PDA

View Full Version : Using a WSM on a synthetic deck?

Swine Spectator
12-08-2017, 05:37 AM
Safety Q:

I recently moved into a new house. The kitchen is on the second floor and there is a large synthetic wood deck off of the kitchen. It would be super-convenient to have my kettle and WSM on the deck.

I am confident that the kettle is not on issue, but am concerned about the heat from the WSM so close to the deck. I know it has the heat shield, but I was wondering if any brethren had experience here.

Is it safe to use the WSM on the deck or should I get some tile or a grill mat to protect it? Or should I just burn some extra calories running up and down the stairs?

David

Bigbass300
12-08-2017, 06:04 AM
Set it up on a pallet or something.....oil stain that stuff?

WeberWho
12-08-2017, 06:32 AM
The synthetic wood would probably help reduce any potential fire. I would be concerned about any sparks/embers that could be blown elsewhere or wedged into something on or near the house.

When I was younger I heard a loud pounding on my parents front door around 2am with someone yelling to call 911. It was my parents next door neighbor saying that his house was on fire. He was fortunate to get his family out but his house ended up burning down to the studs. The cause of the fire was an ember getting lodged between the deck boards. It took 5-6 hours before the deck/house to catch fire. Long after they went to bed.

It's something I'll never forget. I only grill in my front driveway. That also isn't 100% safe but I feel a little better than on my deck. The deck is way more convenient but what's a extra 20-30 seconds to help minimize the risk for you and others in the house.

ElQueTraz
12-08-2017, 07:08 AM
Safety Q:

I recently moved into a new house. The kitchen is on the second floor and there is a large synthetic wood deck off of the kitchen. It would be super-convenient to have my kettle and WSM on the deck.

I am confident that the kettle is not on issue, but am concerned about the heat from the WSM so close to the deck. I know it has the heat shield, but I was wondering if any brethren had experience here.

Is it safe to use the WSM on the deck or should I get some tile or a grill mat to protect it? Or should I just burn some extra calories running up and down the stairs?

David

I've been using my WSM on my Trex type deck, which is basically referred to as a composite deck, for years. Never an issue. Many overnight cooks as well. Sometimes I would put a rock on a piece of foil under each dial vent to catch any hot ash. The WSM has that silver heat shield on the bottom, works pretty well.

Enjoy!

gcs
12-08-2017, 09:15 AM
Not saying what you should do.. but have used mine on a wood deck and had no problems, however I now use it on a old road sign held up by ceramic tiles, just in case, BUT, I have a hard time seeing how you'd get an errant spark out of a WSM unless your cleaning it out before the coals are dead.
BTW, I never felt any significant heat below the factory heat shield.

bonz50
12-08-2017, 09:21 AM
I'd put down one of those grill mats, some thing like this

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Grill-Pad-Black-Round/dp/B003GUPJ9S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1512746440&sr=8-4&keywords=grill+pad+for+deck

just in case. that synthetic deck material is pricey stuff and I wouldn't want to chance it

jasonjax
12-08-2017, 09:24 AM
I'd put down one of those grill mats, some thing like this

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Grill-Pad-Black-Round/dp/B003GUPJ9S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1512746440&sr=8-4&keywords=grill+pad+for+deck

just in case. that synthetic deck material is pricey stuff and I wouldn't want to chance it

+1 just a little added protection to be on the safe side

Dmakkk
12-08-2017, 09:25 AM
I live on the second story of a residential house and had my wsm for 3 yrs. Never had and issue. I just put a sheet pan underneath to act as a heat shield and catch any embers when pouring the chimney starter. i also have a gasser that is great to use for the chimney starter,prepping food and taking food off the wsm as well.

Czarbecue
12-08-2017, 09:25 AM
The cooker by itself is safe on most any surface. However the clumsiness of the cook is also a factor.

robert-r
12-08-2017, 10:19 AM
Seems to me you would be most at risk if/when using a chimney - that's when things like sparks/coals "escape" & can go unnoticed.

tenpenny_05
12-08-2017, 10:22 AM
Like those above said, I wouldn't be worried about the heat transfer from the bottom of the cooker. I'd be more worried about clumsiness. If you're using a chimney to light your kettle or your smoker there are a lot of chances for embers dropping out/getting loose even if you are being careful. I have a few burnt spots in my deck that give me an uneasy feeling that I could have burned my house down.
I keep my kamado on my deck now where there is no transfer of lit coals. The webers stay in the driveway.

Steve S
12-08-2017, 10:49 AM
I put my WSM on my wood deck for the winter and have cooked on it several times that way. The heat shield does a good job of keeping the heat off the wood. I used my nearby gas grill to hold the chimney when its hot. It's probably safer to have some kind of heat resistant mat under it for spills and/or embers though. I set mine up in front of the slider so I can keep an eye on it, and wouldnt leave it unattended, overnight or otherwise.

SocoQ
12-08-2017, 11:17 AM
Something I find useful is a chunk of cement siding. I use a piece about 2x3 under the wsm to protect from sparks when loading with a chimney. Also, I use a piece on top of cement blocks for lighting the chimney.

One Drop
12-08-2017, 11:42 AM
I have ceramic tiles under mine on my wooden deck. No problems with radiant heat, but you never know about sparks, embers escaping a chimney, etc. etc. as mentioned.

Better safe than sorry is my motto.

upStomp
12-08-2017, 12:00 PM
I'm curious about this as well. I've been using my WSM on a wood deck for a long time, and haven't had any issues with the heat from the cooker damaging the wood, but I do have an occasional flyer from the charcoal chimney when dumping hot coals in my grill or smoker - which can cause some cratering. Next year we're planning to replace the deck surface with composite.

I'm thinking I'll just lay down some rubber grill mats and top them with concrete tiles over the entire area.

ModelMaker
12-09-2017, 08:46 AM
I put my thumb on a board, closed my eyes and swung my hammer on the board.
I didn't hit my thumb so it must be OK to do it from now on.
Ed

kls44
12-09-2017, 10:20 AM
I have cooked on a wood deck for years. I always keep the bottom vents closed until I have the coals lit and spread out.

Smoking Piney
12-09-2017, 03:00 PM
Beware of cooking on a wood deck...............

I did it for years with a kettle with no problems. One night, my wife woke me up saying that the deck was burning, and it was.

An ember got loose between the deck boards and it was burning the deck wood and the frame. I put it out with a garden hose and spent another couple of hours making sure it was out.

I could have burnt my house down if my wife would not have noticed the glow - serious business.

I no longer cook on my deck.

Monkey Uncle
12-09-2017, 04:26 PM
I used to use my COS on my wood deck with no protection. When I dumped lump charcoal from my chimney into the firebox, a few embers inevitably would fall on the deck. I used tongs to pick them up and throw them in the firebox. One day, the day after a cook, I noticed a crater about 1 1/4" in diameter where a coal had gotten lodged between two deck boards. I just got lucky that it went out instead of burning the house down. I now put a 4' x 4' piece of sheet metal under the firebox to catch those errant embers.

Dweverett
12-09-2017, 06:52 PM
I put my thumb on a board, closed my eyes and swung my hammer on the board.
I didn't hit my thumb so it must be OK to do it from now on.
Ed

:becky:

Joking aside, you all are making me reconsider using the kettle on the deck. I've been comfortable with the gasser and Rectec. Always a potential risk but seems pretty unlikely- absent a grease fire at least.

Never worried about the KJ either. With the kettle though, I do light it with a chimney and sparks are a possibility. Probably should move that one somewhere else.

TRRH
12-11-2017, 09:46 AM
I recommend you DONT do it. I tried it for a while...WSM warped and partially melted the cheap plastic pad I used to catch any grease etc...didn’t think it would get that hot. Also, when transferring chimney to WSM on another occasion I later found a ember smouldering in my deck boards. Maybe a good burn proof pad and electric starter to start charcoal inside WSM Would work.

smoke ninja
12-11-2017, 10:17 AM
I wouldn't trust it. I've seen my wsm tip over in wind storms. If im running a cooker unattended its on a concrete patio a fair distance from my house.