PDA

View Full Version : Shirley design choice.

sylntghost
12-11-2017, 08:45 AM
I've got my place in line for a new Shirley. It will be used for church out reach. My original plan was for a 30x80 elevated straight back. With the main chamber slide out grill option. As our church does a lot of hamburgers and hot dogs for the community. Now I'm leaning towards a double barrel cooker. With a 30x80 original pipe traditional door smoker with a 24x80 chargrill.both with counter weights.its a good thing I have a year to decide.lol.:confused:

pjtexas1
12-11-2017, 09:17 AM
Didn't someone just post that their chargrill ran so hot they couldn't use it? First I've ever heard of this but I'd look into it. I'd at least go traditional cabinet as it gives you more space to place stuff on top like a shelf.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sylntghost
12-11-2017, 09:31 AM
Didn't someone just post that their chargrill ran so hot they couldn't use it? First I've ever heard of this but I'd look into it. I'd at least go traditional cabinet as it gives you more space to place stuff on top like a shelf.

I've not heard of the chargrills running hot. but if I do go cabinet model it will have extra rails so you can have multiple cooking levels for the grill option and maybe a half shelf to use a warmer shelf.

Demosthenes
12-11-2017, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
I have a 48" chargrill on my trailer and wishing I didn't. Even when I only load a little bit of lump, it burns so hot, even with inlet and stack almost completely closed, that chicken is typically burnt on the outside and still raw in the middle. Maybe you will have better luck than me.

Czarbecue
12-11-2017, 11:47 AM
Even the crappiest fire on the cheapest grill can be managed. I don’t know where the original post started from but don’t you need two zones when grilling?

cats49er
12-11-2017, 12:05 PM
I would suggest cut back on the amount of charcoal used to control your temp.

Sid Post
12-11-2017, 12:11 PM
Chargrillers running too hot? I would be shocked to see a Shirley Chargriller run so hot you can't cook chicken on it.

One Drop
12-11-2017, 12:16 PM
If it was me I'd go for a shorter elevated straight back main chamber and a Santa Maria Grill for real control and better comfort and visuals when grilling. You'll end up with a shorter trailer with more capacity and it will probably look amazing and be a one-of-a-kind.

Sid Post
12-11-2017, 12:20 PM
I've got my place in line for a new Shirley. It will be used for church out reach. My original plan was for a 30x80 elevated straight back. With the main chamber slide out grill option. As our church does a lot of hamburgers and hot dogs for the community. Now I'm leaning towards a double barrel cooker. With a 30x80 original pipe traditional door smoker with a 24x80 chargrill.both with counter weights.its a good thing I have a year to decide.lol.:confused:

Have you considered adding a Fryer to your 30x80 elevated straight back? That seems like a real 'flexibility enhancer' to your new rig. Chicken and Hotdogs can be dunked in the fryer to 'crisp' them up and you still get that awesome smoked flavor.

You could also ask about getting the coal grates added to the bottom of your smoker for those times when the Shirley isn't hot enough for your cook. You can always set aside space for a charcoal grill on the Shirley trailer to be added later if you really need it. If I were going to add one myself, I think a Santa Maria pit would be a better option for me personally over a chargriller but, then again I'm not trying to cook for large crowds either.

Sid Post
12-11-2017, 12:28 PM
If it was me I'd go for a shorter elevated straight back main chamber and a Santa Maria Grill for real control and better comfort and visuals when grilling. You'll end up with a shorter trailer with more capacity and it will probably look amazing and be a one-of-a-kind.

The good trailer smoker builds I have seen with Santa Maria pits on them were real eye catchers.
:icon_smile_tongue:

With a 6 foot wide (72") trailer, you could do a 30 inch smoker and 30 inch Santa Maria with 12 inches for clearance between them. I run an 8 foot wide trailer and that's what I would do personally but, an 8 foot wide trailer can be a challenge to pull for someone inexperienced with wide loads. Since you are already pretty long overall, this probably isn't as much of a drawback as a shorter trailer. Personally, I find my 16'~20' trailer easier to pull, back up, etc. than a short utility trailer but, I also have a good place to store them when not in use.

TuscaloosaQ
12-11-2017, 12:30 PM
Mmmm the only time I’ve had a chargrill run to hot was when I had it loaded down with to much charcoal.... and I’ve done it.... too much of any fuel on any direct cook chargrill can be your enemy... you have to learn to control it.... fuel= heat=to much fuel= to hot= a mess if you can’t cool it down........ never had nar a complaint about the chargrill getting to hot..... first for me..... but I used one doing a cook for my church I had to much charcoal in it..... and I struggled my backside off.... I got greedy with the charcoal..... never again

Notorious Q.U.E.
12-11-2017, 12:31 PM
Agree with above. If I were building pipe dream Shirley , it’d look like this:

1) 30 x 80 straight back with as many rails that’ll fit
2) 24 x 60 Santa Maria
3) 2 station fryer ststion with removable griddle top

This would pretty much handle just about any imaginable outdoor cooking need. Plus, the crank wheel is a unique crowd pleaser especially if you’re doing outreach

TuscaloosaQ
12-11-2017, 12:35 PM

I can come up with some diffferent options on a chargrill..... but let others chime in too..... more heads are certainly better than one......

bonz50
12-11-2017, 12:35 PM
maybe cut in a space to fit a blackstone griddle??

Sid Post
12-11-2017, 12:40 PM
maybe cut in a space to fit a blackstone griddle??

No, dual-use fryers with griddle tops! Blackstones are nice but, multi-use fryers are better for a trailer like this IMHO.

Shagdog
12-11-2017, 01:24 PM
a chargriller is just a grill. Sure it'll run hot if the guy running it sets it up that way. I don't know what that has to do with construction. The chargriller I used that Paul built worked great, you just needed to understand how she liked to run is all... How much coal, where to set the dampers. where to NOT put your hands...

I would not even think about getting traditional doors on a cooker that will be used for large events. You will be in and out of that cooker 100 times easy. Even with a counterweight your shoulder is gonna hurt. Cabinets are just so easy. Cabinet doors all the way :thumb:

And get extra grates/slots for them, absolutely. In a standard height 2 shelf, you could have 4 racks that will all hold chicken or ribs, maybe even butts. If you need more space, just pull a rack. I would get 4 racks, maybe 5 slots?

bonz50
12-11-2017, 01:51 PM
No, dual-use fryers with griddle tops! Blackstones are nice but, multi-use fryers are better for a trailer like this IMHO.

i get the whole 'dual use' thing, i'd have to see performance comparison cuz I know how well the blackstone works with 4 burners and I think having on two round burners would make for a big hotspot with uneven cooking

Czarbecue
12-11-2017, 04:42 PM
i get the whole 'dual use' thing, i'd have to see performance comparison cuz I know how well the blackstone works with 4 burners and I think having on two round burners would make for a big hotspot with uneven cooking

Depends on the burner and how it is spaced. The Blackstone burners are straight pipe burners that are 15,000 BTUs each, spaced about 7" apart, and with a 3/16" griddle on top. But to me, it's still a unitasker because I wouldn't use it to gas grill. That's my Weber's job.

I went with a 3 burner set up with a 42" griddle. Great dual use option when I need to griddle and fry things at the same time (Lodge cast iron griddle and frying vessel). The spacing between burners are less than the 7" on a BS.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254749

Sid Post
12-11-2017, 05:12 PM

I really like my 36" Blackstone but, a 'comal' (I think that's what they are called at the Mexican market) works very well too! BTU output and hot spots can be controlled with your griddle and burner design, just like with the Blackstone only bigger! Old disc blades are also used in some areas to make good griddles too over a hot burner, sort of like a 'flat' wok with the edges being intentionally cooler to hold cooked product.

sylntghost
12-11-2017, 05:39 PM
I love the idea of a Santa Maria but I think that will put me needing a dual axel trailer.

Czarbecue
12-11-2017, 05:42 PM
I love the idea of a Santa Maria but I think that will put me needing a dual axel trailer.

Is that a deal breaker?

sylntghost
12-11-2017, 06:24 PM
Is that a deal breaker?
Not really a deal breaker but the price surely will jump up .. the more I spend the more I have to explain to the wife. Lol

Beentown
12-11-2017, 07:10 PM
Not really a deal breaker but the price surely will jump up .. the more I spend the more I have to explain to the wife. LolJust upgrade to a heavier single axle if needed. I'm guessing a 7k pound single axle will handle it.

Myself I'd buy an Assassin Grill and have it added to the trailer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BBQ Freak
12-11-2017, 07:24 PM
I am sure what ever you come up with will be great just like your other Shirley smokers and on the Shirley grill it is all in how much charcoal or lump you use and how much , you have to know your grill .

Notorious Q.U.E.
12-11-2017, 07:24 PM
Not really a deal breaker but the price surely will jump up .. the more I spend the more I have to explain to the wife. Lol

Buy once, cry once!!

Knowing how many Shirley’s you’ve had, may as well go for the moon shot that is “future proofed” as the Pentagon calls it.

I respect the catch about tandem axle is that you’d probably upgrade your truck pulling it. Imagine the possibilities , expandability and even the chance of having an extra Bay for welding an IVC in Place when the ministry grows beyond optimistic expectations ...

Sid Post
12-11-2017, 08:29 PM

Personally, I would run two 3500# axles. However, a single 7,000# axel is not that much more expensive to buy over a single 3500# version.

In my case, I run dual 7K axels on my utility trailer and my enclosed trailer. I have had a few people ask me why I didn't do a triple axel on my enclosed trailer but, the additional axle cost (inner fender, frame mods, etc.) was much more than the axle cost and, tire scrub is bad enough with that thing loaded at the gas pumps with dual axles. A triple would chew up 4 tires in no time at all when loaded.

If a 7K axel is overkill, 5K and 6K axels are pretty cheap options too.

Hoss
12-11-2017, 09:16 PM
This one does a decent job at whatever you want to cook.You could scale it to fit your needs.

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss70/Hoss_o1/IMG_3301.jpg (http://s562.photobucket.com/user/Hoss_o1/media/IMG_3301.jpg.html)

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss70/Hoss_o1/IMG_3303.jpg (http://s562.photobucket.com/user/Hoss_o1/media/IMG_3303.jpg.html)

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss70/Hoss_o1/IMG_3299.jpg (http://s562.photobucket.com/user/Hoss_o1/media/IMG_3299.jpg.html)

BlueandGoldBBQ
12-11-2017, 09:23 PM
Dang

Notorious Q.U.E.
12-11-2017, 09:32 PM
That's what I'm talking about Hoss!!

Your pics told the tale. I would venture a guess that you won't be thinking about a "next" Shirley any time soon.

Phew, I just did a double take and scrolled back at them again to drool. That's a Santa Maria to end all arguments!!!

Hoss
12-11-2017, 09:42 PM
That's what I'm talking about Hoss!!

Your pics told the tale. I would venture a guess that you won't be thinking about a "next" Shirley any time soon.

Phew, I just did a double take and scrolled back at them again to drool. That's a Santa Maria to end all arguments!!!

Not pictured is a 125# capacity stainless rotisserie that Tyler modded to bolt to the Santa Maria.It is a crowd pleaser.

pjtexas1
12-11-2017, 11:16 PM
Not pictured is a 125# capacity stainless rotisserie that Tyler modded to bolt to the Santa Maria.It is a crowd pleaser.Well then add the pics... Inspire us!

chrislapham
12-11-2017, 11:20 PM
Tyler built my "dream" trailer that I picked up in August. It has a 30 x 96 elevated straight back on one side and a 30 x 72 Santa Maria grill on the other side. I couldn't be happier with the Santa Maria and would take it over a char grill 10 times out of 10. The capacity and flexibility is really amazing.

Hoss
12-12-2017, 05:48 AM
Well then add the pics... Inspire us!

I will try next time I do a roti cook.

bonz50
12-12-2017, 10:31 AM
This one does a decent job at whatever you want to cook.You could scale it to fit your needs.

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss70/Hoss_o1/IMG_3301.jpg (http://s562.photobucket.com/user/Hoss_o1/media/IMG_3301.jpg.html)

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss70/Hoss_o1/IMG_3303.jpg (http://s562.photobucket.com/user/Hoss_o1/media/IMG_3303.jpg.html)

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss70/Hoss_o1/IMG_3299.jpg (http://s562.photobucket.com/user/Hoss_o1/media/IMG_3299.jpg.html)

THAT IS SOME SERIOUS NEXT LEVEL GEAR BRO!!!!!! :thumb:

JimmyR1Rider
12-12-2017, 11:02 AM
I ran my chargrill too hot on a charity cook for the hamburgers and dogs. I just utilized the sliding grill they come with and slid it out to put burgers once they were half cooked on the front and the fresh patties along the back. It creates a cool zone but still enough radiant that they finished that way and into a pan they went. It got a little too cool when I slid it out a bit too far, I just slid it back in and it worked great. Once the coals cooled down I slid it back in and finished them meal as such.

Sid Post
12-12-2017, 07:03 PM
Not pictured is a 125# capacity stainless rotisserie that Tyler modded to bolt to the Santa Maria.It is a crowd pleaser.

Wow! Just wow! :clap:

Westx
12-12-2017, 07:41 PM
Tyler built my "dream" trailer that I picked up in August. It has a 30 x 96 elevated straight back on one side and a 30 x 72 Santa Maria grill on the other side. I couldn't be happier with the Santa Maria and would take it over a char grill 10 times out of 10. The capacity and flexibility is really amazing.

I watched that video several times. You sir have a fantastic setup.

chrislapham
12-14-2017, 04:37 PM
I watched that video several times. You sir have a fantastic setup.

Thank you sir! It's been a blast cooking on that beast.