PDA

View Full Version : To wrap or not to wrap? (Chuck Roast and Pork Butt)

mdbannister
12-05-2017, 08:53 AM
Hey guys, this is my first post on here. I'm still new to smoking. I have done a few briskets and ribs on the gas grill, but I just got a Masterbuilt electric smoker (long story, but in my apartment community, we're not allowed to use wood/charcoal anywhere, and the only place gas is allowed is on the grills provided to the community...so electric is as good as I can go).

Anyhow, I'm trying my MES for the first time, and doing a chuck roast and a pork butt. I'm planning to take both to 205 degrees, but I'm not sure if I should wrap at any point along the way. I don't wrap my brisket and I like the way it turns out, but it seems a lot of people are wrapping the chuck and butt (at least from what I've seen online). Thoughts?

gtr
12-05-2017, 09:54 AM
I'll wrap if I think the bark is getting too barky i.e. burnt looking. Otherwise, if it doesn't seem necessary, I'll skip it. Sometimes if I need to get done a little more quickly I'll wrap as well. I've had better results from wrapping beef cuts, so I wrap briskets, chucks, short ribs pretty much every time.

keeperofsecrets
12-05-2017, 10:47 AM
I wrap all three. I haven't always done it, mind you. Over time, I have accepted it as useful. I think the advantages for all three are the same: Moist - but not wet - heat, still smoky (if you use butcher paper), and a quicker overall cook time.

HouseDoc
12-05-2017, 11:22 AM
I find wrapping after internal temp of 165+ helps it cook a tad faster without drying it out.

OklaDustDevil
12-05-2017, 12:06 PM
I've never wrapped briskets or pork butts. Never smoked a roast, so I can't speak to that, but if I was to try one I wouldn't wrap it.

jasonjax
12-05-2017, 02:40 PM
WRAP!

If you're taking both of the roasts to pull temperature, having the aus jus from both of them to reconstitute into the meat after you pull it is hugely beneficial IMHO. HUGELY.

mdbannister
12-05-2017, 05:03 PM
Thanks guys! I ended up wrapping the chuck after about 6 hours (around 170) as it seemed it was drying out a bit. Pork seems to be doing well unwrapped, so I left it alone. They're both still on the grill at the moment.