PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a non-BBQ brisket recipe?

Fillmore Farmer
12-11-2017, 05:19 PM
Hey guys,

I do plenty of classic BBQ beef brisket and as much as it's delicious, my family is getting a bit burned-out on it. I tend to use rubs with plenty of spices and then sauce with a mix of Bullseye and SBR...you know, classic tangy bbq

Growing up, I recall brisket made in the oven, I think it involved onion soup mix but it also had some flavor perhaps from Worchestershire and even a hint of teriyaki or something. Probably some wine, onions and other stuff involved...just can't recall.

Anyone got any brisket recipes that can be done in a smoker but NOT the classic/typical flavor we use?

Stlsportster
12-11-2017, 05:27 PM
Yup. Family oven brisket recipe. Trim as if you were going to smoke. Put in a roasting pan fat cap up. Season with season salt, pepper, garlic. Cover with as many thinly sliced onions as you can to completely cover the brisket...at least 4-5 whole onions. Add 1/4 cup of red wine. (Optional add a tbsp of white horseradish). Cover and bake at 350-375 for 5ish hours until probe tender. I also baste about every hour.

You could easily do this in the smoker too.

kathicooks
12-11-2017, 06:52 PM
Before I had a smoker the only way I made brisket was in the oven. Dear all sides to get some color, then paint it with tomato paste. About a 7 lb brisket gets one small can. Then cover it with onion slices and chopped garlic and some salt, pepper, and thyme. About half a cup of red wine and cover it tightly. Into the oven at 325 for about 5 hours. Check to see if it’s fork tender. Then do what’s natural. Let it rest, then slice against the grain. I kind of miss it. Might need to make one myself.

Jason TQ
12-11-2017, 07:18 PM
I did a curry injected brisket that I smoked here (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232851). Great flavor and adding a curry sauce at the end is good

CentralOhioBBQ
12-11-2017, 08:18 PM
Easy, Momocho’s brisket recipe. Best ever. Mexican recipe that uses coffee, unreal brisket tacos. The recipe has lots of ingredients, you don’t have to follow it to a T. Close is will turn out great..

http://clevelandfoodie.com/2010/07/cook-like-eric-williams-braised-beef-brisket.html

Fishiest1
12-11-2017, 08:22 PM
There used to be a recipe on here with onions, peppers and Guinness beer. It was great!

Happy Hapgood
12-11-2017, 08:36 PM
Google Crock pot Brisket recipes. Had some the other day from a caterer. It was really good.

Fillmore Farmer
12-12-2017, 08:18 PM
Ah crap, I should have been clear that I fully intend to cook in the smoker. I meant a recipe that wasn't classic BBQ flavor. Good answers though, thanks!

Seems like covering with onions is a consistent thing. Many recipes involve Aus Jus or Onion soup mix and some wine. Seasoning is salt, pepper, onion, thyme, etc. I'd dare to add some Worcestershire as well.

Thanks again for the replies!

Happy Hapgood
12-12-2017, 08:39 PM
Found this on the label of a brisket I bought some years back

http://i42.tinypic.com/2w1sgpi.jpg

Westx
12-12-2017, 09:09 PM
Marinate over night in Italian Dressing then smoke it.

jermoQ
12-12-2017, 09:33 PM
Wickers, is a vinegar and spice marinade sauce combo that you could inject and marinade, they also have a steak marinade that is soy sauce based, it tastes kind of teriaki style

Ag76
12-12-2017, 10:56 PM
There used to be a recipe on here with onions, peppers and Guinness beer. It was great!

http://www.thewolfepit.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.html

airedale
12-13-2017, 09:03 AM
They cook great & fast in an Instant Pot. Pork shoulders do, too.

captndan
12-13-2017, 09:19 AM
Hey guys,

I do plenty of classic BBQ beef brisket and as much as it's delicious, my family is getting a bit burned-out on it. I tend to use rubs with plenty of spices and then sauce with a mix of Bullseye and SBR...you know, classic tangy bbq

Growing up, I recall brisket made in the oven, I think it involved onion soup mix but it also had some flavor perhaps from Worchestershire and even a hint of teriyaki or something. Probably some wine, onions and other stuff involved...just can't recall.

Anyone got any brisket recipes that can be done in a smoker but NOT the classic/typical flavor we use?

When you say BBQ are you referring to the flavor or the method of cooking?

dadsr4
12-13-2017, 09:25 AM
I've cubed brisket for stews and chili when it's the cheapest beef in the bargain bin. Give it a little smoke and into the pot.

NickTheGreat
12-13-2017, 09:30 AM
You could always corn/brine it, then smoke for a delicious pastrami