PDA

View Full Version : So the President of Weber called me. That was weird. lol

Baby Back Maniac
12-12-2017, 01:46 PM
So I've had some issues lately with my Summit and the Limited Edition kettle which I've been talking about on my youtube channel. That led to a phone call from Weber President Dale Wytiaz. I was like "Uh-oh!" but I gotta admit, I really enjoyed talking to him.

I've said this before but youtube is weird. lol.

Anyways, if you are curious...

https://youtu.be/lRSCiSCuE-g

JokerBroker
12-12-2017, 02:51 PM
I had a similar experience with a different company once and it can be flattering when the president takes the time to give you a call but the bottom line is that a well managed company should have taken care of your concerns on the first phone call by sending replacement parts or a new grill. We will never know for sure but I wonder if having almost 20,000 subscribers on YouTube helped motivate the president to pick up the phone and give you a call. I suspect it did and for that reason, I'm disappointed in hearing how they do business.

70monte
12-12-2017, 02:52 PM
Good video and cool that the President of Weber would contact you. Social media is a powerful tool.

el_matt
12-12-2017, 02:55 PM
Very nice!! Weber had always taken care of me, and I recommend them, over any other cooker. Their customer service and their products are second to none. To receive a call from the President of the company, speaks volumes, to me, regarding what they are all about. The fact that they offered/gave you a red kettle, proves it.

Matt

Vision
12-12-2017, 06:52 PM
Seems super cool to me, not weird.

Happy Hapgood
12-12-2017, 06:53 PM
That's a Great vid Justin. Thanks again for all you do. I too am a Weber guy and this just reinforces my trust in them. Cool that they have an adjustable hinge for the Summit now. Are they going to send one?

Sjhill
12-12-2017, 07:43 PM
good video. I was wanting a summit but I think I’m gonna wait for version 2

OklaDustDevil
12-12-2017, 07:56 PM
It is impossible to do business perfectly, particularly for a company the size of Weber. Everyone tries not to make mistakes, but when they happen, the measure of a company and its executives is how well they try to make up for them now and avoid them in future.

I work for a big company and we place a lot of focus on that. If you do it right you actually can turn a big negative -- a mistake -- into an even bigger positive. Customers will become even more dedicated fans if handled well in the context of a mistake.

I think his call says a lot about Weber and their approach to customer service. And the fact the President took the time, effort, and trouble to do something unpleasant himself -- respond to an upset customer -- means he is taking it personally and placing some priority against it. I would bet that, thru internal communications, every single Weber employee now knows 1- the President responded personally to a customer complaint, 2- customer complaints better be addressed, and 3- these sorts of defects better be remedied in future.

It's funny, just last night I asked my wife to buy a red Weber limited edition kettle as my Christmas present, but I didn't feel good about it. I warned her about all the defects, including those I saw in Baby Back's original video, and said she would need to inspect it thoroughly. I'm sure you can guess how she felt about that! Now I definitely feel comfortable that when she orders it, it will be good to go and if not they'll fix it.

Bob C Cue
12-12-2017, 09:23 PM
Nice work!

Just don't forget what Voltaire purportedly said: "With great power comes great responsibility."

dadsr4
12-12-2017, 09:54 PM
Next time the two of you chat, could you ask him why the US doesn't get the colored kettles like Canada and Europe do?:becky:

ssv3
12-12-2017, 10:03 PM
Next time the two of you chat, could you ask him why the US doesn't get the colored kettles like Canada and Europe do?:becky:

And why is the special edition "red" kettle made in China?

Baby Back Maniac
12-12-2017, 10:17 PM
Nice work!

Just don't forget what Voltaire purportedly said: "With great power comes great responsibility."

Iím not sure if you are talking about me or Weber, but I have always felt a great responsibility...I think thatís what is leading to more power. Lol. Thanks for the reminder though.

Baby Back Maniac
12-12-2017, 10:19 PM

I will actually. I had the same question.

Baby Back Maniac
12-12-2017, 10:20 PM

He didnít tell me this but somebody else did. Itís EPA regulations regarding how they get that color. Itís basically China or nothing on that.

Baby Back Maniac
12-12-2017, 10:22 PM
It is impossible to do business perfectly, particularly for a company the size of Weber. Everyone tries not to make mistakes, but when they happen, the measure of a company and its executives is how well they try to make up for them now and avoid them in future.

I work for a big company and we place a lot of focus on that. If you do it right you actually can turn a big negative -- a mistake -- into an even bigger positive. Customers will become even more dedicated fans if handled well in the context of a mistake.

I think his call says a lot about Weber and their approach to customer service. And the fact the President took the time, effort, and trouble to do something unpleasant himself -- respond to an upset customer -- means he is taking it personally and placing some priority against it. I would bet that, thru internal communications, every single Weber employee now knows 1- the President responded personally to a customer complaint, 2- customer complaints better be addressed, and 3- these sorts of defects better be remedied in future.

It's funny, just last night I asked my wife to buy a red Weber limited edition kettle as my Christmas present, but I didn't feel good about it. I warned her about all the defects, including those I saw in Baby Back's original video, and said she would need to inspect it thoroughly. I'm sure you can guess how she felt about that! Now I definitely feel comfortable that when she orders it, it will be good to go and if not they'll fix it.

Yeah, thatís pretty much word for word what he said about business. Basically they do the best they can and when they screw up they try to respond in a way where the customer is better off than had they never messed up in the first place.

dadsr4
12-12-2017, 10:24 PM
Weber had to use Cadmium to get the original red color. Cadmium is a heavy metal and disposal of this is very difficult.

Baby Back Maniac
12-12-2017, 10:27 PM
I had a similar experience with a different company once and it can be flattering when the president takes the time to give you a call but the bottom line is that a well managed company should have taken care of your concerns on the first phone call by sending replacement parts or a new grill. We will never know for sure but I wonder if having almost 20,000 subscribers on YouTube helped motivate the president to pick up the phone and give you a call. I suspect it did and for that reason, I'm disappointed in hearing how they do business.

I understand your frustration but I also want to believe that a poorly managed company wouldnít take steps like this to fix a problem once they are made aware of it...and there were a lot of moving parts on this deal. Literally. And that was a big part of the problem.

ssv3
12-12-2017, 10:28 PM
Thanks for clarification. I only found out it wasn't here a few days ago.

Baby Back Maniac
12-12-2017, 10:30 PM
That's a Great vid Justin. Thanks again for all you do. I too am a Weber guy and this just reinforces my trust in them. Cool that they have an adjustable hinge for the Summit now. Are they going to send one?

They already have. They offered to send a guy to replace it so I took them up on it...my rationale being everything will be working properly by the time he leaves or it will be on them.

Baby Back Maniac
12-12-2017, 10:31 PM
Thanks for clarification. I only found out it wasn't here a few days ago.

I didnít realize it until recently either

Stone A
12-13-2017, 07:29 AM
Thanks for the update, Justin. I agree with your sentiment that it was the right thing to do by sharing the update. My family loves your videos and we have learned so much! Thanks again. Let me know if the hinges solve the smoke leak issue on the Summit.

barrettd
12-13-2017, 08:39 AM
I felt the same way about my Adrenaline Barbecue experience. They shipped me the wrong SnS and when I called to discuss the issue, David called me back to talk about how they were going to fix it. He offered a free upgrade to the Plus, but when the second shipment came, it was the regular, which was fine with me. I emailed him just to let him know I had gotten the regular one, and he called me again to offer a discount to their online store, which was completely unnecessary. He said his office staff had been so efficient getting the new one out, they hadn't yet gotten the note about the upgrade! I was pleased enough with the product, but his attention to making me happy made me a lifelong customer and supporter.

It's amazing what a little human contact can do to make people think well of each other.

garyk1398
12-13-2017, 09:16 AM
Great to know there are people high up on the food chain that still care about the average Joe!

DanB
12-13-2017, 09:23 AM
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249600

I was surprised when they sent me a new bottom bowl.
DanB

Baby Back Maniac
12-13-2017, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the update, Justin. I agree with your sentiment that it was the right thing to do by sharing the update. My family loves your videos and we have learned so much! Thanks again. Let me know if the hinges solve the smoke leak issue on the Summit.

Absolutely. Feel free to follow up with me if you don't hear from me. I should know something in the next week or so.

Baby Back Maniac
12-13-2017, 09:51 AM
I felt the same way about my Adrenaline Barbecue experience. They shipped me the wrong SnS and when I called to discuss the issue, David called me back to talk about how they were going to fix it. He offered a free upgrade to the Plus, but when the second shipment came, it was the regular, which was fine with me. I emailed him just to let him know I had gotten the regular one, and he called me again to offer a discount to their online store, which was completely unnecessary. He said his office staff had been so efficient getting the new one out, they hadn't yet gotten the note about the upgrade! I was pleased enough with the product, but his attention to making me happy made me a lifelong customer and supporter.

It's amazing what a little human contact can do to make people think well of each other.

I had not heard about that but it doesn't surprise me at all. I don't work for them anymore but I talk to Dave just about every day. He's become a really good friend of mine. Because of that I can tell you that that though we all have flaws, doing the right thing is not one of his. He's definitely a stand up guy. They HATE making mistakes like that but when they do (human), they try to make it right.

Baby Back Maniac
12-13-2017, 09:52 AM
Great to know there are people high up on the food chain that still care about the average Joe!

My thoughts exactly.

Baby Back Maniac
12-13-2017, 09:53 AM
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249600

I was surprised when they sent me a new bottom bowl.
DanB

Yeah, this is the customer service I've always experienced with them in the past and it's why I love the company. It was also why it surprised me when they left me hanging. I'm glad they are trying to do the right thing.

Hinds15
12-13-2017, 09:58 AM
Lol small internet's. I really enjoy your channel.

70monte
12-13-2017, 11:22 AM
I have always had great customer service from Weber. Years ago I had just bought my first new Kettle and accidentally knocked the lid off of the deck railing onto the ground below bending it pretty badly. I called Weber to order a new lid and explained to the rep what I had done and they sent me a new lid out for free. That is awesome CS. They have also taken care of me on other issues over the years.

Baby Back Maniac
12-13-2017, 03:38 PM
Lol small internet's. I really enjoy your channel.

Thanks man! I appreciate it.

Baby Back Maniac
12-14-2017, 11:04 AM
I have always had great customer service from Weber. Years ago I had just bought my first new Kettle and accidentally knocked the lid off of the deck railing onto the ground below bending it pretty badly. I called Weber to order a new lid and explained to the rep what I had done and they sent me a new lid out for free. That is awesome CS. They have also taken care of me on other issues over the years.

Yeah, I had something similar. This is a kind funny story I totally forgot about until you said this.

I put the lid on in my performer and started the gas and when I lit it, it blew the lid off the kettle. it was a very surreal moment that I remember in slow motion where I hear this boom and the next thing I know the lid is at eye level and I remember thinking "That's not right." lol. That's has high as it went and it wasn't a huge deal except the lid came back down on the concrete and scratched it really bad.

I called in to buy a replacement. I owned up to everything, and the Weber rep (when she stopped laughing) offered it to me at cost which I though was pretty cool since it was clearly my fault. lol.

I had totally forgotten about that story. hahaha.

OklaDustDevil
12-25-2017, 05:03 PM
Well, I opened my new red Weber limited edition today, Christmas present from my kids. When I told my wife I wanted it for Christmas I knew about the issues, but I figured Weber had sorted them by now.

Started assembling it, and when I got to the part where you screw on the front handle I found a big hack mark a little bigger than a quarter where the red porcelain didn't take. Very disappointing. Now I'll have to deal with Weber and assemble the damn thing all over again!

https://i.imgur.com/sXbDlM3.jpg

IXL
12-25-2017, 08:50 PM
That really is most unfortunate. The red-colored ones look so good.