PDA

View Full Version : Computer Battery Backup for Cooker?

jasonjax
12-13-2017, 06:49 AM
So I am going to purchase a battery backup for my FeC100 and PG500 for comps and overnights etc.

I see a lot of folks talking about using deep cycle marine batteries and an inverter, but I’m thinking just buy a decently sized computer type battery backup from APC or Tripplite and it should work great.

Am I missing something? As long as I have enough amperage at peat wattage draw when the heating element ignited the pellets it should be smooth sailing from there as the cooler only draws around 50 watts with the auger and fan.

Looking for some input for folks with a little more electrical knownhow than me to validate what I’m thinking!

Thanks.

JS-TX
12-13-2017, 09:19 AM
It may work but I think those things beep like crazy when they aren't plugged in themselves to a power source. I would find a user manual to them and see how they operate to make sure. Some of the better ones are expensive. There's a thread a thread in the comp. section that you may find helpful too.

pjtexas1
12-13-2017, 09:46 AM
i can see the logic. a pc uses a lot more wattage so the UPS should work. the beeping every couple of seconds may drive you nuts. i know the tripplites we use are loud.

pjtexas1
12-13-2017, 09:53 AM
have you looked into portable power supplies? they have more features...

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200678037_200678037?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Automotive%20%3E%20Batteries,%20Charger s%20%2B%20Jump%20Starters&utm_campaign=Strongway&utm_content=53015&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh-CU1quH2AIVBC1pCh1w1wOFEAQYAiABEgJOefD_BwE

Ron_L
12-13-2017, 12:10 PM
i can see the logic. a pc uses a lot more wattage so the UPS should work. the beeping every couple of seconds may drive you nuts. i know the tripplites we use are loud.

Yeah, those are designed for short term outages. The beeps would be annoying.

have you looked into portable power supplies? they have more features...

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200678037_200678037?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Automotive%20%3E%20Batteries,%20Charger s%20%2B%20Jump%20Starters&utm_campaign=Strongway&utm_content=53015&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh-CU1quH2AIVBC1pCh1w1wOFEAQYAiABEgJOefD_BwE

I use a Duracell portable power pack for my guru. I'm not sure how long it would last with two pellet cookers, but it works well.

BBQchef33
12-13-2017, 12:43 PM
i use a 1200Amp car jumpbox.. lasts 2 days running an FEC100 and still plenty of charge.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Schumacher-Electric-1-200-Amp-Car-Battery-Jump-Starter/50223897?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-ToolsAndHardware-_-AutoAndGarageSpecialty-_-50223897:Schumacher_Electric&CAWELAID=&kpid=50223897&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=2233&k_clickID=76e44720-36c4-4262-97a1-fc51b48cfb67&gclid=CjwKCAiAvMPRBRBIEiwABuO6qRvvh3oPH9Za9P5UOt8w fuNDe8S6DnXN1_eczwhctku6fU7Gxkap5xoCdZ0QAvD_BwE

kingjman
12-13-2017, 12:52 PM
I know most UPS' don't like motors...
http://www.apc.com/us/en/faqs/FA158851/

Also doubt they care for your heating rod?

Regardless if it's rated as capable, I would ignite the pellets with AC, and switch to UPS.

A UPS is designed to give a PC time to backup, and perform a safe shutdown in the event of a power failure..they are usually wired to tell the PC to shut down.

A UPS is basically a battery, charger, and inverter in a box, with smarts.

I'm guessing you have a car, and battery charger.....an inverter for about $50 is all you'd need.

Leave the charger on trickle with the inverter, fine in cold temps (a sealed lead acid in a UPS not as rugged)

clamp it to your battery, no cig plugins.

That's my 2 cents.

Sid Post
12-13-2017, 03:46 PM
As mentioned above. Buy the right tool for the job, this isn't a computer or server.

A good power converter and a pair of batteries will do what you want. Put the batteries on a trickle charger and the smoker on the power converter.

My friend and I run 4 x 6V batteries on a Midnight Solar KID charger that powers a converter used to run 3 air pumps and some lights in our enclosed fish house. With no solar input, we can run 4 days pretty easy but, our load is relatively light for our battery capacity. The recovery time for discharge in our case depends on how many solar panels are hooked up, how much Sun we have and, how much solar power we divert to heat the water (direct drive water heater elements).

jasonjax
12-13-2017, 05:43 PM
My goal is to run on provided electricity, but have a seamless non interruptive middle man so to speak. The thing would only be beeping if I lost power which would be a good thing.

Sounds like there are some other options to provide uninterrupted power too. I’ll have to PO into those as well. Ideally, I’d get a decent runtime if I did lose power.

BBQ Freak
12-13-2017, 07:03 PM
I use a jump box / air compressor and runs my devices .

Sid Post
12-14-2017, 07:52 AM
My goal is to run on provided electricity, but have a seamless non interruptive middle man so to speak. The thing would only be beeping if I lost power which would be a good thing.

Sounds like there are some other options to provide uninterrupted power too. Ill have to PO into those as well. Ideally, Id get a decent runtime if I did lose power.

Be careful with resistive loads (heaters) on a computer UPS system. They aren't built for those sorts of loads and you don't need to pay for a true "sine-way" power converter to run your smoker.

Highlife4me
12-14-2017, 12:10 PM
Just get a quiet 1000 watt generator. Most of these are so quiet you can hardly hear them run unless you have them running at full capacity.

Sid Post
12-15-2017, 07:39 AM
Just get a quiet 1000 watt generator. Most of these are so quiet you can hardly hear them run unless you have them running at full capacity.

The Honda's are nice and quiet if the ~$900~$1,000 price isn't too high. They are also reliable and run a long time before needing service.

Some batteries and a power converter are a whole lot cheaper for non-routine use. If you want to be 'off-grid' with AC power for extended periods, the little Honda branded units become an attractive option if you need to be mobile.

pjtexas1
12-15-2017, 07:56 AM
The Honda's are nice and quiet if the ~$900~$1,000 price isn't too high. They are also reliable and run a long time before needing service.

Some batteries and a power converter are a whole lot cheaper for non-routine use. If you want to be 'off-grid' with AC power for extended periods, the little Honda branded units become an attractive option if you need to be mobile.

there are some small generators with good ratings for a lot less. i would rather have a cheap generator than the ups battery backup as the generator can do some much more.

jasonjax
12-15-2017, 08:23 AM
I picked this up, and plan to keep my smokers plugged into it permanently covered under my porch. I think I will get a plastic container and drill some holes for air flow, but weatherproof it a little.

As for the comment about not being made for motor/igniting element: as long as the draw in terms of wattage/amperage shouldn't I bet good to go?

I realize this isn't a good long-term off main power solution, but it will let me sleep better on overnight cooks that it the power went out/browned out the smoker would keep going.

I'm going to test it today during the ignition phase where it draws the most juice as well as at-temp loads.

https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1500AVRLCD-Intelligent-Outlets-Mini-Tower/dp/B000FBK3QK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1513347604&sr=8-3&keywords=cyberpower+battery+backup+1500va

LYU370
12-15-2017, 01:07 PM
What kind of runtime are you looking for? Because of the small battery size, you won't get a lot. Cookshack says the FEC draws 7 amps, PG500 is 5amps, but I'm sure that's with the hotrod on. Not sure how much it draws to run just the auger & fan. At 100w you'll get 83 minutes, at 2.5 amps/300w you'll get about 21 minutes, 5amps/600w drops to 8 minutes.

Just something to keep in mind. I'll be curious to see your measurements.

https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/product/ups/cp1500avrlcd/

Sid Post
12-15-2017, 05:41 PM
there are some small generators with good ratings for a lot less. i would rather have a cheap generator than the ups battery backup as the generator can do some much more.

Be careful with the 'cheaper' gasoline generators. The joy of a cheaper purchase price is soon lost when it doesn't run when you need it.

I lived through some Tornados that took electricity away for weeks in my case. All those 'cheap' gas powered generators where a total crapshoot. Some worked, some didn't, most didn't run consistently and, all of them ran out of fuel after the lawn mowers were drained (you can't pump gas from a station with no electricity and can't get money out of the ATM to pay for it either).

I stepped up my game with a more reliable and fuel efficient option (Generac). Solar may not work in Tornado country but, its reliability is a lot better overall. They also don't make the racket a cheap generator does.

jasonjax
12-15-2017, 07:16 PM
Only got about 25 minutes runtime with ignitor running, but I’m good with that.

It’s more about no interruption if I temporarily lose power or have a spike.

I’m going to probably invest in one of the other options for longer runtime.

In reference to the generac thing: We lost power for over a week with hurricane Irma. Whole house generator is on my list for sure, but even that wouldn’t solve the brief interruption that would reset the cooker.

kingjman
12-15-2017, 07:22 PM
What kind of runtime are you looking for? Because of the small battery size, you won't get a lot. Cookshack says the FEC draws 7 amps, PG500 is 5amps, but I'm sure that's with the hotrod on. Not sure how much it draws to run just the auger & fan. At 100w you'll get 83 minutes, at 2.5 amps/300w you'll get about 21 minutes, 5amps/600w drops to 8 minutes.

Just something to keep in mind. I'll be curious to see your measurements.

https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/product/ups/cp1500avrlcd/

As LYU370 says, likely a short runtime for your application (check the "runtime" tab in link). Amps x voltage = watts . Max to min power draw on your smokers would be heating rod, auger motor, fans, controller. I would be surprised if you were low as 100w after pellets are started, and even then only 1 1/2 hours with a newer battery, it will decrease.

If you lose power alarm with sound, and you'll have a limited amount of time for power to be restored, or move your meat to something that doesn't require AC. A generator, or 1kw inverter with vehicle running periodically would be better long term AC options.

Hopefully you've offset Murphy with your purchase, and never lose power during a cook.

Sid Post
12-16-2017, 05:04 AM
In reference to the generac thing: We lost power for over a week with hurricane Irma. Whole house generator is on my list for sure, but even that wouldn’t solve the brief interruption that would reset the cooker.

The Generac portable units are pretty good and are competitive with Honda units at a better price.

In my case, a Natural Gas powered Generac or Kohler whole house system would get the nod if I went there. In Arizona, Kohler diesel generators served us well but, in an extended disaster, fuel can be an issue just like gasoline and propane, though natural gas will be turned off for a period of time during a disaster too (it will come on much sooner than electricity for remote areas though).

For brief 'hiccups', 2 or 4 batteries and a power converter is going to be cheaper and easy, though heavier. A trickle charger to keep them topped off so they are always ready to go will give you plenty of time to recover from a temporary power outage during a cook. For extended outages, letting a car idle to top off the batteries with jumper cables periodically will get you through a cook if things go 'south' really badly.

kingjman
12-16-2017, 06:25 AM
The original post sounded like you wanted to run for an extended time.
...for brief power drops, or brown outs, I think your UPS should work great. Good to see it handles max load, and has no problems with your ignighter rod, or motors.