PDA

View Full Version : Salt, vac seal, seasoning, hmmm...help

Beentown
12-09-2017, 06:34 PM
So when I buy my whole ribeye and cut it into steaks to vac seal....would it hurt to go ahead and season before freezing? That way when I am ready for a steak, for example, I can just cook with whatever means I see fit (sous vide or Weber only) without seasoning and rebagging (if sous vide).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bbq_lover
12-09-2017, 09:21 PM
I’ve done that to pork roasts but never to steaks. You have a point about rebagging for Sous Vide. There are times I take a steak out of the freezer and put it right into the water, so it maybe a good thing. If you try it, please report back!

One Drop
12-10-2017, 05:27 AM
I wouldn't, unless someone tries it first and reports back with good results.

What I do is leave an extra few inches on the sous vide bag, seal at the end, and then I have room left over after seasoning if I want to re-seal it and cook sous vide method.

I do this with pieces if cheese I vacuum pack, like big pieces of Parmesan. I can re-seal the main piece multiple times as I cut smaller chunks off to use daily.

IamMadMan
12-10-2017, 05:48 AM
I wouldn't, unless someone tries it first and reports back with good results.

What I do is leave an extra few inches on the sous vide bag, seal at the end, and then I have room left over after seasoning if I want to re-seal it and cook sous vide method.

I do this with pieces if cheese I vacuum pack, like big pieces of Parmesan. I can re-seal the main piece multiple times as I cut smaller chunks off to use daily.

^ +1

I was going to suggest this. I also leave extra room on the bag when I know I am going to use, and reseal to keep it fresh for a couple more days.

EdF
12-10-2017, 10:17 AM
I haven't ever, though I have dry-brined or lightly salted when putting in a SV bag when the steak is fresh. Mostly just do the salting prior to finishing or at the table.

That said, I don't think it would hurt, just keep the salt light.

Beentown
12-10-2017, 12:06 PM
I'll probably do a test steak and inform. I will continue to portion and use the same bag and sealed a bit longer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk