PDA

View Full Version : smoking turkey then deep frying

SABERGUY
12-14-2017, 07:33 AM
Looking for any suggestions. Have deep fried many turkeys - understand that a smoked turkey (not totally cooked) then deep fried accents the smoked flavor. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Joshw
12-14-2017, 07:59 AM
I haven't done what you are talking about. But recently cooked my first bird on the charbroil srg. Oiless fryer, I know it will give you a smoked fried bird, and it was pretty great.

medic92
12-14-2017, 08:31 AM
I do it with chicken wings and it works extremely well. I don't know why you couldn't do it with a turkey.

NotSoBigDan
12-14-2017, 10:02 AM
I've read where guys smoke, then deep-fry to get the skin right. I love everything about my "beer can turkeys" but the skin is a real fight.

BillATL
12-14-2017, 03:08 PM
Local restaurant, that sadly closed, used to do this with chicken breasts and they were great. I'd smoke it done, let it cool some then just flash fry to crisp the skin but I don't deep fry anything so what do I know.

(A southerner who doesn't deep fry things, where did my momma go wrong?)

Czarbecue
12-14-2017, 06:28 PM
I do this with thighs and legs and not just wings. Great outcome. The only thing I can think of would be the time for frying. Straight raw turkey need about 3 minutes per pound. Not sure if you would neutralize the smoke flavor if you're frying for over 30 minutes. Let us know!

WareZdaBeef
12-14-2017, 07:12 PM
Ive done cold smoking a turkey then deep frying. It lost alot of the smoke flavor into the oil. Had to toss the oil. Its much better to cold smoke then rotisserie, but my showtime can only fit a 12lb turkey. It works great on whole chickens though.

Smoking Piney
12-14-2017, 07:17 PM
I would be concerned about the smoke being washed away by the hot oil.

If I did it (and just a guess) - smoke the turkey to near finish and flash fry it to crisp....only a few minutes.

WareZdaBeef
12-14-2017, 07:20 PM
I would be concerned about the smoke being washed away by the hot oil.

If I did it (and just a guess) - smoke the turkey to near finish and flash fry it to crisp....only a few minutes.

As i just pointed out, ive tried it, and the smoke does get washed away. The happy medium is smoke then rotisserie. I have yet to find a better even way to end up with juicy meat and crispy skin.

Smoking Piney
12-14-2017, 07:25 PM
As i just pointed out, ive tried it, and the smoke does get washed away. The happy medium is smoke then rotisserie. I have yet to find a better even way to end up with juicy meat and crispy skin.

Point taken......got it. :razz:

Please forgive me for adding to this discussion.

WareZdaBeef
12-14-2017, 07:29 PM
Point taken......got it. :razz:

Please forgive me for adding to this discussion.

Well to be fair, you basicly just pointed out what i said, but with no actual user experience.

I will just assume it was a case posting at the same time. :loco:

Smoking Piney
12-14-2017, 07:34 PM
Well to be fair, you basicly just pointed out what i said, but with no actual user experience.

I will just assume it was a case posting at the same time. :loco:

Whatever, Beef. I've been around long enough here to see that you like to be the outlying "fly in the ointment" on most discussions here and you just like to annoy folks here with your much less than charming and positive approach.

Have fun, dude.........I'm not biting.

morgan-que
12-14-2017, 07:53 PM
I did one a few years ago and I thought as well as everyone else that it came out pretty well. I started out injecting with some creole butter the wrapped the bird in bacon smoked heavy with oak at 250 till it 150 in the breast removed the bacon for a snack sprinkle the skin with some cajun seasoning fried at 375 till done. Skin was crispy and the bird had plenty of smoke flavor. The oil was tossed out as I knew it would have too much smoke in it. The only reason I have not done it again is because of having to toss the oil after one fry $$$$.

don24
12-14-2017, 07:57 PM
what about a cold smoke. your location says Alberta so I'm confident its a little chilly. amazon over an a-maze-n smoker and some quality pellets to do a smoke, rest, smoke , rest rotation to get deep penetration of smoke and deep fry a totally raw bird.

WareZdaBeef
12-14-2017, 07:58 PM
Whatever, Beef. I've been around long enough here to see that you like to be the outlying "fly in the ointment" on most discussions here and you just like to annoy folks here with your much less than charming and positive approach.

Have fun, dude.........I'm not biting.
Ouch dude, that was harsh.

Beentown
12-14-2017, 08:05 PM
I'd hot smoke then finish in the fryer. Done it, and it was good.

I am a smoke at high heat kinda guy though.

Now chicken wings par smoked then flashed fried are a favorite.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jaestar
12-20-2017, 11:26 AM
I've done a cold smoke for 3-4 hours then fried it. Turns out awesome.

bonz50
12-20-2017, 12:41 PM
who eats turkey skin anyway?? :tongue: