PDA

View Full Version : Attention Shoprite shoppers.....prime rib roast $4.77/lb with coupon

daninnewjersey
12-14-2017, 08:20 AM
Can anyone go to a supermarket and NOT at least check out the meat section? Found this beauty while I was scanning for deals....they had them laying on the roasts. If you don't see any, go visit the nice ladies at the customer care desk...they had a stack of them. Shoprite rules!! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

DanB
12-14-2017, 08:56 AM
Can anyone go to a supermarket and NOT at least check out the meat section? Found this beauty while I was scanning for deals....they had them laying on the roasts. If you don't see any, go visit the nice ladies at the customer care desk...they had a stack of them. Shoprite rules!! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Hi Got one yesterday..Going back today for another one..In the paper today they have a coupon good until the Dec 24.
DanB

1ST cut- Center cut
While testing our Best Prime Rib recipe, we discovered that choosing the right roast was almost as important as deciding how to cook it. Butchers tend to cut a whole rib roast (which contains seven ribs) into two 3-rib roasts, known most commonly as first-cut and second-cut roasts. Our recipe calls for a 3-bone first-cut roast, which sits closer to the loin end of the cow and consists of ribs 10 through 12. First-cut roasts feature more of the flavorful, tender rib-eye muscle than do second-cut roasts (ribs 6 through 8 or 9), which are comprised of a mix of smaller muscles and more pockets of fat.

Tkruse
12-14-2017, 08:59 AM
Wouldn't it be considered a choice rib roast instead of a prime rib roast?...

Jrogers84
12-14-2017, 09:17 AM
Thats an absolute steal....

DanB
12-14-2017, 09:29 AM
:thumb::thumb:

daninnewjersey
12-14-2017, 09:59 AM

Technically yes....but I bet a lot of people would be saying "wait....where's the prime rib???"....:mrgreen::mrgreen:

DanB
12-14-2017, 10:18 AM

The word "Prime" by itself only describes the most desirable part of the "rib section" of the beef regardless of the USDA (US Department of Agriculture) Grade.

Here is my 5 lb beauty!!!
DanB

MeatyOakerSmoker
12-14-2017, 12:42 PM
I'd argue the real deal here is you can get a CAB prime rib for $5.77. That's pretty awesome...

MeatyOakerSmoker
12-14-2017, 12:43 PM
Hi Got one yesterday..Going back today for another one..In the paper today they have a coupon good until the Dec 24.
DanB

how did you get multiple coupons??

worktogthr
12-14-2017, 12:56 PM
I would also like to add that in my neck of the woods (Long Island, NY), Stop and Shop is having a similar sale for boneless NY Strip roasts for only $3.77 with $25 purchase and coupon!! Starts Friday! Wish I had more freezer space!

motoeric
12-14-2017, 01:13 PM
If you're getting the Shoprite deal this week (their sale goes until Sunday), poke around the pork ribs.

They've got babybacks for $2.99.

Eric

DanB
12-14-2017, 01:25 PM
how did you get multiple coupons??

Hi Sam Got one in last weeks circular another in the coming/today weeks circular.
I think the coupons are also in the weekly circulars at the store.
Doing any oven one today.
DanB

PS Any luck getting prime briskets at Costco's?

Burnt at Both Endz
12-14-2017, 04:02 PM
1ST cut- Center cut
While testing our Best Prime Rib recipe, we discovered that choosing the right roast was almost as important as deciding how to cook it. Butchers tend to cut a whole rib roast (which contains seven ribs) into two 3-rib roasts, known most commonly as first-cut and second-cut roasts. Our recipe calls for a 3-bone first-cut roast, which sits closer to the loin end of the cow and consists of ribs 10 through 12. First-cut roasts feature more of the flavorful, tender rib-eye muscle than do second-cut roasts (ribs 6 through 8 or 9), which are comprised of a mix of smaller muscles and more pockets of fat.

I call it the "short end". You are correct on it being the tenderest part.

mchar69
12-14-2017, 04:23 PM
GENTLEMEN - can we clarify. I see some roast with curvy short ribs, then others with longer ribs. I am assuming the curvy short ones are the front,
and the longer ones the rear, or loin area??
I have butchered alot of deer and am embarrassed to ask....

Our recipe calls for a 3-bone first-cut roast, which sits closer to the loin end of the cow and consists of ribs 10 through 12. First-cut roasts feature more of the flavorful, tender rib-eye muscle than do second-cut roasts (ribs 6 through 8 or 9), which are comprised of a mix of smaller muscles and more pockets of fat.

I call it the "short end". You are correct on it being the tenderest part.

Burnt at Both Endz
12-14-2017, 05:07 PM
GENTLEMEN - can we clarify. I see some roast with curvy short ribs, then others with longer ribs. I am assuming the curvy short ones are the front,

Some pretty good info on rib roasts....

https://whatscookingamerica.net/EricTurner/PrimeRibRoast.htm

Smoking Piney
12-14-2017, 06:46 PM
On my shopping list for tomorrow.

Thanks, Dan! :-D

cfrazier77
12-14-2017, 09:27 PM
Also check Aldis, my wife got 3 bone in roasts yesterday for the same price. They were choice.

MeatyOakerSmoker
12-14-2017, 09:54 PM
There is an end next to the chuck. You’ll see more separation of muscle there that’s 2nd

DanB
12-15-2017, 08:07 AM

This one didn't come out as good as I hoped..My terms were off. My chef alarm was reading 140 when, I checked with my therepan it read 160!!
Now what do with all the leftovers, pepper steak??

Dan
https://i.imgur.com/ULNNNW2.jpg

worktogthr
12-15-2017, 08:17 AM

This one didn't come out as good as I hoped..My terms were off. My chef alarm was reading 140 when, I checked with my therepan it read 160!!
Now what do with all the leftovers, pepper steak??

Dan

I love to put some leftover pieces in the food processor, chop em up, fry em and make some smoked cheesesteaks!

Smoke Dawg
12-15-2017, 09:15 AM
Ad in last nights paper Had the same sort of deal but better pricing on the meat at Albertsons

1st one was $3.99 / lb with coupon and you had to spend $50. Limit 1. Whole in the bag.

Additional ones were $4.77 / lb if spending $50.

mowin
12-15-2017, 10:38 AM
Picked up a whole 16# cyrovaced one last week. Going Sunday to grab another whole one.

MeatyOakerSmoker
12-15-2017, 12:23 PM
Picked up a whole 16# cyrovaced one last week. Going Sunday to grab another whole one.

I thought this sale was only this Wed through Sat.

motoeric
12-15-2017, 01:56 PM
I thought this sale was only this Wed through Sat.

There's a new coupon in this week's circular.

MeatyOakerSmoker
12-15-2017, 03:10 PM
There's a new coupon in this week's circular.

I think our babysitter is taking our flyer.

mowin
12-15-2017, 03:26 PM
I think our babysitter is taking our flyer.

Smart babysitter. Lol

MeatyOakerSmoker
12-15-2017, 04:01 PM
Smart babysitter. Lol

Knowing her there is no chance sheís buying a $50+ piece of meat.

mowin
12-15-2017, 06:18 PM
Knowing her there is no chance sheís buying a $50+ piece of meat.

Maybe she'll have you smoke it for her.

Smoke Dawg
12-15-2017, 07:12 PM
MSD picked up a 22.3 pounder today. Original price $289. She got it for $88

daninnewjersey
12-18-2017, 07:23 AM
I asked the meat guy to confirm this is correct...he just smiled and said "yup"....

The $4.77/lb coupon will scan at $3.99/lb sale good through this coming Sunday December 24

You're welcome......:mrgreen::mrgreen:

MeatyOakerSmoker
12-18-2017, 08:11 AM
I asked the meat guy to confirm this is correct...he just smiled and said "yup"....

The $4.77/lb coupon will scan at $3.99/lb sale good through this coming Sunday December 24

Know if they are doing the same for the CAB??

DanB
12-19-2017, 08:50 AM

Didn't see the $3.99 sign in my store?
Thanks DanB

daninnewjersey
12-19-2017, 08:54 AM
Know if they are doing the same for the CAB??

The CAB is on sale....but I'm not sure of the price. Customer service will help you with that for sure.....

daninnewjersey
12-19-2017, 08:56 AM
Didn't see the $3.99 sign in my store?
Thanks DanB

I would take that pic and go to customer service. Tell them Somers Point Shoprite is running this sale...and they're very helpful...so you were hoping your Shoprite might be helpful, too....:mrgreen::mrgreen:

crpngdth2001
12-19-2017, 09:34 AM
I did pick two up at Safeway, about 6.5 lbs each (choice) for $4.99/pound. One for NYE with leftovers for Prime Rib hash on NYD breakfast. The other will be sliced into thick Ribeyes for sous vide steaks.

jonfromjersey
12-19-2017, 09:41 AM
Not here :(

MeatyOakerSmoker
12-19-2017, 10:55 AM
Not here :(

You need the coupon not just the flyer.

MeatyOakerSmoker
12-19-2017, 10:56 AM
I would take that pic and go to customer service. Tell them Somers Point Shoprite is running this sale...and they're very helpful...so you were hoping your Shoprite might be helpful, too....:mrgreen::mrgreen:

DanB and I go to be same ShopRite. They usually arenít very helpful at all.

DanB
12-19-2017, 12:28 PM
Hi Sam
I used to have a friendly butcher in our Shop Rite. Haven't seen him in awhile?
DanB

MeatyOakerSmoker
12-19-2017, 12:52 PM
Hi Sam
I used to have a friendly butcher in our Shop Rite. Haven't seen him in awhile?
DanB

Let me know how you make out with them. Iíll do the same. By the way Dan totally off topic but I got a Lang. Iíll show you mine (Lang) if you show me yours (Shirley). We just need to work out some time!

DanB
12-19-2017, 01:41 PM
:thumb::thumb:
:clap2:

lennitt
12-19-2017, 04:34 PM
CAB is $5.77 (with coupon).. every year I get all the coupons I can from co workers and buy 2 1/2 lb roasts to reverse sear for "man steaks".. love shop rite!!!

MeatyOakerSmoker
12-19-2017, 05:01 PM
CAB is $5.77 (with coupon).. every year I get all the coupons I can from co workers and buy 2 1/2 lb roasts to reverse sear for "man steaks".. love shop rite!!!

Yeah thatís just the standard $1 off per pound that the coupon gives you. But then the conversation went on to daninnewjersey pointing out his shoprite has USDA Choice for $3.99. Usually CAB is a buck more a pound and I was hoping to get another cryopack of CAB since it really just gives you a bit more of guarantee that youíre getting the top choice into prime range of meat.

Demosthenes9
12-21-2017, 01:00 PM
Damn, you all are lucky. Best price around here this week is $6.99 for choice, grain fed, bone in.

DanB

1ST cut- Center cut

I have to quibble with this part, and it's a matter of personal preference. I prefer the chuck end (2nd cut) as it has a larger percentage of the ribeye cap (spinalis dorsi), which is one of the most tender and flavorful parts of the cow.

Yes, that is correct. Shorter bones are from the chuck end up front, longer bones are from the loin end.

mowin
12-21-2017, 04:54 PM
Had another coupon so I figured I'd grab another whole PR for the freezer. Meat manager said their not giving out whole cryovaced PR anymore. Said I have to pick from the ones out in the meat case.

MeatyOakerSmoker
12-21-2017, 06:07 PM
Had another coupon so I figured I'd grab another whole PR for the freezer. Meat manager said their not giving out whole cryovaced PR anymore. Said I have to pick from the ones out in the meat case.

I hope thatís only true at your shoprite. I was about to go to our shoprite and try to get two more cryopacks.

Acme has choice for $3.99 next week.

Cook
12-21-2017, 07:31 PM
I'd argue the real deal here is you can get a CAB prime rib for $5.77. That's pretty awesome...

That was going to be my exact reply. Spend the $$$...well...spend the $ and get the CAB!

MeatyOakerSmoker
12-21-2017, 11:08 PM
That was going to be my exact reply. Spend the $$$...well...spend the $ and get the CAB!

Iíve been around these parts for a long time. I drop the nuggets of wisdom that Iíve learned from the brethren on all the threads I can but because Iím not a big name around here very few pick up on it. So I appreciate you going back to page 1 to recognize it lol.

daninnewjersey
12-22-2017, 07:05 AM
I hope thatís only true at your shoprite. I was about to go to our shoprite and try to get two more cryopacks.

Just grab the butcher and be extra nice...since Santa is watching that's easy this time of year :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Maybe try for one and then get another the next day??

DanB
12-22-2017, 02:04 PM
Hi All Picked up another Prime Rib from Shop Rite today..Wish I could figure out the price:doh: Got a 5 pounder had them cut it in half. With the crowd around the prime rib case, you would have thought they were giving them away for free.:roll:
I'm hoping this one comes better then my last one, when my therms were off!
Last one was way over done.:mad2:

DanB

MeatyOakerSmoker
12-22-2017, 02:50 PM
I got another cryopak but this time I was stupid and let him give me one that had a broken seal. Thatís ok Iím getting some Umai Dry Bags to try so hopefully they get here soon and I can move it into one of those.