PDA

View Full Version : Best cold smoker for a Shirley?

NavarreQ
12-12-2017, 05:46 PM
Want to use my Shirley patio for some large scale cold smoking. What's the best device to use or rout to take?ive never cold smoked anything so easier is better. Thanks

Smoking Piney
12-12-2017, 06:37 PM
Just how "large scale" is large scale?

Not Shirley specific, but I love my Amaze-N pellet maze, and I imagine it would work quite well in a Shirley.It can create a good volume of smoke for hours.

http://www.amazenproducts.com/

Beentown
12-12-2017, 06:45 PM
I use the Amaz-n tray. Love it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

NavarreQ
12-12-2017, 06:51 PM
Just how "large scale" is large scale?

Not Shirley specific, but I love my Amaze-N pellet maze, and I imagine it would work quite well in a Shirley.It can create a good volume of smoke for hours.

http://www.amazenproducts.com/

Would I possibly need 2 of these to get the job done? I don't have the warmer and my cooking chamber is 4 ft long? Or will 1 do it? Thanks

Stlsportster
12-12-2017, 06:53 PM
I use the 12 inch amazen tube in my Lang 36. Put the tube in the firebox, open the stack and it draws. Cold smoke cheese and bacon.

Smoking Piney
12-12-2017, 07:00 PM
Would I possibly need 2 of these to get the job done? I don't have the warmer and my cooking chamber is 4 ft long? Or will 1 do it? Thanks

I think one will do well. I use a tray on my Assassin 24 (4 racks, gravity feed) and I get plenty of smoke.

A full tray will smoke about 6 hours or so depending on the draft.

NavarreQ
12-12-2017, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the replies! The tube will be bought in next 5 mins!

Smoking Piney
12-12-2017, 07:21 PM
And you get a wide variety of pellets to choose from.

TuscaloosaQ
12-13-2017, 06:50 AM
Just got thru eating a bunch of bacon at the refinery that I had cured and smoked in my main chamber.... I justbuilt a very small fire in my firebox..... added some small wood and smoked the cured bacon.... did about 35 pounds.... all came out excellent..... the other choices posted are great also

JohnH12
12-13-2017, 07:13 AM
I know you said the tube would be ordered but you may want to consider the 5 x 8 tray for longer smoke times.
It give off plenty of smoke for your sized Shirley.

Seefyre
12-13-2017, 10:31 AM
The best cold smoking accessory for the Shirley is the weather. I smoke a lot of cheese for the holidays, I wait wait 'till morning temps are in the 20's the I use around 6 briquets in the firebox and place a chunk of your favorite wood on top. Works perfect, my internal temps range from 30-50f depending on if the sun hits my pit that day.

I use a little charcoal grill to keep coals running on the side to change in.

~Cheers

Shagdog
12-13-2017, 10:34 AM
One amazen will do the job. I put it right in the main chamber on an old cookie sheet.. There is not really any draft with a cold smoker, so the smoke
just kind of lazily drifts out the stack. If you put the tube in the firebox I imagine it would just come back out the door more than into the chamber..