PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum sealers need your help

ClintHTX
12-14-2017, 02:12 PM
I am cooking 3 briskets and 2 pork shoulders for work next Thursday. Due to space Iím going to cook 1 brisket and 2 shoulders this weekend. Let it rest. Vacuum seal and into ice bath only to reheat next Thursday in a pan of water. The other two briskets I plan on cooking Wednesday night into Thursday morning. How long can the brisket last in the vacuum seal before it needs to be frozen? Will I jeopardize it by freezing the cooked brisket?

smokeswirl
12-14-2017, 02:24 PM
ive had brisket and other smoked meat sealed for a couple of weeks and eat them. Often times the smoke flavor improves over time but the texture of the meat is best just after cooking

ClintHTX
12-14-2017, 02:52 PM
ive had brisket and other smoked meat sealed for a couple of weeks and eat them. Often times the smoke flavor improves over time but the texture of the meat is best just after cooking

Yes thatís what I figured. Just wanted to make sure how long it could last in fridge sealed. I smoked briskets last July 4th. Vacuum sealed and it Turned out almost as good as fresh. This will be a good side by side comparison.

IamMadMan
12-14-2017, 03:05 PM
It's a personal choice for me, but if I'm not using it in 3 days, I freeze it even if I know I am going to serve it in a week.

I'd rather error on the side of caution / safety rather than take a risk.

I'm sure it might last the week, but I personally have never done so.

EdF
12-14-2017, 03:06 PM
5 days sealed in a cool fridge following a shocking should be just fine.

smokeswirl
12-15-2017, 11:19 AM
I use the smell test. IF it smells okay i will eat it. The salt and smoke acts as a preservative so i dont worry too much.

chopper mech
12-15-2017, 12:15 PM
No more than 5 days, after that the texture of the meat changes. At least for me it did.