PDA

View Full Version : "Standing Rib Eye Roast" = Prime Rib Roast?

bonehead762
12-14-2017, 03:00 PM
A local small chain of stores has "Standing Rib Eye Roast" for $4.95 per lb.

Is this a good price?

Is a "Standing Rib Eye Roast" the same as a "Prime Rib Roast"?

HumboldtSmokeBBQ
12-14-2017, 03:08 PM
yes
yes, just not the 'prime section'.

smoke ninja
12-14-2017, 03:11 PM
The term prime in prime rib predates usda gradings of choice select and prime. Possibly rib primal?

Either way itll be good. Look for marbling and a nice rib cap (outer muscle)

For comparison i saw nice looking bone in choice at kroger for $6 or 7 a lbs. Boneless is $9 lbs at costco last year

Evil-g
12-14-2017, 03:13 PM
Same deal no difference at all, unless you buy an actual "Prime" roast as in the grade of the beef.

HumboldtSmokeBBQ
12-14-2017, 03:25 PM
The term prime in prime rib predates usda gradings of choice select and prime. Possibly rib primal?

For comparison i saw nice looking bone in choice at kroger for $6 or 7 a lbs. Boneless is $9 lbs at costco last year

Prime having nothing to do with the USDA grading of beef. I was told it was prime rib if it is a cut from a certain rib range.

Burnt at Both Endz
12-14-2017, 03:44 PM

^^^agreed!

I picked up a boneless at Sam's Club last Sat morning, I have a business card so we get in a little early on Saturday. It could be just my imagination, but it seems like they always/sometimes put out nicer cuts of meat during those hours...anyway found a real nice one, brought it home, vacuumed sealed it and into the frig until New Years. We have a tradition of having prime rib for lunch on New years day.

mchar69
12-14-2017, 04:14 PM
"Prime Rib" was called that due to the fact it's a 'Primal Cut', from the Rib.
The grading of the meat matters.
Select should be avoided, no marbling in evidence.
Choice is very good, pick one that's marbled.
A Prime grade roast is silly marbled, gonna set you back $$.

mchar69
12-14-2017, 04:15 PM
Hey Burnt at Both Endz - will it keep in the fridge that long - just had a friend ask me, I told I think so..... why vac pack??? Thanks.

anyway found a real nice one, brought it home, vacuumed sealed it and into the frig until New Years. We have a tradition of having prime rib for lunch on New years day.

bonehead762
12-14-2017, 04:40 PM
So...I got the whole rack, 21 lbs. Iím assuming that includes the prime section.

Iím in the process of moving so neither house has an oven. I was thinking of trying to cram the whole 21 lbs into my toaster oven, what do you think? ;-) jk.

I probably wouldnít know a ďprimeĒ cut of meat if it bit me in the mouth but judging from the end itís got pretty good marbling.

Iíve got a friend whoís a meat cutter. Iím gonna have him cut it up for me. I was thinking 1/3? - 1/4? - 1/2? left whole for a roast and then cut the rest into rib eye steaks.

Good? Bad? Ideas? Suggestions?

Burnt at Both Endz
12-14-2017, 05:14 PM
Hey Burnt at Both Endz - will it keep in the fridge that long - just had a friend ask me, I told I think so..... why vac pack??? Thanks.

If it doesn't I'll be able to smell my mistake.:sick:

It'll keep longer with no air pockets, some think that in a real cool frig that you can wet age them a little more.

Burnt at Both Endz
12-14-2017, 05:15 PM
Iíve got a friend whoís a meat cutter. Iím gonna have him cut it up for me. I was think 1/3? - 1/4? - 1/2? left whole for a roast and then cut the rest into rib eye steaks.

Good? Bad? Ideas? Suggestions?

Excellent Idea!

Happy Hapgood
12-14-2017, 05:28 PM
The wife is picking one up now on sale at Kroger for $4.99 lb, Choice grade. It will be my 1st. Going to do it for Christmas day.

Smokeymagoo
12-14-2017, 05:31 PM
Yea, by two.. I will let you know that here in Florida a lot of the Meat Markets have an economy line of meat that is imported from Mexico. It will actually say product of Mexico, non USDA. The USDA grade meat will be there but I significantly higher price. This is where I draw the line so you may want to ask when you get there.

Smokey