PDA

View Full Version : Pellet grills help.

Beentown
12-08-2017, 07:34 PM
I know friends don't let friends pellet but....

I kid, I kid.

A friend is looking for a set and forget type of smoker. From what she describes he would like in a cooker, a pellet grill sounds like the ticket.

So what are some of the best value pellet smokers out there (read, inexpensive)? It seems that the Green Mountain that St. Louis BBQ Store carries and running is a good one.

Any others? How about some of the brands available in local stores?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mcyork28
12-08-2017, 08:04 PM
I bought a Green Mountain Daniel Boon a few weeks ago. Happy with it so far.

Dweverett
12-08-2017, 08:05 PM
Depends a bit on what size he's looking for. GMG is a good option. The Rec Tec mini is very well made but has been discontinued at the moment (I read somewhere that they are bringing out a replacement that has wifi etc. in the next couple months but don't know if that's accurate nor what price point it will hit) Rec Tec just came out with the Bullseye at 399 shipped but there it's too new to have much in the way of feedback. Walmart carries Pit Boss in a couple different variants and I think some folks here have been pretty happy with them. With it being out of season, not sure how hard one might be to find in stock. Would have been nice to pick one up when they had sales at the end of the season too.

I do think pellets are a great choice for someone who wants ease of use. Insulated charcoal designs can be pretty easy too but still not to the same degree.

Fizzerpilot
12-08-2017, 08:14 PM
Pit Boss 700FB is $400... I've had mine for a year... love it.

On sale now at Walmart for $200 here

Beentown
12-08-2017, 08:33 PM
Hmm, none on sale here so it seems. She is trying to buy him a Masterbuilt propane rig.

Any links on a Pit Boss on sale for a good price, let me know please.

TravelingJ
12-08-2017, 09:32 PM
I bought my PitBoss in the spring. I'm having a small issue with it now, but I believe it to be my own fault from mucking with it and trying to upgrade the controller. When I called them for support, I had someone on the phone very quickly, and they were super helpful. I was quite floored with how great the tech support was.

JohnnyVanWinkle
12-09-2017, 05:28 AM
Camp Chef have great features and are an excellent value. If you have a better sense of price range we can help you zero in..

Ron_L
12-09-2017, 08:20 AM
What’s the budget? The Camp Chef looks decent, GMG are good, but a Rectec or Yoder will last a lot longer. I’ve also heard great things about the Firecraft Q450.

EdLo
12-09-2017, 08:30 AM

I kid, I kid.

A friend is looking for a set and forget type of smoker. From what she describes he would like in a cooker, a pellet grill sounds like the ticket.

So what are some of the best value pellet smokers out there (read, inexpensive)? It seems that the Green Mountain that St. Louis BBQ Store carries and running is a good one.

Any others? How about some of the brands available in local stores?

Please tell "your friend" its okay to have a pellet smoker. It is not a set it and forget it type of smoking. It still takes the cook time to master his/her own ability to smoke with a pellet smoker.

But for something cheap at a local store, Pit Boss, Char-Griller, and Traeger are readily available. If you want to spend a little more money then Yodar or Mak Pellet smokers are my recommendations.

Ed

Beentown
12-09-2017, 09:24 AM
Really is for a friend. Between the UDS, Lavern my Shirley, 3 Webers, and the soon to be arriving Assassin 48 I have enough "diversity". My set and forgets are the UDS and Assassin with temp controllers.

Budget is now $400ish since I talked her out of the propane cabinet units.

jasonjax
12-09-2017, 09:27 AM

I kid, I kid.

There's a very real reason why this type of cooker has exploded in popularity over the last few years with MANY manufacturers jumping on the bandwagon. It is a fantastic way to smoke/grill.

I think the anti-pellet sentiment is kind of funny. This is coming from a guy who cooked with every other fuel source, and settled on pellets as my preferred method.

mcyork28
12-09-2017, 09:32 AM
Sportsman's Warehouse still has the Daniel Boone on sale for $399.

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Green-Mountain-Grills-Daniel-Boone-Pellet-Grill-Non-Wifi-Edition/productDetail/Pellet-Grills/prod99999041036/cat130905

If they do, other dealers probably do as well.

Raider18
12-09-2017, 09:53 AM
For that range, I would go Rec Tec Bullseye. They can smoke and grill with familiarity of a Kettle cooker.

Beentown
12-09-2017, 09:55 AM
Sportsman's Warehouse still has the Daniel Boone on sale for $399.

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Green-Mountain-Grills-Daniel-Boone-Pellet-Grill-Non-Wifi-Edition/productDetail/Pellet-Grills/prod99999041036/cat130905

If they do, other dealers probably do as well.I had sent her a link to a local GMG dealer that had them also. A local WM may have the Pit boss 700FB on clearance as well.