PDA

View Full Version : LSG Mini IVS vs Pee Wee IVS

aah924
12-11-2017, 04:53 PM
I'm torn between the Mini and the Pee Wee model. Any thoughts or Pros/Cons? I'm only getting this for home use and an occasional cook.

Thanks!

pjtexas1
12-11-2017, 05:02 PM
If I'm adding a smoker and not replacing I guess the Peewee would work. If it's my only cooker it has to be the mini. $600 is a big difference but I am not a fan of the single door.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Czarbecue
12-11-2017, 05:24 PM
It's almost a no brainer for $600 you double your cooking capacity with the Mini. I also hate one door units. It's too much like an electric cooker to me.

Wesman61
12-11-2017, 06:16 PM
Just watched the Pee Wee video. To be honest I probably couldn't justify buying a smoker in that price range. If I were to, it wouldn't be the Pee Wee. With the $700+ for shipping and crating tacked on, I just can't see it being worth the price. In my opinion, taking up so much room for the charcoal basket and having so little headroom for the grates is not a good design choice. I would never smoke anything for 24 hours. I would however smoke 2 turkeys for 3 or 4 hours. I'd rather have a smaller charcoal basket and more space between the racks. They also nixed the water adding feature of the Mini. I'd go for a mini if I could justify spending that kind of money on a smoker but the Pee Wee is a no-go for me.

SmittyJonz
12-11-2017, 06:43 PM
You are close to 5-6 insulated cabinet smoker makers in Georgia - Assassin, Deep South, Stumps and a few more - plus these guys in N.C.
http://www.bqgrills.com/Vertical%20Direct%20Feed%20Smokers%20Page.htm

I’d head down to Macon Georgia and get an Assassin 17 and a Assassin Grill.......

Notorious Q.U.E.
12-11-2017, 07:36 PM
Full/Large if you can scrounge up the lucre:

The pricing has “sunken” costs just by buying any LSG IVC

I’m gonna roughly round the numbers off their website for ease of discussion:

1) Peewee $2000 for 750 sq inch
2) Mini $2500 for 1500 sq inch
3) Large $3000 for 2500 sq inch

As you can see , the numbers really push a person to decide if they want an LSG IVC or not. It’s like the meter drop in a taxi. If they drive 50 feet, you still pay a minimum $5. It’s really whether you need a cab or not

The decision is really this: LSG IVC or not? If yes, then Large is the most rational call

Sid Post
12-11-2017, 08:11 PM

The pricing has ďsunkenĒ costs just by buying any LSG IVC

Iím gonna roughly round the numbers off their website for ease of discussion:

As you can see , the numbers really push a person to decide if they want an LSG IVC or not. Itís like the meter drop in a taxi. If they drive 50 feet, you still pay a minimum $5. Itís really whether you need a cab or not

The decision is really this: LSG IVC or not? If yes, then Large is the most rational call

I've been through this thought process so many times over the years, I still wonder why I rethink my decision every time I start getting some money set aside.

Whether an LSG IVC, or Pitmaker, or <insert any number of reputable options>, why not save a little longer for the bigger unit? The additional operating costs are negligible so, it really is all about purchase price and possibly a small adder for additional shipping weight.

A 2,000-~3,000 square inch IVC seems like overkill for small smokes. However, what do you do when you have a larger event or, want to make some freezer ready meals for the future?

The same holds true for the offset smoker dilemma I have. If you are going to spend $2750 on the entry level Shirley trailer, don't you want to consider adding some chamber space for a modest upcharge so you have more cooking capability? Sure, you will burn a little more wood but, considering all the other costs of a cook, that is such a small additional cost it is easily overlooked.

EdLo
12-11-2017, 09:28 PM
Mini all day. Shoot if you are going to spend that kind of cash go for the Large and you are set for life...:idea:

BlueandGoldBBQ
12-11-2017, 09:32 PM

The pricing has ďsunkenĒ costs just by buying any LSG IVC

Iím gonna roughly round the numbers off their website for ease of discussion:

As you can see , the numbers really push a person to decide if they want an LSG IVC or not. Itís like the meter drop in a taxi. If they drive 50 feet, you still pay a minimum $5. Itís really whether you need a cab or not

This gets significantly more drastic when you start adding the optional additional racks in too. One of the first things I look at on smokers is $ per sq in of rack

bonehead762
12-11-2017, 09:43 PM
I was making the same sort of calculations that Notorious is when I was deciding on my LSG cabinet. I am/was looking for something that I could do 8 racks of ribs in. The Mini probably would have done nicely but I felt it also might have been a bit cramped. After the cost of the Mini, it wasn’t that much more for the Large. 20% more money for 66% space. I decided I like that math. Ymmv...

SmittyJonz
12-12-2017, 12:22 PM
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254857

aah924
12-19-2017, 07:23 AM
I finally decided to place an order for the mini, yesterday. Now the countdown begins.

Notorious Q.U.E.
12-19-2017, 10:52 AM
That's a good Brethren!! Please post pics. I gotta say I love the water fill feature which is kick Arse!

bonehead762
12-20-2017, 12:44 PM
Hubba hubba! Way to go.

aah924
01-17-2018, 05:43 PM
I did receive the build notification email last week. I should be smoking in the next few weeks...

pjtexas1
02-07-2018, 03:26 PM
did you get it yet?

ruger35
02-07-2018, 07:04 PM
This darn thread has me considering swapping from the Mini to the Large, for those just in case moments. I plan on making my IVS somewhat mobile, and the large just seems too big for that.

Smokin' Greene
02-08-2018, 09:05 AM
Ruger,
I have owned all 3 sizes.
Large:
I purchased this one and didn't take in consideration my cooking area. The door swing was wrong, and I will get into the cons for me below.
Pros:
This is is the Cadillac of the three. Tons of cooking space. My suggestion would be to be the extra rail option and grates. I didn't get this option and I believe it is a must have.
I was able to cook 12 full packer briskets and I probably could have cooked 16.
The mistake I made was I didn't take in consideration my cooking area and setup. The door swing was wrong and it drove me crazy. Minor detail but still. I miss this smoker at times for the cooking space. I cook a lot for my son's sports teams, and the extra room would be great to still have (He graduates next year so that will be over). If, you cook in pans this also would be your best option.
Cons:
The weight of everything. Charcoal pan, ash pan, and grates. I plan on owning this forever. As I get older I didn't see a need for the space or did I want to handle the weight when cleaning the pit. (Dis-closer, LSG did not offer the wire food grates. These would be much lighter).

Mini:
This is the perfect size for me. Yes, at times I miss the large, but I got it right with the mini.
Pros:
I can cook 8 packers or 12 butts ( I think you could get 16 butts, but it would be FULL and it is FULL with 8 packers). I don't usually cook anymore than 4 packers at a time now. I get 20+ hours out of a full basket of charcoal/wood chunks with the guru. I just prefer the size of this cooker. Get the rail/grate option!
Cons:
It not the large. Less cooking space. That is it!

Peewee:
I just bought it. Don't have any experience with it yet. I may store it for awhile. I am planning an outdoor kitchen someday, and I want to build it in. So, I wanted to take advantage of the holiday special, and start absorbing some of the cost before hand.
Pros: It is built like a tank. I like the removable pan and the new wire grates. It would be perfect for a family of 2.

Cons:
I have heard some say the one door option is a deal breaker for them. I only cook large cuts of meat in my IV. I have an offset for 6- hour cooks. I bought the IV for 6+ cooks. I setup the IV with the guru and I don't look for 10+ hours. So, the door on the peewee doesn't seem like an issue.

Only must have options for me are:
Extra rails/grates
Heat deflector.
I don't move mine. So, the handle and the casters were not important to me.
The stainless steel shelf is awesome, but I have a table right next to mine.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the sizes LSG is a great company to work with. Hope this helps! Good luck!