PDA

View Full Version : Smoking an 85Lb pig today

SmoothBoarBBQ
12-10-2017, 06:42 AM
Hey All,

So I finally got my pig on the my offset smoker. Kind of a pain in the butt doing it all by myself, but I'm actually quite surprised at how easily the pig slid underneath the upper rack rails and right into place. Cooking this little guy at about 225į and I will be wrapping once I get a nice color... according to what most people were saying I'm looking at between an 8-10 hour cook, but I'm not too concerned about the time. I'm using 2 MEATER's to monitor the cook; one in the ham and one in the shoulder. Looking for about 170į in the ham and about 190-195į in the shoulder.

I made an Imgur album which I will be updating as the cook goes on.

https://imgur.com/a/VAncE

mowin
12-10-2017, 06:57 AM
Good luck. There a surprising easy cook. It'll come out great.

Fishiest1
12-10-2017, 07:04 AM
Is it difficult getting it out with that cross bar?

Good luck on your cook!

SmoothBoarBBQ
12-10-2017, 07:07 AM
Is it difficult getting it out with that cross bar?

Good luck on your cook!

Thanks. I'm not sure if it will be easy to get out as this is my first pig on my offset. It wasn't very difficult to get in the cooker but I'm not sure that once it's cooked it will have enough rigidity to allow for me to slide it back out and to a table. I might just end up cutting it into quarters and pulling it out that way.

Mikhail
12-10-2017, 07:26 AM
Hey, you have to cut it to plate it anyway.

jasonjax
12-10-2017, 08:16 AM
Looking mighty fine. Funny, I was going to ask about the cross-bar too, but others beat me to it!

mcyork28
12-10-2017, 09:24 AM
Sounds like a good birthday plan. Wish I had a cooker big enough for a whole pig.

cats49er
12-10-2017, 01:34 PM
Hope you are out of the wind, it's blowing a fair amount up here. Let's see some pics.

mowin
12-10-2017, 01:44 PM
Obviously too late for this cook, but I've heard some made a shorter, narrower grate that will fit on top of the bottom rack. Not all of the pig will fit on that rack, but enough will allowing you to remove the whole hog easier.

SmoothBoarBBQ
12-11-2017, 02:17 AM
Well, the pig was a bust as the texture just wasn't pleasing at all. The pig was a pretty tight fit in the cooker, and on top of that I tried using the pre-staged foil method where you roll it up so it's easy to unroll and foil for later in the cook. The pig being a tight fit and the foil being in there as well I didn't realize I had blocked a significant amount of airflow. So even on my reverse flow pit I had between a 60-100 degree difference and in doing so I wasn't able to get anything except for the shoulders cooked properly.

So I decided to cut my losses and just cut out a shoulder to pull / chop but it had absolutely zero flavor. I used Myron's injection which I use often in pork and it works well, but for whatever reason this pig had no flavor. It was quite a lean pig as well and I just couldn't coax anything decent out of it at all.

Pretty disappointing but a good learning experience and pretty humbling... kind of need to take a step back and quit jumping into things so quickly. Anyways, it was a fun cook and the smell was great, but what a let down.

KORND4WG X
12-11-2017, 03:22 AM
Dang I feel for ya :sad: Sorry it didnít work out but good on you for trying something new and sharing your experience.

Fishiest1
12-11-2017, 06:29 AM
Sorry, man! I was really hoping it turned out for you!

Czarbecue
12-11-2017, 08:28 AM
That sucks. Iíve been through that before when trying out new ideas. Donít let it prevent you from doing another whole hog again!

And I wasnít paying attention on Imgur and saw the ďotherĒ image below yours was announcing the miscarriage of their son. I thought it was yours too and thought how you canít catch a break!