2017, 10:39 PM
Thanks folks! It was a Feast to be remembered!

Mcar69, that looks Great! You should start a thread on how to do it!

Ag76
12-27-2017, 10:54 AM
Excellent job, Brother Toast. Did not take you long to get that down. This thread has been an excellent instructional tool for me too.

garyk1398
12-27-2017, 12:36 PM
Bravo Mike!
Bravo !!!
:eusa_clap

Happy Hapgood
12-27-2017, 07:33 PM
Nailed it! Great job Mike! Hopefully I can get one on the Octoforks New Year's Day. I went on call @ 7 am yesterday so I couldn't cook anything for the fear of the phone ring. Get off call @7am New Year's Day so hopefully! Great job again on your first Ribber!

Man I hope you will post some pic's of your cook. I've seen some of your work. :thumb: