PDA

View Full Version : HELP! IQ120 Won't Work And Smoker NOT Coming To temp

Philly-QueMaster
12-08-2017, 06:52 AM
I need some help from my Bretheren.

I tried up my Assassin 32 this morning or at least tried too.....

But my IQ120 Won't power up and now the pit isnt getting up to temp.

I dumped a full list chimney of calls in to get it started and have the ball valve wide open and it's not getting hot.

This is only my 4th cook on the Assassin.

I've never cooked without the IQ120 before so I'm not sure how hot the pit can get without a fan.

Any suggestions?

Anyone know where I can get a replacement IQ120 locally? Do They sell them in stores?

I guess worst case I can fire up the Weber Smokey Mountain and do a hot and fast brisket on there.

sudsandswine
12-08-2017, 07:01 AM
Try a different power supply first if you can find one - the power supply on my iq110 randomly stopped working one day. I found one for some other device that matched the plug size and voltage and it worked fine. Then i ordered a permanent one off amazon.

Philly-QueMaster
12-08-2017, 07:03 AM
Yeah I'm gonna have to see if I have any other power supplies. Thanks!

Philly-QueMaster
12-08-2017, 07:11 AM
That worked you're a genius! Back in business just an hour behind schedule. Lol

Thanks!

sudsandswine
12-08-2017, 07:16 AM
Nice!

SmittyJonz
12-08-2017, 10:23 AM
One should learn to run their Pit/cooker without electronics Before ever running electronics......much like anyone who drives should know how to change a flat....... But then I know Dorks who call a tow truck when they get a flat :roll:

mstewart39
12-08-2017, 10:29 AM
One should learn to run their Pit/cooker without electronics Before ever running electronics......much like anyone who drives should know how to change a flat....... But then I know Dorks who call a tow truck when they get a flat :roll:

I can change a tire. I have changed a tire. But now that I have AAA, I can just sit in my car playing Clash of Clans on my phone while I wait for AAA. That's not so bad, right?

(I agree that it's better to be comfortable running the smoker without any electronics. Plus it's more fun!)

pjtexas1
12-08-2017, 01:25 PM
i know my little gravity feed will take 45-60 minutes to get up to temp on its own. i cannot imagine how long the big Assassin would take. i have a fan that i strap to the intake that can get me up to temp in 5 minutes if i am in a hurry but most of the time i just let it go on it's own while i prep the meat. glad you found a spare power supply to get you going.

RacrX
12-08-2017, 03:06 PM
I've heard the bigger Assasins really don't operate well without a fan.

SmittyJonz
12-08-2017, 03:45 PM
I've heard the bigger Assasins really don't operate well without a fan.

That SUCKS. So No cooking when powers out or onsite that has no electricity.?

Czarbecue
12-08-2017, 04:00 PM
I like my cookers to be self contained... but have a gasser for the lazy cooks.

jasonjax
12-08-2017, 04:12 PM
My smoker simply doesn't work without electricity.

I think having technology assist in your cooking is a non-issue, but you have to understand technology can forsake you and have a backup plan or else be prepared not to be able to cook.

In this case there was a happy ending thanks to the Brethren which happens often!

THoey1963
12-08-2017, 05:56 PM
I agree that knowing how the pit works with and without the electronics is important. My biggest concern is why a couple thousand $$ pit can't come up to temp. Are you sure you had the exhaust opened?

grilla
12-08-2017, 07:45 PM
They don't come up to temp very well because they are designed to be a for ed air cooker. The way they work doesn't allow for a good draft with out a forced air temp control

Cook
12-09-2017, 07:09 AM
They don't come up to temp very well because they are designed to be a for ed air cooker. The way they work doesn't allow for a good draft with out a forced air temp control

Please correct me if this is wrong...but on their website the PIDs are an option. They can be purchased without the fan. Is that correct?

If the above is true, I also don't understand why they don't work w/o the fan. That would be one crummy design.

Smoking Piney
12-09-2017, 07:20 AM
I have run my Assassin 24 without the IQ120 just to see if it will work. It does, but it takes a while to get to temperature. Leaving the fire box door open increases the draft and speeds it along, and you control the heat with the ball valve once you're in the ball park of the temp you want.

The Assassins DO work without the fan. It's just more work to get to temp and control it.