PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Vault/Safe owners!!

Smokeymagoo
12-10-2017, 07:19 AM
I have a quote from both LSG and Pitmaker on a new larger smoker. There is a great thread here on the ins and outs of the LSG's IVC but info is hard to obtain on the Vault. So could any VAULT/SAFE owners answer a few questions for me.

1) I am a low and slow guy. My preference is 225 to 235 degrees. How well does the vault handle these temps being a reverse flow. Most info talks of how well it does hot and fast.

2) How is the temperature range across all the racks. Is there a huge variance from top to bottom.

3) What is a true expected run time on a full load of Charcoal at sub 250 temps.

I will be upgrading from a Deep South Mailbox as I need the capacity. I am sure I would be happy with either one but would like to make the most informed decision I can before spending my cash.

Thanks,
Smokey

Notorious Q.U.E.
12-10-2017, 08:31 AM
Hey Magoo,

I just walked this path. Here’s my 6 cents:

1) Chris at LSG has the best service bar none while Pitmaker didn’t answer my calls or emails (I bought used)
2) Vault has a sloped roof for better draw and allowing precipitation to run
3) Vault has recessed gasketed doors which I believe gives better seal
4) I’m 36 hours into my burn on a full bag of Weber briquettes and 6 sticks of oak and I simply raked and did ash dump 3 Times
5) I just woke up and took this screen shot of my BBQ Guru dashboard. I believe these are the temps you’re looking for. 225 has ugly smoke for 2-3 hours and then it settles in. I cook 275 which is its cleanest heat and then pulled it back for night cause I’ll put more food on this morning but right the 225 Smoke is crystal clear
6) a Brethren has a gorgeous Viper Red Vault in Classifieds section in Alabama

Smokeymagoo
12-10-2017, 02:15 PM
Thanks Notorious, That was exactly what I wanted to know. I will be purchasing one of the 2 tomorrow. The Vault in Alabama is 10 hours away from me so to far for me to go get or I would scoop it up. I am completely torn between the 2. I will say that customer service speaks volumes to me.