PDA

View Full Version : Cold smoke bacon..

mowin
12-08-2017, 05:43 PM
Started curing 60 # of bellies a couple weeks ago.
Cut each belly in half, weighed, converted to grams using diggindogfarm.com calculator.

Cured for 14 days, smoked for a total of 32 hrs with maple. 8 hrs of smoke, a day or two of rest in fridge, repeat till I get the color I like.

Slice and vac sealed for future yummyness.

mowin
12-08-2017, 05:47 PM
Somehow my pis didn't show.

brdbbq
12-08-2017, 06:05 PM
Looks nice. Details ? I started my first belly this week.Hungry for knowledge,

IamMadMan
12-08-2017, 06:35 PM
looks great...

Badjak
12-08-2017, 10:39 PM
Nice,
Cold smoked bacon is the way to go :-D

Lomey
12-08-2017, 11:00 PM
Great looking bacon! It will be no time before I need to do some more.

mowin
12-09-2017, 06:54 AM
Looks nice. Details ? I started my first belly this week.Hungry for knowledge,

I used a dry cure. Cure #1, brown sugar, course sea salt.
Used the calculator I mentioned in my first post to get the proper amounts for the weight of each piece. Into a large Ziploc, and in the fridge. Flipping and rubbing each piece every day. 14day cure time.

I smoked em in my 250 gal reverse flow. Put the bellies in the rib box and used a a-maz-n tube smoker with 100% maple pellets. Placed the tube on the far side of CC. Temp in the rib box never exceeded 60*. 8 hrs of smoke, then a rest in the fridge for a day or two. Repeat till I got the color I like. This batch got 32hrs total smoke over 8 days.

LYU370
12-09-2017, 08:54 AM
Put the bellies in the rib box and used a a-maz-n tube smoker with 100% maple pellets. Placed the tube on the far side of CC. Temp in the rib box never exceeded 60*. 8 hrs of smoke, then a rest in the fridge for a day or two. Repeat till I got the color I like. This batch got 32hrs total smoke over 8 days.
Maybe that was my problem when I cold smoked some bacon the last couple times. I just did 12-16 hours of smoke all the way through without the rest in the fridge in between smokes. Will have to try it this way.

don24
12-09-2017, 10:01 AM
never knew about the smoke, rest, smoke, rest dynamic. what's the thought s on why this works. I guess it allows time for penetration but I don't want to assume anything.

mowin
12-09-2017, 12:22 PM
never knew about the smoke, rest, smoke, rest dynamic. what's the thought s on why this works. I guess it allows time for penetration but I don't want to assume anything.

I feel it gives a smoother, more even smoke. Plus ageing the meat for that week or so uncovered gives a richer flavor.

brdbbq
12-09-2017, 12:57 PM
Think I understand the cure process finally. But flavoring I flander like s dry fish

Beentown
12-09-2017, 02:01 PM
I cold smoke for about 10 hours and done. Everyone has to find there own process though. I use an Amazen pellet tray. Either in the Shirley (big batches) or in my drum.

I do about 50-75 pounds a year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mowin
12-09-2017, 06:50 PM
I cold smoke for about 10 hours and done. Everyone has to find there own process though. I use an Amazen pellet tray. Either in the Shirley (big batches) or in my drum.

I do about 50-75 pounds a year.

Exactly. Everyone will find what works for them. I've hot smoked, cold smoked for as little as 6 hrs, to as much as 48 hrs. Some a continuous smoke. I've settled on the smoke, rest, smoke method, but go by color as much as by time.

mowin
12-10-2017, 10:33 PM
Wife said I nailed it. Tried to get a cooked pic, but my grand nephews were quicker than me.

Titch
12-11-2017, 01:11 AM
Nice effort mate,that bacon looks special.
twice smoked works a real treat, we need to watch our temperatures down here tho

IamMadMan
12-11-2017, 05:02 AM
Started curing 60 # of bellies a couple weeks ago.
Cut each belly in half, weighed, converted to grams using diggindogfarm.com calculator.

The only issue I have with that calculator is that at a quick glance it sort of suggests the multiplier in general for cure #1 is 6.25% to anyone who does not know the composition of cure #1.

I know where he/she got the 6.25% from because that is the amount of sodium nitrite in cure #1 (6.25% sodium nitrite / 93.75% salt). However when it is in the calculations box it appears as if it is the multiplier, just like 2% multiplier for salt, and 1% multiplier for sugar. However the calculator does give the proper result using the correct ratio of 0.25% and does reference the proper 156 PPM. So the end result is absolutely correct.

I know a lot of beginners and intermediates that do not know where the 6.25% comes from, all they know is that when using cure #1, they use .25% as the multiplier.

I assume he just wanted to show that Cure #1 is 6.25% sodium nitrite / 93.75% salt, whereas European counterparts of Peklosol and Pökelsalz contain only 0.60 % of sodium nitrite / 99.40% salt. Cure #1 is not sold in any other formulation in the US. But if the box is locked at 6.25% and it cannot be changed, why not just call it cure #1 and show the multiplier of .25% so any beginner can double check the calculations with any calculator?

But that's just my personal opinion, and it is not my page, so Martin is free to display his calculator in any manner he sees fit. The bottom line is that it works correctly.

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/010041863239/media/83582558178/medium/1512990462011/enhance

brdbbq
12-11-2017, 07:54 AM
Think I will cold smoke in my Weber Kettle. Better temp control then the Traeger.

rexster314
12-11-2017, 11:32 AM
I do no less than 160# of bellies every month. I've found the diggingdog calculator to be spot on, and have settled on a 2% salt, 1% brown sugar setting to be perfect for me. 7 hrs in my Masterbuilts with the AMZNTS gives me plenty of smoke. I let set uncovered in my dedicated fridge for a couple of days, then it's sliced up, separated into 4 pound packages and sealed in the Vacmaster. I'll usually have several pounds left over each month for wife and me. I actually had to cut back on the smoke time last year when I was smoking for 10 hours. Too many complaints

Beentown
12-11-2017, 02:49 PM
I do no less than 160# of bellies every month. I've found the diggingdog calculator to be spot on, and have settled on a 2% salt, 1% brown sugar setting to be perfect for me. 7 hrs in my Masterbuilts with the AMZNTS gives me plenty of smoke. I let set uncovered in my dedicated fridge for a couple of days, then it's sliced up, separated into 4 pound packages and sealed in the Vacmaster. I'll usually have several pounds left over each month for wife and me. I actually had to cut back on the smoke time last year when I was smoking for 10 hours. Too many complaints160 pounds a month? What are you doing with it?