PDA

View Full Version : flank steak grilling

DRMSMKER
12-05-2017, 08:44 AM
Going to grill a flank steak tonight on a weber kettle (Thanks Jason TQ!)
Plan is to grill hot so about 2 mins on each side over hot hot coals.
My question is, do i need to cook it on the indirect side covered after or do you just cook hot, rest, and cut?
When researching online lots of people do it either way.
Opinions?

SirPorkaLot
12-05-2017, 08:50 AM
Going to grill a flank steak tonight on a weber kettle (Thanks Jason TQ!)

Plan is to grill hot so about 2 mins on each side over hot hot coals.

My question is, do i need to cook it on the indirect side covered after or do you just cook hot, rest, and cut?

When researching online lots of people do it either way.

Opinions?

I cook it hot, rest and cut.

Flank wonít take but a few minutes over the hot coals

DRMSMKER
12-05-2017, 09:04 AM
I cook it hot, rest and cut.

Flank wonít take but a few minutes over the hot coals

So those who do indirect heat after, are they just over cooking or are they cooking over the coals less time.

Is it like saying cooking over hot coals 2 mins/ side then indirect for 2-3 mins will get to the same internal temp cooking hot over coals for 3-4 mins per side?

Is that kinda the school of thought with these 2 methods. Will longer high heat give a more red center with more gray moving towards the surface and less high heat and more indirect gives more a uniform red/pink thought the entire center with just an outside of grayish ring?

SirPorkaLot
12-05-2017, 09:36 AM
A flank steak is not very thick. You could reverse sear it (cook indirect and then put over coals), but I just donít see the benefit on a cut like a flank steak

DRMSMKER
12-05-2017, 09:50 AM
A flank steak is not very thick. You could reverse sear it (cook indirect and then put over coals), but I just donít see the benefit on a cut like a flank steak

I did tink the whole indirect cooking aspect was a lot of unnecessary steps for what I thought was kind of a thin piece of meat. That settles it, hot for a few mins per side, then rest and cut. Thanks!

Lomey
12-05-2017, 02:06 PM
I grill it hot, rest, cut. Good luck with the cook!

bonz50
12-05-2017, 02:15 PM
that's how I do it also. good stuff

jasonjax
12-05-2017, 02:38 PM
Dittos... for that particular cut hot n fast direct heat, let her rest, and slice AGAINST the grain. I like to slice on a bias too. I think it may make it a bit more tender, but I'm probably biased. (get it)

SirPorkaLot
12-05-2017, 02:42 PM
I like to slice on a bias too. I think it may make it a bit more tender, but I'm probably biased. (get it)

I can see your angle

aerotech11
12-05-2017, 05:35 PM

+1. Thin cut takes only a few minutes.

Leftwngr
12-05-2017, 05:41 PM
I'd add is that I grill super hot and try to get as much sear as possible.

also, depending on your cut, some flanks are thicker on one end than the other, so I'll split them before cooking as one often takes a few ticks longer than the other.

FTTH
12-05-2017, 06:00 PM
Cold grate method over high heat coals about a minute and a half before spinning and flipping four times

BeerBQ
12-05-2017, 07:02 PM
I usually reverse sear steaks. I think the biggest factor is how done you want it. I cook for people that don’t like any pink in their steak. The best way I’ve found to get that is a reverse sear.
If that isn’t an issue I’d go for the normal sear.

mcyork28
12-05-2017, 08:18 PM
I can see your angle

To a certain degree.

DRMSMKER
12-06-2017, 09:06 AM
So i lit my coals but don't think they got super super hot. Internal grate temp with lid on got to 500 so my digital probe said but remove the lid and have probe over coals, temp drops. Cooked anyways. About 4 mins on each side and then about 2-3 mins covered on the indirect heat side (internal temp to 130) then rested 10 mins and cut against grain. Pics of results. Turned out pretty good I think. Hope the pics work. White stuff in second pic is sour cream from potato that was on my fork.
http://i68.tinypic.com/2mot6c4.jpg
http://i68.tinypic.com/29xuts4.jpg

Jrogers84
12-06-2017, 10:32 AM
looks like you know how to cook a steak!

jasonjax
12-06-2017, 12:03 PM
Looks awesome. You might have been able to develop a little more crust going a little longer direct and skipping the indirect, but looks great.

angryelfFan
12-06-2017, 12:54 PM
Lump charcoal. Toss it DIRECTLY onto the coals for a minute or so, flip it for a minute or so and rest it. Done.