PDA

View Full Version : Making BBQ look “pretty”

kathicooks
12-08-2017, 08:14 AM
We have an office potluck next week and I always smoke some kind of meat for it. Well, for the first time there will be judging based on presentation. Um, yeah. Not my thing. I am tempted to tie a bow to the lid of the crockpot or dish and be done with it but I figured if anyone has an idea of how to make BBQ look festive and pretty, it would be this group.
I am totally open as to what I cook. I had planned on a butt or two, but I can easily be persuaded to do something else.
Any ideas??? Pretty please?

sudsandswine
12-08-2017, 08:38 AM
Garnish it with some holly or something lol

kathicooks
12-08-2017, 08:46 AM
Garnish it with some holly or something lol
That was my first thought. :grin:
Anyone have an idea of something I could do with the food? One of my folks is doing cheeseballs and decorating them like ornaments. Clearly I have no creative ideas.

Piomarine
12-08-2017, 09:02 AM
From Wiki "Ingestion of over 20 berries may be fatal to children. Holly leaves, if eaten, might cause diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, and stomach and intestinal problems. Holly plants might be toxic to pets and livestock."

Probably best to stay away from that one...unless they are plastic (or you hate your co-workers)...then go nuts!

gcs
12-08-2017, 09:05 AM
Or... say the heck with the judging and just serve great BBQ. :grin:

D&D BBQ
12-08-2017, 09:12 AM
Take a cue from some bbq competition entries (Google pictures) and use green garnish to make the meat standout, maybe in a Xmas tray/pan? Of course, presentation will get messed up as soon as serving starts so I hope judging on appearance precedes serving!

And speaking of bbq competitions, I would try posting this on the Competition forum. Lots of creative and winning peeps over there and I bet at least one has some good ideas for you.

Free Mr. Tony
12-08-2017, 09:42 AM
Green flat leaf parsley, and red pepper flakes (or dried red bell pepper) sprinkled over the top would give a slightly Xmas feel.

If it was a foil pan you could line the outside of the pan with kale, pile the pork in the middle, and nestle a few cranberries or something in the kale pieces.

If it's definitely a crockpot, it's a little difficult to get a nice presentation.

Right on Q
12-08-2017, 12:07 PM
People do eat with their eyes first.

I used to fight it but it's reality that presentation matters. Whether in business or in BBQ. My wife and I have run experiments with two dishes brought to pot lucks. One "pretty", the other without any presentation thought. It never fails the "pretty" one has nothing left at the end of the night and the "not-pretty" one has food leftover. We've done this experiment at friends houses countless times with many recipes and it typically works out the same.

Some tips
1.Make each piece of whatever you're serving equally sized (as reasonably possible).
2.A good shine from some bbq sauce always helps. A thin later does well.
3. For brisket or pork butt, a medium coating of Au Jus (fat separated) helps with presentation and taste when you don't want to apply sauce. Half and Half mix of bbq sauce and au jus works well too. (half water, half bbq sauce works well for pork too)
4. Background of greenery helps with proteins. Select a colorful dish to make your meat stand out or put some garnish underneath
5. Arrange the pieces in a symmetrical way. Circles, grid pattern, etc do well for proteins and desserts

Hope this helps

upStomp
12-08-2017, 12:26 PM
Or... say the heck with the judging and just serve great BBQ. :grin:

^^^A world of this! :clap2:

Seriously, though. I'd think it'd be pretty hard to make pulled pork pretty - especially to a layman. Ribs, on the other hand...:pray:

Maybe if you pre-cut them into single or double bones and serve them in a tray sprinkled with scallions or something.

cats49er
12-08-2017, 12:41 PM
Just look at cowgirls threads.That will give you ideas on how to do it. And there are others also that do well.

kathicooks
12-08-2017, 12:49 PM
From Wiki "Ingestion of over 20 berries may be fatal to children. Holly leaves, if eaten, might cause diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, and stomach and intestinal problems. Holly plants might be toxic to pets and livestock."

Probably best to stay away from that one...unless they are plastic (or you hate your co-workers)...then go nuts!

People do eat with their eyes first.

I used to fight it but it's reality that presentation matters. Whether in business or in BBQ. My wife and I have run experiments with two dishes brought to pot lucks. One "pretty", the other without any presentation thought. It never fails the "pretty" one has nothing left at the end of the night and the "not-pretty" one has food leftover. We've done this experiment at friends houses countless times with many recipes and it typically works out the same.

Some tips
1.Make each piece of whatever you're serving equally sized (as reasonably possible).
2.A good shine from some bbq sauce always helps. A thin later does well.
3. For brisket or pork butt, a medium coating of Au Jus (fat separated) helps with presentation and taste when you don't want to apply sauce. Half and Half mix of bbq sauce and au jus works well too. (half water, half bbq sauce works well for pork too)
4. Background of greenery helps with proteins. Select a colorful dish to make your meat stand out or put some garnish underneath
5. Arrange the pieces in a symmetrical way. Circles, grid pattern, etc do well for proteins and desserts

Hope this helps

All great ideas. And I never thought about arranging in patterns. Thank you. Lots of great ideas!

kathicooks
12-08-2017, 12:50 PM
Just look at cowgirls threads.That will give you ideas on how to do it. And there are others also that do well.

Of course. Off to look at Jeanne’s posts.

Bigbears BBQ
12-08-2017, 01:26 PM
I would place the meat in your serving tray get some battery powered Xmas lights to wrap around perimeter of tray and serve some great BBQ (Mike Drop)

Shagdog
12-08-2017, 01:41 PM
Meatballs stuffed with smoked chaddar and wrapped in bacon, glazed in bbq sauce and smoked. you could make them into little xmas ornaments somehow.. Or they could be the cranberries on a string of popcorn? Or ABTs could be little christmas trees?or just a really pretty plate full of individually sliced ribs with ornaments and pine boughs for decor around the outside?

Livermoron
12-08-2017, 01:52 PM
Interesting, when you think that competition bbq has a huge presentation portion.

Maybe put a "wreath" around your display?

Grab a garland (they're cheap right now) and make an arrangement around your pot/plate?

thirdeye
12-08-2017, 01:57 PM
We have an office potluck next week and I always smoke some kind of meat for it. Well, for the first time there will be judging based on presentation. Um, yeah. Not my thing. I am tempted to tie a bow to the lid of the crockpot or dish and be done with it but I figured if anyone has an idea of how to make BBQ look festive and pretty, it would be this group.
I am totally open as to what I cook. I had planned on a butt or two, but I can easily be persuaded to do something else.
Any ideas??? Pretty please?

So, if I'm reading this correctly, this is a general potluck with a variety of entries (not a barbecue potluck), and the various entries will be judged on presentation? For example if you made smoked meat it would be judged right along side a cheesecake, or a pasta salad, or a veggie tray?

Two suggestions come to mind. First is a fancy presentation of pork tenderloin. In this example I marinate and grill tenderloins, chill them, slice them, dip one end in plum sauce, then into toasted sesame seeds. It's a good presentation, somewhat simple, very tender, and can be served warm or chilled. Plated in a wagon wheel design is pretty snazzy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbecue%209/DSC07254b2.jpg

The next suggestion would be Barbecue Sundaes. You know the plastic cups with a layers of sauced pulled pork, mashed potatoes, coleslaw and the like. The possibilities are endless but these things look neat and eat even better.

https://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/0wGAt_GzdDyAWM-x2KoG5g/o.jpg

cholloway
12-08-2017, 01:58 PM
Livermoron is on to something... form the pulled pork into a wreath or a tree and decorate it with moinks (as ornaments) and bacon (as bows).

kathicooks
12-08-2017, 04:48 PM
Livermoron is on to something... form the pulled pork into a wreath or a tree and decorate it with moinks (as ornaments) and bacon (as bows).

Bacon bows. I love it!!!

kathicooks
12-08-2017, 04:49 PM
Third eye, now I am just plain hungry. Those both look beautiful!!!

kathicooks
12-08-2017, 04:51 PM
Mount balls as ornaments, pulled pork wreath, garland, battery powered lights. All amazing ideas. This is great!!!

Moose
12-08-2017, 05:02 PM
You could serve it up in one of these:

http://s3.otherpeoplespixels.com/sites/23475/assets/pvGwFWDiYuHeAZgk.jpg

:thumb:

THoey1963
12-08-2017, 05:50 PM
I would get a nice Christmas plate, and create a wreath of pork around it. Zig zag drizzle some BBQ and Horseradish sauce around it like garland. Maybe a couple cherry tomatoes around it for ornaments, especially if you can get those fancy ones that come in different colors. Maybe a little greenage underneath for color.

Then, put the rest of it in the crockpot to keep warm...

Sid Post
12-08-2017, 06:05 PM
For the win!

The next suggestion would be Barbecue Sundaes. You know the plastic cups with a layers of sauced pulled pork, mashed potatoes, coleslaw and the like. The possibilities are endless but these things look neat and eat even better.

https://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/0wGAt_GzdDyAWM-x2KoG5g/o.jpg

:hail:

thirdeye
12-09-2017, 08:51 AM
Third eye, now I am just plain hungry. Those both look beautiful!!!

Thanks for the kind words. The sundae photo was a stock online photo, (there are many variations and ideas out there), but I've had these many times as people's choice entries at KCBS competitions. Two of my favorites had a burnt end as the topper, another had a bacon garnish for the topper. I think garlic mashed potatoes would be wonderful.

The tenderloin write-up can be found HERE (http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1998/03/plum-pork.html), and basically the meat is marinated, cooked and glazed, then sliced and dipped in the plum sauce & seeds. Here is what it looks like following glazing:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbecue%209/DSC07230a.jpg