PDA

View Full Version : Weber Genesis II E-210 vs Weber Q 3200

Ware
12-06-2017, 03:42 PM
I have a Yoder YS640 Comp Cart, but I'm interested in picking up a small gas grill for weeknights. Family size is four (me, wife, 3yo daughter and another daughter on the way) and it will be used exclusively for main course/proteins. I'm wanting something relatively compact and I'm curious if there would be any reason to choose the Q 3200 (https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/weber-q-3200-gas-grill) over the Genesis II E-210 (https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/genesis-ii-e-210-gas-grill). They seem to be about the same size.

https://production-weber-com.imgix.net/pim/57060001B_1800x1800330311.png?fit=clip&w=750&h=750 https://production-weber-com.imgix.net/pim/60010001A_1800x1800330311.png?fit=clip&w=750&h=750

Happy Hapgood
12-06-2017, 07:20 PM
I don't thing they are the same size. Look at the lid height. More square inch cooking area on the 210. My Daughter has one and it is perfect for the requirement you state. I had a Q and it is actually much smaller as far as usable space. Good Luck! :thumb:

kls44
12-06-2017, 07:48 PM
I have a Q300, earlier model of the 3200, at 393sq.in. grilling area is larger. The drawback is the lid height. I use it almost as much as my performer. I added a warming rack from a piece of expanded metal I had.

mcyork28
12-06-2017, 10:17 PM
I would absolutely go with the Genesis. I had an older Q, I think 300. Actually used it quite a bit. I neglected to clean it out and a fire started under the grates. I wasn't real worried about it, figured it would go out in a few minutes. It actually got so hot the plastic melted where the grill attaches to the cart completely ruining the whole grill.

That was my fault but I don't think I would buy another grill that had major parts of the frame made out of a meltable material.

RemoGaggi
12-06-2017, 11:52 PM
I had the older version of that "Q" model and I used it a lot. But, it does have a shallow lid and the cast iron is a PITA to clean after awhile. Additionally, it vents out the sides and you will soon notice the shelves and the sides keep getting grimy. I've had an assortment of Weber's older Genesis over the years as well and I would go that route for more versatility and and you can also add a rotisserie attachment.

Fishwater2002
12-07-2017, 05:56 AM
Definitely go for the Genesis, the burner set up is better for high heat searing. I have a Q220 for camping & I pretty much hate it. The U shaped burner doesn't allow you to have different heat zones & it barely hits 400 degree's. I've replaced the burner since it clogged within the first two years of seasonal camping use when I did a marinated chicken thigh cook once & the burner got plugged with fat that never burned off, the new burner will barely crack 425 on a good day. Also, a friend of mine has the Q2200 for camping with the same performance so it isn't just my grill. Although I have to say that it's built well with cast aluminum lid, cast iron grate & solid handles making it easy to transport but the performance is not what I expected from a Weber product. I also own the older Genesis 3 burner & it's built like a real Weber, no problems with the burners, plenty of adjustability & heat output. It got blown off the deck last month during a hurricane & while I haven't cooked on it yet I used the opportunity to take it apart to clean it & inspect it, besides the bent side shelf it appears to have no damage. Now that's what I expect from my Webers!

Ripley
12-07-2017, 06:31 AM
Having an E310 and a 320,go with the genesis It is a quality piece.

Jrogers84
12-07-2017, 07:38 AM
I have the older Q and older genesis....go with the genesis. The Q is portable which is cool and serves a purpose but its not the machine the genesis is

Mikhail
12-07-2017, 08:12 AM
Thanks, the info here is is helpful to me. I cooked on my FILs Q and really liked it. But if I pull the trigger on a new gas grill I'll go with the more traditional Weber unit. Problem is my $200, 10 year old BroilMate just keeps chugging along. Not bad since I don't even cover it.

Jrogers84
12-07-2017, 08:48 AM
Thanks, the info here is is helpful to me. I cooked on my FILs Q and really liked it. But if I pull the trigger on a new gas grill I'll go with the more traditional Weber unit. Problem is my $200, 10 year old BroilMate just keeps chugging along. Not bad since I don't even cover it.

Thats a good problem to have :) You can invest in cool ways to cook instead of replacing the stuff you have now!

I dont know if youve owned a Weber but the cool thing about their gas grills is the parts are all easy to find, cheap, and replaceable. If I were you and wanted to upgrade I would find an old genesis on CL and replace the guts. I grabbed one for $20 and had a new grill for about 60. Only thing that is kinda expensive is the grates

bonz50
12-07-2017, 09:59 AM
my dad has a Q from about 3-4yrs ago (220 maybe?). I don't think it cooks as good as his 25yr old "vintage" Genesis 1000. yes the Q is a bit smaller in terms of sq inches but it didn't heat up as quickly and the Q had a few more 'hot spots' than the Gene. given a choice I'm taking the spirit over the Q every time unless portability is a concern.

Steve S
12-07-2017, 10:39 AM
I replaced my 1999 vintage Weber with a new Genesis a couple of years ago. Solid as a rock and much more even grate temperatures than the older model. I do see decent used Weber gassers on CL all the time as well.

Ware
12-11-2017, 01:26 PM
Thanks for all the great feedback. I went ahead and ordered the Genesis II E-210. It was tough to resist the temptation to step up to the E-310 or E-410, but I really think this one will do everything we need it to do, and will take up less space on the patio. :thumb: