PDA

View Full Version : Who injects their brisket?

Clay-b-que
12-10-2017, 08:51 PM
I feel like I went crazy on Black Friday and ordered a ton of stuff. I got some kosmos brisket injection as well as butchers prime beef injection. No ideas about it but saw a few using it so I got it. Looking forward to using it but we don't do briskets much because of money. Who injects their brisket and with what (if you can share)? Other techniques?

wihint
12-10-2017, 08:58 PM
I use Minor's Beef Broth same as Myron Mixon and cook hot and wrap in a foil pan after 2 hours then I cook to probe tender. They are very good and easy to reproduce.

sudsandswine
12-10-2017, 09:17 PM
I've used both, if I had to give the nod one way or the other I would probably choose Kosmo's but I've been happy with the results of both of them.

I may try a beef broth injection the next time I inject just to compare.

OklaDustDevil
12-10-2017, 11:09 PM
No, I always feared they'd take away my Texas license if I ever injected a brisket . . . .

stangman327
12-10-2017, 11:26 PM
Iíve never injected one but the next one I do coming up on Christmas Iím going to inject.

Iím very satisfied with my brisket but I want to try something different...isnít that the whole point of cooking/eating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lomey
12-10-2017, 11:35 PM
I inject with low sodium beef broth. I think it adds nice flavor.

SmoothBoarBBQ
12-11-2017, 02:11 AM
Butchers is good for competition but I think if you're just smoking a brisket to eat it the oily texture is just too much. Outside of competition I will inject with some water / dissolved beef stock, but I don't really think it's necessary and only has a marginal impact on taste.

Burnt at Both Endz
12-11-2017, 07:21 AM
I inject with butcher's prime. 1/3cup to 10 OZs of bottle water. Cross grain every 3/4" holding the needle at a 45* angle.

I inject all my briskets that I cook, I believe that it helps hold moisture if you need to reheat them. It's hard for the Mrs and me to eat a 15#packer at one meal.

Smoking Piney
12-11-2017, 07:56 AM
I inject with a warm "Better Than Bullion" paste / water mix - all through the flat and point in a grid pattern.

Okie Sawbones
12-11-2017, 08:06 AM
I have used both Butchers and Kosmos. I like them both. I just smoked two briskets and a turkey for the church. Used Kosmos on the beef, Butchers bird booster on the turkey. The only thing left was the turkey carcass, and it was missing a few bones.

sniperfx
12-11-2017, 09:15 AM
Butchers Prime with beef broth instead of water. gets rid of the oily consistency. That for some reason they want in comps..:crazy:

smokeswirl
12-11-2017, 09:23 AM
I inject with a warm "Better Than Bullion" paste / water mix - all through the flat and point in a grid pattern.

I do the same. BUt only about 1/2 the time. Flavor and tenderness is markedly better when injected.

smoke ninja
12-11-2017, 09:29 AM
I've started playing with injection for brisket this summer. So far im happy with it and feel its an improvement.

Smokeymagoo
12-11-2017, 09:29 AM
I do not usually inject but I used Better than Bouillon Chicken Broth a couple of briskets ago and it turned out freaking good(believe it or not). I still don't do it regularly but I like cooking different ways and trying new things.

Bacchus2b
12-11-2017, 09:38 AM
I was also afraid that I would lose my Texas "Man Card" by injecting Brisket, but I started playing around with it last year and now I'm hooked!

I personally prefer Butcher's Prime, and some of the tips I have learned are:

- Inject at least eight hours before smoking or overnight, makes a big difference in taste vs. injecting and immediately smoking.
- Use a 12 gauge or smaller needle and inject in a cross hatch pattern all over the brisket.
- Mix the injection and let it sit for a while. It smells terrible so just be prepared! David Bouska sticks his in a plastic shaker cup which is very handy.

They really keep the Brisket moist (you still have to cook it properly). I would be careful injecting beef bases that have coloring added as it can leave "Tornado" like markings on your slices.

Enjoy!!!

Clay-b-que
12-11-2017, 10:10 PM
Iíve never injected one but the next one I do coming up on Christmas Iím going to inject.

Iím very satisfied with my brisket but I want to try something different...isnít that the whole point of cooking/eating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed! Interested to see what these do. I am in the exact same boat. Thanks for everyone's recommendations. :clap2:

JS-TX
12-11-2017, 10:42 PM
I inject my briskets most of the time with either Butchers or Kosmos.. sometimes a combo of both. It does add a little saltier and beefier taste to the brisket. They do work as enhancers in that regard. It also contributes to the au jus that I find useful at the end of my cook. Just remember to defat the juices if you decide to use them. Cattle Prod injection is good too, it's very beefy so maybe go light on it first to make sure you don't over do it. I find injections work best when you use enough of the product to allow the xanthum gum to thicken up the injection, otherwise it oozes out way to easy and nearly defeats the purpose.

medic92
12-11-2017, 10:56 PM
At the risk of offending some, by the time you get done rubbing, injecting and smoking your brisket, can you actually taste any beef?

I only ask because I tried a prime rib that was seasoned by the butcher a few weeks ago. He used salt, pepper, garlic, rosemary, etc... The seasoning was good but I lost the flavor of the beef with all the seasoning. I've become a huge fan of light seasoning and light smoke to let the flavor of the beef be the primary flavor.

No offense meant to anyone, we all have our own tastes and preferences.

Leftwngr
12-12-2017, 12:47 AM
Reduced beef broth. Take out down about halfway, cool it off, then into the spit jack.

I get pretty aggressive in trimming fat, so I inject to maintain moisture.

electron_si
12-12-2017, 06:00 AM
Butchers Prime with beef broth instead of water. gets rid of the oily consistency. That for some reason they want in comps..:crazy:

Iíve seen numerous videos that recommend beef broth mixed with Butchers prime.

Iím glad I found this thread. I started another thread about changing up my brisket game and decided to get Buctherís prime injection. Excited to try it this weekend

JS-TX
12-12-2017, 09:32 AM
At the risk of offending some, by the time you get done rubbing, injecting and smoking your brisket, can you actually taste any beef?

I only ask because I tried a prime rib that was seasoned by the butcher a few weeks ago. He used salt, pepper, garlic, rosemary, etc... The seasoning was good but I lost the flavor of the beef with all the seasoning. I've become a huge fan of light seasoning and light smoke to let the flavor of the beef be the primary flavor.

Yes, I can at least. Did the butcher use too much seasoning maybe? Maybe the rosemary through it off?

dalelovelace
12-12-2017, 09:48 AM
I almost always inject mine, it really keeps the meat more moist on reheat. I make my own injection.

2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon Brown sugar
1 tablespoon Dale's steak sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 cup low sodium beef or pork stock (I sometimes use pork stock just for kicks)
1 cup apple juice
2 cups water

Makes ~ 1 Quart

Okie Sawbones
12-12-2017, 09:53 AM

Oh hush. You offend people by breathing. :becky:

JS-TX
12-12-2017, 03:53 PM
I almost always inject mine, it really keeps the meat more moist on reheat. I make my own injection.

2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon Brown sugar
1 tablespoon Dale's steak sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 cup low sodium beef or pork stock (I sometimes use pork stock just for kicks)
1 cup apple juice
2 cups water

Makes ~ 1 Quart

Where do you get pork stock? Do you make your own? It's non-existent in stores around here... hijack over.. lol

Clay-b-que
12-12-2017, 08:58 PM
I’ve seen numerous videos that recommend beef broth mixed with Butchers prime.

I’m glad I found this thread. I started another thread about changing up my brisket game and decided to get Bucther’s prime injection. Excited to try it this weekend

Sweet! Please report back and let us know! I am also making a note to try it with beef broth and butchers.

I don't have enough money to cook as many briskets as some of you so I am way behind and looking to up my game however I can!!!

okiej
12-12-2017, 09:55 PM
I am another that injects with Butchers. I am interested in the beef broth mix with Butchers many mentioned also.

EdLo
12-13-2017, 08:03 AM
No, I always feared they'd take away my Texas license if I ever injected a brisket . . . .

I agree I fear the Texas Rangers/county sheriff will arrest me too. But I might do it in secrecy. :shocked:

dalelovelace
12-13-2017, 08:11 AM
Where do you get pork stock? Do you make your own? It's non-existent in stores around here... hijack over.. lol

I cook all of my butts in a 1/2 hotel pan and save the juice out of them. It's the base of my BBQ sauce, and I use it for pork stock. I almost always have a quart jar of it in the fridge.

GLOCKer
12-13-2017, 12:15 PM
I inject with a mixture of water, beef bullion, garlic, and onion powder. I have no clue if it makes any kind of difference or not because it's the only way I've done it!

roncoinc
12-13-2017, 02:53 PM

I understand what your saying.
a little smoke is fine but i have even cut out almost all the salt because i like the flavor of beef ! :)

But,,,to each his ( or her ) own.

tmac5454
12-13-2017, 08:44 PM
I like to inject my briskets. Usually just some beef broth in a few spots. Helps keep my briskets moist - although, admittedly, I've never not injected.

medic92
12-14-2017, 08:30 AM
Oh hush. You offend people by breathing. :becky:

Holy cow, it's like you know me or something! :becky:

Clasko2
12-14-2017, 10:39 AM
I’m going to give the Meat Church Holy Cow brisket injection a whirl next weekend for a tailgate. I’ll report back. So far I’ve been really happy with all Meat Church rubs I have purchased.