PDA

View Full Version : Do I need high temp cheese for summer sausages?

blazinfire
12-05-2017, 01:34 AM
I don't have access to high temp cheese and now that I've purchased seasonings, meat I decided I might want to do a Jalapeno and cheese summer sausage batch.

I know high temp cheese is better if your making bratwursts and sausages your gonna cook at a high temp.. but do I need High temp for cooking at 160 degree's? I can make a 2 hour round trip to pick up high temp cheese if I really need it but to save on time and money if I can get by with just using normal cheese without worry since I'll be cooking at low temps I'll go to walmart instead

JDM46
12-05-2017, 02:36 AM
I have used both regular and high temp.
Haven't had any problems with either one.
When using regular cheese, I freeze the chubs prior to vac sealing.
Seems that the cheese holds up better. JMO

worktogthr
12-05-2017, 07:08 AM
I find that as long as the cheese is a harder cheese (sharp cheddar, provolone, etc.) the regular cheese holds up fine. Especially since the end product is eaten cold in the case of summer sausage, you will be more than fine!

Lomey
12-05-2017, 07:12 AM
I've never used high temp cheese and never had a problem.

blazinfire
12-05-2017, 07:42 AM
I have used both regular and high temp.
Haven't had any problems with either one.
When using regular cheese, I freeze the chubs prior to vac sealing.
Seems that the cheese holds up better. JMO

I find that as long as the cheese is a harder cheese (sharp cheddar, provolone, etc.) the regular cheese holds up fine. Especially since the end product is eaten cold in the case of summer sausage, you will be more than fine!

I've never used high temp cheese and never had a problem.

Nice..... I was kinda dreading the 2 hr round trip to the only place I know of that would have High temp cheese. I was pretty sure something like summer sausages would be fine with regular cheese. Hell I even used regular cheese in bratwursts and had decent results.

Joshw
12-05-2017, 10:35 AM
I personally don't like the flavor of the High temp cheeses, I have tried. You probably won't get as pretty of a slice with regular cheese, but the flavor will be better.

blazinfire
12-05-2017, 10:54 AM
I personally don't like the flavor of the High temp cheeses, I have tried. You probably won't get as pretty of a slice with regular cheese, but the flavor will be better.

I have read and heard other people discuss that some doesn't like the flavor of high temp cheese. I haven't ate it and looks like I won't be this time around either.

I'll probably do sharp cheddar and Jalapeno's in a small batch of the summer sausages. Any clue as to how many Jalapeno's I should use in a 5lb batch? My plans are just to wing it but if I could get a good estimate asking here might as well

JDM46
12-05-2017, 10:59 AM
I go with 1 large per pound.
Seeds and white removed.

Joshw
12-05-2017, 07:07 PM
I would hate to give advice on that. Everyone has a different heat level that they like. You first need to decide how hot you want it, then guess on how many it will take to get there. Maybe consider, what you would put in chili, and decide from there. I would recommend trying your peppers first. Peppers can vary greatly in heat. I made the mistake a while back of using Habaneros, and just assuming the would be hot. They turned out to be very mild. Luckily it didn't ruin the dish, but didn't give me the results I was wanting. I have had very mild jalapenos and very hot ones. The variety that is grown, the growing conditions, and even the age will affect heat levels. If you are wanting a recipe you can repeat over and over, the best thing to do, is get the dried jalapenos, that are labeled with a specific Scoville unit.

blazinfire
12-05-2017, 08:54 PM
I would hate to give advice on that. Everyone has a different heat level that they like. You first need to decide how hot you want it, then guess on how many it will take to get there. Maybe consider, what you would put in chili, and decide from there. I would recommend trying your peppers first. Peppers can vary greatly in heat. I made the mistake a while back of using Habaneros, and just assuming the would be hot. They turned out to be very mild. Luckily it didn't ruin the dish, but didn't give me the results I was wanting. I have had very mild jalapenos and very hot ones. The variety that is grown, the growing conditions, and even the age will affect heat levels. If you are wanting a recipe you can repeat over and over, the best thing to do, is get the dried jalapenos, that are labeled with a specific Scoville unit.

I'm just gonna wing it.. I'm gonna start with the suggested 1 large pepper per pound. I just want a little bite to it.