PDA

View Full Version : Got That Dreaded Phonecall...I'm at The Store, Which Smoker Do I Get??

Stlsportster
12-14-2017, 05:23 PM
For my husband....he really likes your food and wants to try. Getting him a smoker for a present!

Sometimes it's extremely difficult. Try to explain to my friend's wife, while she is standing in front of the 6 models at Menards (while she occasionally covers the phone to yell at her kids to get off/down/away from that), that it depends on how he likes to cook. She tells me she uses a natural gas grill but her husband likes to use charcoal because he considers it 'more manly' (her words, not mine).

So I tell her he may want a charcoal smoker instead of gas or electric...she says she doesn't see one right there. I suggest he may like a pellet grill? She says he wants a smoker not a grill...grrr she doesn't understand.

So she says, what brand is good....ummmm...well Masterbuilt? Smoke Hollow? Camp Chef? She says OOOHH, they have a Smoke Hollow, do I get the gas or electric. I try to explain the differences and she say...I don't think I want him messing with a propane tank...I'll get the electric.

Now what kind of chips? Oh boy.

So in the end I tell her...whatever you get him will be fine for someone just starting out...but expect that if he likes it...he will want to pick something for himself in a few months.

Hope I did the brother solid...

I hate getting these calls...How do you handle them?

JimmyR1Rider
12-14-2017, 05:26 PM
I think you did the best you could as well as the best to be expected from any of us considering all the variables.

16Adams
12-14-2017, 05:29 PM
Anyone that asks gets the same answer:

https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Pit-Barrel-Cooker-Package/dp/B00BQMDZYY

Excellent support
YouTube instructional videos
PBC Website Videos for most common meats
Assembled set up in minutes
Ready to cook in 15-20 minutes
Delivery to your door
Works every time

angryelfFan
12-14-2017, 05:30 PM
I start with asking the budget and see if he is a hands on or off type of guy. Good way to start narrowing it down.

Stlsportster
12-14-2017, 05:32 PM
Anyone that asks gets the same answer:

https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Pit-Barrel-Cooker-Package/dp/B00BQMDZYY

Excellent support
YouTube instructional videos
PBC Website Videos for most common meats
Assembled set up in minutes
Ready to cook in 15-20 minutes
Delivery to your door
Works every time

Yeah...I tried going there with the suggestion of a charcoal smoker but she wasn't having it.

Rockinar
12-14-2017, 05:53 PM
I would have done the guy a solid and told her about Lone Star Grillz, and pretended nothing else exists.

Stlsportster
12-14-2017, 05:58 PM
I would have done the guy a solid and told her about Lone Star Grillz, and pretended nothing else exists.

If only they carried LSG at Menards!

JokerBroker
12-14-2017, 06:07 PM
As soon as she said she was at Menards, that kind of set the tone. Maybe you could have suggested to her that she was better off giving him a smoker than getting him a smoker.:thumb:

Westx
12-14-2017, 08:14 PM
If she was in STL you should have sent her to STL BBQ Store.

SmittyJonz
12-14-2017, 08:17 PM
Tell her to head over to Home Depot and buy a WSM or order a Hunsaker Drum or a Gateway.

SmittyJonz
12-14-2017, 08:18 PM
if she was in stl you should have sent her to stl bbq store.

Even Better - they have Backwwooods and Humphreys In Stock plus Gateway Drums and Pit Barrel Cookers.. :thumb:

mchar69
12-14-2017, 08:18 PM
SIMPLE - A UDS is obviously the answer.

Shagdog
12-14-2017, 08:23 PM
I always recommend a wsm or a pbc. Always. If they push for electric or gas I explain the poor build quality, but more importantly, I point out how poorly they actually work. Once i explain how much easier it is to put out proper food in the wsm or PBC, they’re usually on board.

Nuco59
12-14-2017, 08:25 PM
Fake a bad connection - hang up in mid-syllable and don't answer when she re-dials. There's some things you can't fix- that's one of them.

SmittyJonz
12-14-2017, 08:28 PM
if she's Local and hasn't bought anything - tell her to meet you at St Louis BBQ Store and you can do a Show n Tell and educate her.......

Stlsportster
12-14-2017, 08:31 PM
I figure it's too late now, but once her husband calls me and he gets into it, this one will end up on Craigslist and I'll hook him up then.

SmittyJonz
12-14-2017, 08:37 PM
I've made some Pretty Decent Q in my Masterbuilt Electric..........

bonz50
12-14-2017, 09:05 PM
I've made some Pretty Decent Q in my Masterbuilt Electric..........

My dad uses one on occasion and he turns out some pretty decent stuff, granted not as good as I turn out on the WSM tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kanco Connection
12-14-2017, 10:09 PM
Iím with Adams: PBC

bonehead762
12-14-2017, 10:16 PM

Hilarious.

Badjak
12-14-2017, 11:00 PM
Just wondering: couldn't you say that it is a very personal thing and she should ask hubby to come with?
And if it gotta be a surprise, just make a voucher with something on it like "good for a smoker of choice"....