PDA

View Full Version : woohoo!!! first catering gig

bonz50
12-09-2017, 09:05 PM
local liquor store is asking me to cater their outdoor summer beer tasting event. this is HUGE, probably have to make enough pork/brisket to serve approx 300-350 sammies.

the SF can't get here soon enough for that so I ~might~ have to buy an interim rig to get the gig done. gonna have to find a temp rig for it, i'm not worried about it. :D :thumb:

pjtexas1
12-09-2017, 10:02 PM
Have you thought about a rental?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bonz50
12-09-2017, 10:25 PM
hmm, interesting idea. i don't if there are any around here, worth checking out though.

Cook
12-10-2017, 07:12 AM
I would absolutely hate the pressure of renting an unknown rig to cook for a paid event. I just don't need that in my life.

In the nicest way possible I'll just mention to not forget about your state & local licenses & permits, food manager certification, insurance, inspections (if needed in your state), and knowledge of the food code. You probably have all that covered already, but a quick reminder can't hurt.

CT-Mike
12-10-2017, 07:17 AM
I would absolutely hate the pressure of renting an unknown rig to cook for a paid event. I just don't need that in my life.

In the nicest way possible I'll just mention to not forget about your state & local licenses & permits, food manager certification, insurance, inspections (if needed in your state), and knowledge of the food code. You probably have all that covered already, but a quick reminder can't hurt.

To double down on what Cook said above, hopefully you have all these things in place, or will prior to the event. On top of all that I will add in that you should also set up a LLC. The permits, ServSafe certification, and inspections are to insure you are in compliance with your local food code for serving food at a public event. The insurance and LLC are to protect your personal assets in case someone get some sick or injured and decides they want to sue.

If you decide to rent a rig for this, I would do at least one cook to get a feel for it before the paid gig.

bonz50
12-10-2017, 09:19 AM
Yes, great advice guys!! Especially the LLC bit. The annual permit is only like $50 but the insurance and etc needs some looking into

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CT-Mike
12-10-2017, 11:17 AM
Yes, great advice guys!! Especially the LLC bit. The annual permit is only like $50 but the insurance and etc needs some looking into

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do not use Legal Zoom to set up the LLC. They wanted like $750, I did it online at the State of CT website for $120.

Rhino99
12-10-2017, 12:56 PM
Just so you are all aware simply setting up an LLC with the Secretary of State is not sufficient to actually protect your assets. As an attorney, I strongly recommend you speak with a local attorney who can actually get you set up and provide advice on the proper legal steps to protect your personal assets. A bare LLC filing will do absolutely nothing if you do not follow the proper "corporate formalities" for record keeping, titling of your equipment, banking practices (not commingling business and personal funds), tax filings, etc etc. Legal Zoom will give you at least the bare bones documents required, but will not be of assistance in advising you on additional steps, documents, records, etc that you must keep in order to properly preserve your corporate identity separate from your personal identity. Failure to do so could lead to piercing of the corporate veil if you were actually to ever get sued.

Sid Post
12-10-2017, 01:27 PM
Just so you are all aware simply setting up an LLC with the Secretary of State is not sufficient to actually protect your assets. As an attorney, I strongly recommend you speak with a local attorney who can actually get you set up and provide advice on the proper legal steps to protect your personal assets. A bare LLC filing will do absolutely nothing if you do not follow the proper "corporate formalities" for record keeping, titling of your equipment, banking practices (not commingling business and personal funds), tax filings, etc etc. Legal Zoom will give you at least the bare bones documents required, but will not be of assistance in advising you on additional steps, documents, records, etc that you must keep in order to properly preserve your corporate identity separate from your personal identity. Failure to do so could lead to piercing of the corporate veil if you were actually to ever get sued.

Absolutely spot on! I suggest everyone considering an LLC read this at least twice!

As the Managing Member of two LLC's, I can assure you that it isn't as simple as just filling out a piece of paperwork with some state bureaucrat. Piercing the shield of your LLC negates all the benefits of having the LLC as well. Business hygiene is critical if you expect to save your house, cars, savings account, etc. from a lawsuit.

pharp
12-10-2017, 02:02 PM
local liquor store is asking me to cater their outdoor summer beer tasting event. this is HUGE, probably have to make enough pork/brisket to serve approx 300-350 sammies.

the SF can't get here soon enough for that so I ~might~ have to buy an interim rig to get the gig done. gonna have to find a temp rig for it, i'm not worried about it. :D :thumb:

I would start now...getting your food permit is a process. Itís not the fee or the paperwork, itís having something that will pass the inspection.

Cook
12-10-2017, 02:20 PM
Once you get a conversation going with the health department (there will be many occasions upcoming) be sure to ask them about the pit you cook on or the possibility of you renting a pit...you need to be sure the state approves.

I have had two food service businesses (restaurants) that were LLCs. My accountant handled that for me.

I'm fairly sure IL requires a manager's certificate. If that means you have to take a class in your state, then you may want to be looking for that NOW.

It all seems daunting, but you can get through it easy enough. The biggest things I can think of is doing things legally (go to the health department & don't forget your state tax id), make sure to be insured, and don't be personally liable for anything.