PDA

View Full Version : Wait 18-24 months for a Shirley or build local in CA?

Smithers1945
12-09-2017, 01:09 PM
Hi guys.

As some of you have done, I was getting pretty close to pulling the trigger on a Lang 36 Hybrid with the warmer box, and then came across several threads stating Lang can't hold a candle to Shirley. I watched a bunch of Paul Shirley's YouTube videos and just seeing how enthusiastic he is about his work and dedication to his trade cemented the fact I want a Shirley. He seems like a real cool, down to earth kind of guy.

I emailed with Tyler who said he and his dad's timeframe are 24 and 18 months, respectively. Wow. That is awesome for them, and speaks volumes about the demand and quality of their products.

Which now brings me to my issue... I have outgrown the space I have on my MAK and Good One Open Range. I really need to get something bigger, and waiting 2 years will be difficult. I'd hate to buy something larger and not what I am exactly looking for to get me by for 2 years, and then end up turning around and selling it for 50-60% of what I paid. Doesn't seem like a smart financial decision. And not to mention, once the Shirley is completed, it'll cost about $1000 to ship to CA.

I thought it would be a good idea to check and see what my local options are on the west coast, and found a few. I called up Ken at KAT Smokers and Mike at California Custom Smokers to see what my options are with them, and see where pricing comes in at since I won't be hit with the crazy shipping costs. I explained to them what I am looking for in my next smoker, and am just waiting for them to get back to me.

So my question for the Brethren, what do you guys think? Wait an agonizing 18-24 months for the Rolls Royce of smokers to be sent to me or go local? I am confident the local guys do great work and I would likely be happy with whatever they build, but I worry part of me will always wonder about what if I would have waited. Like the girl that got away lol.

SmittyJonz
12-09-2017, 01:20 PM
check out

J.H. Smokers & Welding Fabrication in Cali

http://jhsmokers.com/

https://www.facebook.com/JHFabrication/

SmittyJonz
12-09-2017, 01:21 PM
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=251798

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253866

for while you are waiting on Your Shirley......... :heh:

BillN
12-09-2017, 01:21 PM
Sounds to me like you want a Shirley and anything else will leave you wondering if you made the right decision. So get your deposit in and possibly a used one meeting your needs will come available. Yes it's a long wait but once your dream cooker arrives you will forget all about the wait.

barry w
12-09-2017, 01:35 PM
The wait ends up being almost everyone's friend. With time to go over your want list and to visit other Shirley builds, you will get in the end exactly what you want and need. They are very patient with you changing your build from your original deposit to the actual built. The wait seems unbearable but it will go faster than you think. Barry

blazinfire
12-09-2017, 01:39 PM
Hey, here's my opinion and honestly it doesn't matter because I don't own one... The Shirley boy's make one hell of a smoker.. I am absolutely impressed by their product and their costumer service.. I joined this site and there was maybe a 2 month wait.. Now its 2 years?..... They must be doing something right! Any interaction I have with them on this site has been fantastic.. They seem to be a really good group of people. From what I've seen displayed on this forum their costumer service alone is worth the wait and purchase.

I'm only allowed to say this because I for one will never be able to afford something like a Shirley smoker and I am perfectly happy with what I have now and it will last me the rest of my life. I could never wait 2 years.. I could not handle it.. I think even my past posts show that if I want to buy something I'll find a way to buy it right away.

I'm sure you will be happy with whatever you decide to purchase.. If you can handle the 2 year wait and can afford it plus shipping then I would go all in on a Shirley. But I'm all for looking at all of the options.

Beentown
12-09-2017, 01:46 PM
I'd buy a used Lang and order the Shirley. Shortly before the Shirley is ready sell the Lang to help finance the Shirley.

I will not own another stickburner from a different maker unless something really changes with another maker.

They are priced well, built great and have features that are just tits.

Worth the wait with a good plan in place. Now if you didn't go the route of getting something else while you wait then I can see the 24 month wait to be a barrier.

Used Langs sell for as much as you buy them for, if you buy right.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Notorious Q.U.E.
12-09-2017, 01:49 PM
What I did was get the Lang used, enjoyed it then sold it for a profit. The money then went to my Shirley , never been happier. I say get em both

Beentown
12-09-2017, 01:52 PM
There is a guy that has been trying to sell a Lang 60 with chargriller for months in Tracey, CA.

Offer him the right price and I'm sure he'd sell.

Beentown
12-09-2017, 01:53 PM
https://goldcountry.craigslist.org/for/d/lang-60-with-grill-on-trailer/6373469895.html

Beentown
12-09-2017, 01:54 PM
I must have misread the OP as I assumed a bigger smoker.

St. Louis BBQ Store showed having some smaller Shirleys in stock.

BlueandGoldBBQ
12-09-2017, 02:11 PM
https://fatstacksmokers.com

Check these guys out on instagram, great quality, out of LA also

Smithers1945
12-09-2017, 02:17 PM
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=251798

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253866

for while you are waiting on Your Shirley......... :heh:

Thanks Smitty. I read through these threads to see this guy's build come to life. Pretty cool. I will check him out.

Smithers1945
12-09-2017, 02:19 PM
Sounds to me like you want a Shirley and anything else will leave you wondering if you made the right decision. So get your deposit in and possibly a used one meeting your needs will come available. Yes it's a long wait but once your dream cooker arrives you will forget all about the wait.

That's kind of what I'm thinking too.

Smithers1945
12-09-2017, 02:20 PM
What I did was get the Lang used, enjoyed it then sold it for a profit. The money then went to my Shirley , never been happier. I say get em both

I search CL every day or so looking to see what's out there. Langs come up every once in a while. I found one about 80 miles away. A regular 36 patio, and the price was $1500. Seemed a bit high to me. What do you think? It appeared to be in good condition.

Smithers1945
12-09-2017, 02:59 PM
I must have misread the OP as I assumed a bigger smoker.

St. Louis BBQ Store showed having some smaller Shirleys in stock.

Thanks for your comment. I looked at that Lang a while back, and it's too big for me. I don't have room at the house for a trailer.

I do like the idea of finding one as a temporary solution, and then getting the Shirley later.

Also, I have talked to the guys in STL. It is appealing, but I would really like a warmer box. I am SO tempted to get one they still have available, but I think I'll miss not having the warmer box.

Smithers1945
12-09-2017, 03:04 PM
https://fatstacksmokers.com

Check these guys out on instagram, great quality, out of LA also

I actually looked into these guys yesterday. They're the closest option for me. However, I wasn't overly impressed. If you look at the picture of the smoker on their homepage, the metal work around the handle on the lid looks kind of messy. The surface looks uneven or the paint wasn't applied very well.

Rusty Kettle
12-09-2017, 03:14 PM
My advice is wait. You have cookers I assume. So wait for what you really want. Shirley is out of my budget. If I had the oppurtunity to own one if i waited 2 years then I would wait.

SmoothBoarBBQ
12-09-2017, 03:52 PM
I actually looked into these guys yesterday. They're the closest option for me. However, I wasn't overly impressed. If you look at the picture of the smoker on their homepage, the metal work around the handle on the lid looks kind of messy. The surface looks uneven or the paint wasn't applied very well.

Haha... it's obvious you WANT the Shirley and you're going to pick holes in anything else. Get yourself a Old Country Brazos in the mean time and put in your deposit for the Shirley. Better to wait and get exactly what you want than to have to look at something else every time you cook and aren't satisfied with.

midwestmindz
12-09-2017, 03:59 PM
Outlaw BBQ Smokers sent a cart model stick burner out to California for King of the Smokers there looking to sell local. Look them up on Facebook. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=521423384870279&id=408915099454442

Beentown
12-09-2017, 03:59 PM
Thanks for your comment. I looked at that Lang a while back, and it's too big for me. I don't have room at the house for a trailer.

I do like the idea of finding one as a temporary solution, and then getting the Shirley later.

Also, I have talked to the guys in STL. It is appealing, but I would really like a warmer box. I am SO tempted to get one they still have available, but I think I'll miss not having the warmer box.Have you talked with them lately? Shirley had a bunch, with warmers, headed their way. It was on the Shirley FB page.

SmoothBoarBBQ
12-09-2017, 04:02 PM
Outlaw BBQ Smokers sent a cart model stick burner out to California for King of the Smokers there looking to sell local. Look them up on Facebook.

Their cookers look amazing and to be certainly on par with Jambo. Any idea the price they're asking for the cart model? No matter how much I look online I can't find a single price for anything from Outlaw Smokers. Kind of think it means I probably couldn't afford it. haha

midwestmindz
12-09-2017, 04:06 PM
Their cookers look amazing and to be certainly on par with Jambo. Any idea the price they're asking for the cart model? No matter how much I look online I can't find a single price for anything from Outlaw Smokers. Kind of think it means I probably couldn't afford it. haha

Cart model I think is around 5k. I know there working on a website

SmoothBoarBBQ
12-09-2017, 04:09 PM
Cart model I think is around 5k. I know there working on a website

Haha, I'm a fool... says right there at the top of the page, $5900 plus tax. So that's in the ball park of about $6300... not bad.

midwestmindz
12-09-2017, 04:13 PM
Haha, I'm a fool... says right there at the top of the page, $5900 plus tax. So that's in the ball park of about $6300... not bad.

Someone is selling a full enclosed in the classifieds at a steal.

pjtexas1
12-09-2017, 04:47 PM
I'm with Rusty... If you have a cooker to use now get the Shirley. I put my deposit in may 2014 and picked it up may 2015. They just keep gaining momentum. It definitely will not cost $5,900 for a patio model. Anything else and you are still gonna be wanting the Shirley.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

angryelfFan
12-09-2017, 05:53 PM
Absolutely wait and get something to hold you over. You will hone your stick burning skills and once your Shirley finally arrives, she will purr like a kitty. I had an OK Joe Longhorn for a few months to play with. By the time I found a used Shirley, burning sticks was second nature. The Shirley is such a beautiful beast that I have never had a drafting or bad smoke issue with it. Build my lump base and start loading sticks, easy peasy. I am thinking about getting in line for one with a warmer since mine doesn't have one. Selling a used Shirley around here is never a problem.

South Butte Slim
12-09-2017, 06:08 PM
When I researched fabricating a trailer pit locally it was just as much or more than waiting for a shirley built to my specifications by real pros. I only had to wait 10 months but well worth it.

Notorious Q.U.E.
12-09-2017, 06:47 PM
I search CL every day or so looking to see what's out there. Langs come up every once in a while. I found one about 80 miles away. A regular 36 patio, and the price was $1500. Seemed a bit high to me. What do you think? It appeared to be in good condition.

Battle is won and lost at the buy. Locking in a killer price ensures that you break even at least. Politely counter at 1200, you may be surprised that he jumps and says ok. Youíll at least recoup 1000 on back end for Da Shirley !!

SmittyJonz
12-09-2017, 07:32 PM
Lang 36 is TOO Small......shouldn't even make them. Order a Old Country Smokehouse from Academy and place deposit on a Shirley. :heh:

Smithers1945
12-09-2017, 08:38 PM
Outlaw BBQ Smokers sent a cart model stick burner out to California for King of the Smokers there looking to sell local. Look them up on Facebook. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=521423384870279&id=408915099454442

I saw that posted in the classifieds a while back. The price is just too high for what I'm looking to pay. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get everything I want in the Shirley with shipping for a lot less.

70monte
12-09-2017, 08:40 PM
I personally am very impatient and could not wait 2 years to get it. You have to decide if you can wait that long.

Beentown
12-09-2017, 08:41 PM
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1763993037260175/permalink/1953613104964833/

Here are the ones that are going to the STL BBQ Store.

Smithers1945
12-09-2017, 08:42 PM
Haha... it's obvious you WANT the Shirley and you're going to pick holes in anything else. Get yourself a Old Country Brazos in the mean time and put in your deposit for the Shirley. Better to wait and get exactly what you want than to have to look at something else every time you cook and aren't satisfied with.

You summed up my gut feeling well. I will likely sell my MAK and Good One, pick up a used Lang or something to cook on for a while and order what I want. I did talk to two local builders and am going to see what they can do. But I'm pretty positive I'll be sending Paul Shirley a deposit early this week.

Smithers1945
12-09-2017, 08:44 PM
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1763993037260175/permalink/1953613104964833/

Here are the ones that are going to the STL BBQ Store.

Thanks. I talked to Scott from the STL BBQ Store the other night. The ones with the warmer are already spoken for. I thought about getting one without the warmer, but I think not having the warmer is a deal breaker for me.

Smithers1945
12-09-2017, 08:48 PM
My advice is wait. You have cookers I assume. So wait for what you really want. Shirley is out of my budget. If I had the oppurtunity to own one if i waited 2 years then I would wait.

I actually spoke with Paul today. His son Tyler's turnaround time is 24 months and Paul's isn't as bad. I am a very impatient person as well, but I have other cookers that have gotten me by for a while now.

Rockinar
12-09-2017, 09:36 PM
It's only a few bucks to get on the list. Throw your hat in the ring, then go from there. In 2 years you might not even want an offset.

Westx
12-09-2017, 09:52 PM
Smithers1945 I just picked up a 24 x 42 straight back elevated with 3rd shelf in main and warmer with 3rd shelf and charcoal grate plus custom cover and custom metal work and it was less than $4,500 but I picked it up so had to pay the 9% tax. With my setup I am only 220 Sq inches less on cooking space in the main chamber than a 24 x 60 standard cabinet model. Like others have stated get something used and put the deposit on the Shirley.

SmittyJonz
12-09-2017, 10:30 PM
Lone Star Grillz Vertical Offset with Warmer are also BadAzz.......just ask Sako/SSV3...... Just Sayin'......:loco:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214028

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233966

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229641

angryelfFan
12-13-2017, 08:22 PM
Thanks Smithers!

This thread got me thinking. I have a used 24x50 Shirley which I love but it doesn't have a warmer and a few other features that I want...so...I mailed in my check Tuesday to get in line. I am in a great spot, I already have a Shirley to hold me over and can now daydream about exactly what I want to order...for the next 12-24 months. :-D and also figure out how the hell I am going to get it up here.

Happy Hapgood
12-13-2017, 08:57 PM
Just crossposting this other Q-Talk thread

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254901

JimmyR1Rider
12-13-2017, 09:59 PM
Hands down wait for the Shirley.

Smithers1945
12-13-2017, 11:31 PM
Hey guys, sorry I have been MIA the past few days. I decided to pull the trigger on the Shirley. I mailed my deposit today, and Paul will be the one doing the build. I'm really excited, and glad I did so much research on this forum before making my decision.

I will say, I spoke with both KAT and California Customer Smokers. Both guys were great, and I enjoyed my discussions and input from them. Both Ken from Kat and Mike from California Custom Smokers are great guys, and know their stuff. If any of you CA Brethren are looking for a well-build smoker without crazy shipping costs, these guys are both great options.

With that said, I am stoked for my upcoming Shirley!

JimmyR1Rider
12-14-2017, 12:37 AM
Hey guys, sorry I have been MIA the past few days. I decided to pull the trigger on the Shirley. I mailed my deposit today, and Paul will be the one doing the build. I'm really excited, and glad I did so much research on this forum before making my decision.

I will say, I spoke with both KAT and California Customer Smokers. Both guys were great, and I enjoyed my discussions and input from them. Both Ken from Kat and Mike from California Custom Smokers are great guys, and know their stuff. If any of you CA Brethren are looking for a well-build smoker without crazy shipping costs, these guys are both great options.

Best decision you could have made IMHO. Welcome to the family.

Smithers1945
12-14-2017, 07:17 AM
Best decision you could have made IMHO. Welcome to the family.

Thanks. I'm really looking forward to having this monster smoker on my patio!

Now I'm trying to figure out exactly what accessories to add to it.

Shagdog
12-14-2017, 09:11 AM
Ken from KAT builds a great pit, but you have chosen wisely. You will not be sorry with a shirley pit. They are awesome. Have fun watching the youtube videos constantly for the next 2 years!

This is a good thread to kill some time with as well .. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209002

pitbossJB
12-14-2017, 09:40 AM
Buy once, cry once.

lwdbo1
12-14-2017, 10:26 AM

Congrats brother !! Now let the torture of waiting and watching everyone else get theirs begin :becky:

I was fortunate to only have about 4-5 month wait last yr with Paul. Worked out great for me. Was in Mn on vacation visiting family. I left there and went to down to the Shirleys and headed home with that bad boy. Killed 2 birds with 1 stone. 1of the Best drives home ive ever had :becky:

JokerBroker
12-14-2017, 10:32 AM
It's only a few bucks to get on the list. Throw your hat in the ring, then go from there. In 2 years you might not even want an offset.

Do you know if the deposit is refundable if you change your mind a year from now?

JokerBroker
12-14-2017, 10:38 AM
...Paul will be the one doing the build.

First of all congratulations! :clap: Just curious, does that mean that Paul will do the build from start to finish or does he do some of the work and then he oversees some of the work? Also, did you choose Paul because of less lead time or do some people prefer Paul's work over Tyler's? I know this question was asked before and I know they both do outstanding work but I can't remember if some preferred one person's work over the other.

miked125
12-14-2017, 11:26 AM
It sounds like you have your mind set but don't want to wait... eventually your name is going on that list. Instead of buying that new smoker then reselling it for half the cost, can you find a used one at half the cost? Then resell the used smoker once the shirley is done? The used prices are probably more stable and if you want to unload it there will be less of a discount.

Coat
12-14-2017, 12:21 PM
I'd rather want a smoker I don't (yet) have than have one I don't want.
If you want a shirley then you'll be alright while you wait.

Shagdog
12-14-2017, 12:56 PM
First of all congratulations! :clap: Just curious, does that mean that Paul will do the build from start to finish or does he do some of the work and then he oversees some of the work? Also, did you choose Paul because of less lead time or do some people prefer Paul's work over Tyler's? I know this question was asked before and I know they both do outstanding work but I can't remember if some preferred one person's work over the other.

It doesn't matter who does the build, the end result is the same. About the only thing you could even compare between a Tyler cooker or Paul cooker is weld quality, which is off the charts for both men. Their dime stacks may look a little different, but other than that, a Shirley cooker is a Shirley cooker.

Paul or Tyler do the bulk of the fabrication on their cookers. I know they do hand off some of the build work to the other guys... Like cookgrates, firebaskets etc, but for the most part, Paul will build a Paul cooker, or Tyler will build a Tyler cooker. My first one was a Tyler, my second one was a Paul. (But I think Jaden connected my Firebox to the warmer) Oh, there is one exception, I think Tyler assembles all the insulated fireboxes.. Anyways, both were masterpieces!

JokerBroker
12-14-2017, 01:11 PM
Paul or Tyler do the bulk of the fabrication on their cookers...

I would be fine with either one of their work. I just wouldn't want to place an order and find out 2 years from now that their company has grown to the point where they have hired more people and the end product isn't at the level I'm seeing today.

Rockinar
12-14-2017, 01:27 PM
Do you know if the deposit is refundable if you change your mind a year from now?

I dont know. Maybe someone here does. I would expect it to be non refudable though.

Shagdog
12-14-2017, 01:27 PM
I would be fine with either one of their work. I just wouldn't want to place an order and find out 2 years from now that their company has grown to the point where they have hired more people and the end product isn't at the level I'm seeing today.

:laugh: Sorry I shouldn't laugh, but you obviously have not met Paul or Tyler. That's not going to happen... Ever. I've never known anyone as picky and exacting as them Shirley boys. Working for Paul is no picnic, but the results speak for themselves. He expects perfection from everyone that works for him, and if it ain't perfect, you're going to do it until it is. Every cooker, every weld, is how its supposed to be. And if its not, Paul would fly to your house, rent a welder, and make it right. This isn't me feeding some myth, this is a fact. He's done it. I don't recommend many things, but You can buy from Shirley Fabrication with total confidence.

Its part of the reason that they have been so slow to grow, its pretty hard to find workers who live up to Paul and Tyler's expectations.

And as to the deposit, the whole point of a deposit is that it is non refundable. That being said, Paul would probably give it back if you took advantage of his generous nature.

JokerBroker
12-14-2017, 01:38 PM
I don't make it a habit of placing a deposit on something unless I plan on following through with my end of the deal but stuff happens and two years is a long time. I was just curious about the procedure but I don't like wasting people's time. If something happened on my end where I couldn't start the build, I wouldn't ask for the money back.

pjtexas1
12-14-2017, 01:49 PM
i was under the impression that Paul does the smaller cookers between his full time job. as far as quality goes...as long as the last name is Shirley it will not really matter. mine was mostly done by Ross Shirley, Tyler's little brother, and the welds are just as perfect as any you will see on another SF.

on the deposit...i would almost bet money that someone would buy your spot in line if that wasn't an issue for Paul or Tyler.

Shagdog
12-14-2017, 01:52 PM
If something happened on my end where I couldn't start the build, I wouldn't ask for the money back.

I am pretty sure he would give it back if it came to that, or like PJ said, just sell it to someone further down the list!

bonehead762
Thanks. I'm really looking forward to having this monster smoker on my patio!

Now I'm trying to figure out exactly what accessories to add to it.

I can help with that...

1) All of them.

Glad I could help.

pjtexas1
I don't make it a habit of placing a deposit on something unless I plan on following through with my end of the deal but stuff happens and two years is a long time. I was just curious about the procedure but I don't like wasting people's time. If something happened on my end where I couldn't start the build, I wouldn't ask for the money back.

in that case you would not be hurting anyone...you would actually be helping everyone else get their cooker sooner. i know that some have gone as far as having theirs built and then backed out. that cooker sold the same or next day. not really a problem for them other than having to post it on FaceBook for sale.

bonz50
12-14-2017, 03:35 PM
My Xmas bonus just came in, check heading out Monday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pjtexas1
12-14-2017, 07:09 PM
My Xmas bonus just came in, check heading out Monday

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkRunning away from home?

WareZdaBeef
12-14-2017, 07:16 PM
I would never wait that long. Buy something with a better price tag. I mean, we are talking about welded steel here, its not rocket science.

bonz50
12-14-2017, 08:58 PM
Running away from home?

I might have to....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smithers1945
12-14-2017, 09:44 PM
I would never wait that long. Buy something with a better price tag. I mean, we are talking about welded steel here, its not rocket science.

Go look at some YouTube videos of Shirleys and other competitors. You'll understand why many wait as long as they do. Shirley's quality is second to none.

Sure it's not rocket science, but the same could be said about the engineers and builders at the Rolls Royce factory.

BBQ Freak
12-14-2017, 09:44 PM
:laugh: Sorry I shouldn't laugh, but you obviously have not met Paul or Tyler. That's not going to happen... Ever. I've never known anyone as picky and exacting as them Shirley boys. Working for Paul is no picnic, but the results speak for themselves. He expects perfection from everyone that works for him, and if it ain't perfect, you're going to do it until it is. Every cooker, every weld, is how its supposed to be. And if its not, Paul would fly to your house, rent a welder, and make it right. This isn't me feeding some myth, this is a fact. He's done it. I don't recommend many things, but You can buy from Shirley Fabrication with total confidence.

Its part of the reason that they have been so slow to grow, its pretty hard to find workers who live up to Paul and Tyler's expectations.

And as to the deposit, the whole point of a deposit is that it is non refundable. That being said, Paul would probably give it back if you took advantage of his generous nature.

well said and totally agree .

Smithers1945
12-14-2017, 09:51 PM

It isn't. I also wouldn't even ask for it back if I needed to back out.

Smithers1945
12-14-2017, 09:53 PM
Congrats brother !! Now let the torture of waiting and watching everyone else get theirs begin :becky:

I was fortunate to only have about 4-5 month wait last yr with Paul. Worked out great for me. Was in Mn on vacation visiting family. I left there and went to down to the Shirleys and headed home with that bad boy. Killed 2 birds with 1 stone. 1of the Best drives home ive ever had :becky:

I bet that was a nice drive! I thought about potentially driving to get mine for all of about 5 seconds, and decided the drive there would likely kill me let alone turning around and driving back with a trailer someone could wheel my new toy off of in the middle of the night.

Smithers1945
12-14-2017, 09:59 PM

Thank you man.

I started by emailing them directly through their website, and heard from Tyler a day later. He let me know his build time is a lot longer than his dad's, so I got in touch with Paul. Plus after watching all of the videos with Paul in them, I thought it'd be cool to have Paul do the build. From what I understand, Paul will build it. As to whether or not he will have someone help, I'm not sure.

I think if you put one smoker built by each of them side by side, you likely won't be able to tell who build what.

Smithers1945
12-14-2017, 10:03 PM

Personally, I think if I were to back out, that's my problem and not theirs. They communicated their wait time upfront, and I accepted it. If something were to happen and I couldn't take it, I would look at it as sunk cost on my part.

Hoss
12-14-2017, 10:16 PM
Buy once,cry once.The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. Shirley's are not for everyone,just like Rolls Royces are not either.If you can afford it,want it and can stand the wait,they are the BEST QUALITY SMOKERS AVAILABLE.Just my honest opinion.

Smithers1945
12-14-2017, 10:22 PM
Buy once,cry once.The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. Shirley's are not for everyone,just like Rolls Royces are not either.If you can afford it,want it and can stand the wait,they are the BEST QUALITY SMOKERS AVAILABLE.Just my honest opinion.

Yup, I agree completely. The nice part is being able to throw down $300 for a deposit, and then have some time to stack your chips before the smoker is built.

bonz50
12-14-2017, 10:24 PM

Hoss, just noticed your location, I stayed there at the Super8 by the highway on my way to Manning Passing Academy in Louisiana with my son two summers back, I'd bet not many people know where that's at. :clap2:

as for the rest of your statement, I only have a single first hand inspection of a Shirley and I 100% agree, Shagdog's 24x70 was a work of friggin art, after seeing that thing in action I know there is no other smoker that can satisfy my "needs". and I saw the pics of your rig, :jaw: just friggin WOW

Hoss
12-14-2017, 10:31 PM
Hoss, just noticed your location, I stayed there at the Super8 by the highway on my way to Manning Passing Academy in Louisiana with my son two summers back, I'd bet not many people know where that's at. :clap2:

as for the rest of your statement, I only have a single first hand inspection of a Shirley and I 100% agree, Shagdog's 24x70 was a work of friggin art, after seeing that thing in action I know there is no other smoker that can satisfy my "needs". and I saw the pics of your rig, :jaw: just friggin WOW

I appreciate the compliment on the cooker but Paul and Tyler deserve ALL the praise.Workmanship,customer service,imiganition,unmatched!Hate we missed your visit,we live right across the road from there( Super 8 ), well actually around the corner and across from it.

Hoss
12-14-2017, 10:42 PM

I appreciate the compliment on the cooker but Paul and Tyler deserve ALL the praise.Workmanship,customer service,imiganition,unmatched!Hate we missed your visit,we live right across the road from there( Super 8).

bonz50
12-14-2017, 10:44 PM
I appreciate the compliment on the cooker but Paul and Tyler deserve ALL the praise.Workmanship,customer service,imiganition,unmatched!Hate we missed your visit,we live right across the road from there( Super 8 ), well actually around the corner and across from it.
my boys demanded we eat at the waffle house down the street. :thumb:

AtlGator
12-15-2017, 02:18 PM
I only read the OP's message and thought to chip in my $.02.

A 2 year wait is absurd for an offset smoker. And I simply do not buy that their smokers are that much better at getting you a blue smoke than any other respectable stick burner out there.

55% of offset cooking is fire management, the rest is the meat, the rub, knowing when it's done, and the cooker itself. In other words, the fire is the most important thing - and there are dozens of very fine manufacturers that would enable the same thing on the plate if you get your fire right.

With that said, if you gotta have one of their cookers, so you can join that club and the resultant pride of ownership - well, you have your answer. Otherwise, I'd suggest looking at some other companies' offerings. Good luck with your purchase!

One Drop
12-16-2017, 03:50 AM

A 2 year wait is absurd for an offset smoker. And I simply do not buy that their smokers are that much better at getting you a blue smoke than any other respectable stick burner out there.

55% of offset cooking is fire management, the rest is the meat, the rub, knowing when it's done, and the cooker itself. In other words, the fire is the most important thing - and there are dozens of very fine manufacturers that would enable the same thing on the plate if you get your fire right.

With that said, if you gotta have one of their cookers, so you can join that club and the resultant pride of ownership - well, you have your answer. Otherwise, I'd suggest looking at some other companies' offerings. Good luck with your purchase!

I don't think anyone claims they are that much better at getting the thin blue smoke than comparable pits with a good reputation. It's the whole package, well laid out and designed, good draft, best quality welds and materials with thick steel and proper sized fireboxes, extremely versatile with the various ways of using the warmer, full customisable, and all this at what I consider lower prices for comparable quality and features compared to just about any fabricator out there.

I am speaking from only secondhand knowledge, but I've been working in the industry long enough to recognise pro kit made by dedicated and passionate artisans, and there are rarely more than a few companies that consistently get it right at any given time. Shirley seems to me to be one of those companies, and it is always a bonus to know you are supporting a family company that puts pride in craftsmanship and design ahead of pure profit.

This is why I will probably soon be putting a down payment on one, partly because it fits well with my plans to get back into cooking professionally via catering in a few years, and also because I will be better organised to store and transport a big offset cooker by then as well.

Lastly, I have never gone wrong by buying the best I can afford as long as the money goes to quality and not hype or brand image on its own. In the long run it's worth it economically, and the pleasure and reduction in hassle and disappointment is worth it in itself.

It doesn't mean I can't make do, because that is the mark of a truly great cook, to be able to get good results with whatever you have to work with, but there's a world of difference in pleasure between making do and having great tools that are perfect for the job at hand.

Sid Post
12-16-2017, 04:06 AM
I don't think anyone claims they are that much better at getting the thin blue smoke than comparable pits with a good reputation. It's the whole package, well laid out and designed, good draft, best quality welds and materials with thick steel and proper sized fireboxes, extremely versatile with the various ways of using the warmer, full customisable, and all this at what I consider lower prices for comparable quality and features compared to just about any fabricator out there.

I am speaking from only secondhand knowledge, but I've been working in the industry long enough to recognise pro kit made by dedicated and passionate artisans, and there are rarely more than a few companies that consistently get it right at any given time. Shirley seems to me to be one of those companies, and it is always a bonus to know you are supporting a family company that puts pride in craftsmanship and design ahead of pure profit.

This is why I will probably soon be putting a down payment on one, partly because it fits well with my plans to get back into cooking professionally via catering in a few years, and also because I will be better organised to store and transport a big offset cooker by then as well.

Lastly, I have never gone wrong by buying the best I can afford as long as the money goes to quality and not hype or brand image on its own. In the long run it's worth it economically, and the pleasure and reduction in hassle and disappointment is worth it in itself.

It doesn't mean I can't make do, because that is the mark of a truly great cook, to be able to get good results with whatever you have to work with, but there's a world of difference in pleasure between making do and having great tools that are perfect for the job at hand.

I totally agree!

The Shirley's are good honest people that take pride in what they do.

They earned their backlog!

Sid Post
12-16-2017, 04:23 AM

They are not price gouging and taking shortcuts like some other makers do which is part of the reason why their backlog is so long and why they have so many loyal fans.

I have been around long enough on other forums to see Fanboys and Fangirls give makers an ego that drove up their price and backlogs while the quality of their work never rose to the level to justify their high price and long waits. When I finally saw the makers work in question after reading and listening to the Fanboys and Fangirls drone on for so long, I was stunned to see the low quality of work, sub-par performance of said product, and what a totally inflated unjustified ego these *#$)@!* had. I still remember one particular knifemaker vividly.

The Shirley's have earned the backlog and the respect of people like myself through continued hard work producing a very high-quality product they make themselves in-house. They do it all while remaining humble and respecting the people that bring them their business.

So yes, you can buy a reverse flow offset from many makers. Many of them actually work pretty well. What you will have a hard doing is buying one at a similar price, with similar features and, similar quality of construction. There are a lot of good people in the BBQ business so, I'll call that one a draw. :wink:

CT-Mike
12-16-2017, 07:40 AM

When I picked up Ol' Mortimer this March, I asked Paul why he didn't bring on more people to increase production/reduce backlog:

"Mike, I can't find people that want to come to work everyday, put in 8 hours, and take pride in what they do. I'm not willing to sacrifice quality."

Notorious Q.U.E.
12-16-2017, 11:34 AM
I wanted my Shirley so badly that I bought it from a private seller. Probably best cooker I ever will own, only way I’d sell is if I got another Shirley.

My Vault is a convenience cooker (still delicious) but Shirley is still hands down the best food I can possibly cook given the time and fire tending. You won’t regret getting a Shirley !!

Smithers1945
12-16-2017, 11:39 AM
They are not price gouging and taking shortcuts like some other makers do which is part of the reason why their backlog is so long and why they have so many loyal fans.

I have been around long enough on other forums to see Fanboys and Fangirls give makers an ego that drove up their price and backlogs while the quality of their work never rose to the level to justify their high price and long waits. When I finally saw the makers work in question after reading and listening to the Fanboys and Fangirls drone on for so long, I was stunned to see the low quality of work, sub-par performance of said product, and what a totally inflated unjustified ego these *#$)@!* had. I still remember one particular knifemaker vividly.

The Shirley's have earned the backlog and the respect of people like myself through continued hard work producing a very high-quality product they make themselves in-house. They do it all while remaining humble and respecting the people that bring them their business.

So yes, you can buy a reverse flow offset from many makers. Many of them actually work pretty well. What you will have a hard doing is buying one at a similar price, with similar features and, similar quality of construction. There are a lot of good people in the BBQ business so, I'll call that one a draw. :wink:

While I haven't exactly seen the fanboys and fangirls you mention on various forums, I do agree 100% with what you said about other brands cutting corners or not having as good of quality with either the same or a higher price tag. I looked at a LOT of smokers before calling up Paul and placing a deposit... I found a lot of nice smokers out there that would do what I am looking for, but I kept finding little flaws with each one. I knew if I chose something else other than Shirley, I would think about those flaws often and second guess not having the very best quality that comes with a Shirley.

Besides the overall quality in terms of welds and construction, I think the Shirley's cabinet design is not only extremely practical, but it looks awesome. You don't have to deal with lifting a heavy door every time you open it, and you can have turkeys or other birds up on top without worrying about the lid closing on it. I used to deal with this issue when I had my Traeger Texas several years ago, and it drove me bonkers.

The other big reason I chose going with Shirley is Paul himself. I've watched a lot of his YouTube videos, and seeing how passionate he is about his builds pretty much cemented my decision to place a deposit. Sure other manufacturers have videos on online where they showcase their builds, but Paul talks about other things in his videos, like his support for veterans, his community, and overall seems like a real genuine guy. I suppose the best way to explain it is I feel more comfortable knowing who I working with, and it's not some large corporation where I have to call an 800 number and wait to speak with someone who has no idea who I am.

JohnH12
12-16-2017, 12:19 PM
To the OP.
I'm sure the Shirley Fab is a great cooker but there's no reason to trash a Lang either.
Enjoy your wait while I continue to put out many pounds of Q on my Lang.

RacrX
12-16-2017, 12:31 PM
They really do fantastic work, like others here I've looked at all of them in detail. I love my LSG and my OK Joe has been amazing for the price with a few cheap mods, but the Shirley really is an incredible value in addition to masterful work. I'm thinking about it right now, don't need it any time soon and don't mind the wait- if I go for it I'll think of it as a layaway plan!

Rockinar
12-16-2017, 02:27 PM

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/922/014/7e4.jpg

Smithers1945
12-16-2017, 02:33 PM
To the OP.
I'm sure the Shirley Fab is a great cooker but there's no reason to trash a Lang either.
Enjoy your wait while I continue to put out many pounds of Q on my Lang.

Oh come on... No where in my comment was I trashing Lang. Langs are fine smokers, and I'd be happy to have one, but Shirley's attention to details is on another level.

Thank you, I will enjoy my wait for an amazing, custom built beast :thumb:

JohnH12
12-16-2017, 03:39 PM
Maybe you forgot how you started off.
From your original post in this thread:
"came across several threads stating Lang can't hold a candle to Shirley."

Av8er
12-16-2017, 03:50 PM
Maybe you forgot how you started off.
From your original post in this thread:
"came across several threads stating Lang can't hold a candle to Shirley."

Doesn’t sound like he is trashing Lang to me. Sounds more like a statement rather than trying to bash anyone.

Notorious Q.U.E.
12-16-2017, 08:11 PM
I just wrote in the Lang thread that these two names are the best RF cookers out there. I’ve been lucky enough to own one of each. It’s like a corvette and a viper. Only a silly person would say a bad thing about either. You won’t go wrong with either.

As a lot of the posts above have said, there’s an artistic aspect to these cookers. My Shirley is functional metal art. I just love staring at it. It’s beautiful and makes some wildly good Que!!

Smithers1945
12-16-2017, 08:40 PM
I just wrote in the Lang thread that these two names are the best RF cookers out there. Iíve been lucky enough to own one of each. Itís like a corvette and a viper. Only a silly person would say a bad thing about either. You wonít go wrong with either.

As a lot of the posts above have said, thereís an artistic aspect to these cookers. My Shirley is functional metal art. I just love staring at it. Itís beautiful and makes some wildly good Que!!

I saw your comment in the other thread. I couldn't agree more. I would have bought a Lang before I looked into Shirley further. Chances are I will buy a Lang to use until my Shirley is done.

Love your comment about it being functional metal art. I have already picked where I am going to lay cement and keep it on my property. I'll be able to look at it through my home office window so I can admire it all day.

Notorious Q.U.E.
12-16-2017, 09:56 PM
I saw your comment in the other thread. I couldn't agree more. I would have bought a Lang before I looked into Shirley further. Chances are I will buy a Lang to use until my Shirley is done.

Love your comment about it being functional metal art. I have already picked where I am going to lay cement and keep it on my property. I'll be able to look at it through my home office window so I can admire it all day.

You got that right!! Iíll catch myself going outside just to have excuse to glare at it. Even if Iím not too hungry, Iíll look for an excuse to put some sticks on and light her up. Itís pure joy cooking on this thing. No regrets. Youíll also grow to love your Lang and find it hard to part with it as it too is a formidable cooking machine

Hoss
12-16-2017, 10:26 PM
I am gonna sign up on the Shirley wait again.No tellin what they will come up with in the next two years!! I really could not be happier with my custom build other than I do not have time to use it as much as I would like to. Kinda like an English double barreled shotgun.The finest made,heirloom,pass it down.

Smithers1945
12-16-2017, 10:55 PM
I am gonna sign up on the Shirley wait again.No tellin what they will come up with in the next two years!! I really could not be happier with my custom build other than I do not have time to use it as much as I would like to. Kinda like an English double barreled shotgun.The finest made,heirloom,pass it down.

Ya know, that's not a bad idea. I'm sure you will be able to sell your current Shirley for a good price once your new one is ready. You don't see many used ones come up for sale often, and someone who doesn't want to wait 2 years will swoop it right up.

JohnH12
12-17-2017, 05:59 AM
I just wrote in the Lang thread that these two names are the best RF cookers out there. Iíve been lucky enough to own one of each. Itís like a corvette and a viper. Only a silly person would say a bad thing about either. You wonít go wrong with either.

As a lot of the posts above have said, thereís an artistic aspect to these cookers. My Shirley is functional metal art. I just love staring at it. Itís beautiful and makes some wildly good Que!!

Looks like I'm just an old guy in a very small minority here.
A smoker, truck, shovel, boat, or whatever..., are tools as I see them. Each has a purpose. I don't much care how they look if they are built solid and function well.
It ain't the arrow.... It's the indian operating it!
Sorry to interfere with the SF worship.

One Drop
12-17-2017, 11:59 AM
Looks like I'm just an old guy in a very small minority here.
A smoker, truck, shovel, boat, or whatever..., are tools as I see them. Each has a purpose. I don't much care how they look if they are built solid and function well.
It ain't the arrow.... It's the indian operating it!
Sorry to interfere with the SF worship.

No need to apologise, and no need to be critical of those who have different criteria.

I'b be overjoyed with any number of cookers, but there are very few out there that look like doing exactly what I'll need, especially for the price. It's a tool for me to, I use cheap carbon steel knives when they are the right tool, and expensive SS ones when that's the way to go, and I've cooked for armies of people with the crappiest equipment you can imagine, or improvising completely with no equipment at all. No worship here, just respect for good design and craftsmanship.

What's wrong with an skilled Indian with a straight arrow, anyway?

RacrX
12-17-2017, 01:20 PM
Just looked through the Shirley website again and it makes me want one...I'd put a deposit down and then buy a OK Joe from Wally World today to keep me occupied for the next 24 months.

Joe Black
12-17-2017, 01:57 PM
I think that Paul and Tyler turn out a beautiful and well made product and I would love to have one. The exact same statement could be said of Mercedes Benz. I have a well made cooker that I really like and IMO it turns out a really good load of Q. However the cost equates to a Ford.

I would love to have a Mercedes and they are a beautiful, well made car. I just can't afford one. Paul and Tyler have my admiration and they make a great product. They also represent this industry well. I just can't afford one.