PDA

View Full Version : Purchased a Flat Fire Box Rack for my Shirley

Lobsterbake
12-04-2017, 09:25 PM
Hello,

I posted a few months back that I was interested in getting a flat rack for my firebox vs the fire basket for ease of cleaning. I decided to get one made like LSG uses and I got it today and I am very happy with how it turned out. It will have awesome air flow and be very easy to clean out and make getting pit shut down and in garage and everything cleaned up faster in my opinion. I like having both options.

I keep my firebox immaculate and the rack will make cleaning very easy.

Thanks,

Mark

SmittyJonz
12-04-2017, 09:38 PM
:thumb:

JokerBroker
12-04-2017, 09:58 PM
That looks great! Enjoy!:rockon:

BBQ Freak
12-04-2017, 10:06 PM
just curious how it is easier to clean out ? I love the thickness but like how the sides on the original design keeps heat off the sides of the fire box too and will be following how it works out .

JokerBroker
12-04-2017, 10:14 PM
With these bigger fireboxes, there is no need to have any logs right up against the sidewalls. I have measured the temperature of the firebox walls with an IR thermometer on my LSG and they generally don't get above 350 when my cook chamber is at 275.

Lobsterbake
12-05-2017, 11:05 AM
Hi Jeff,

The Shirley has the mesh inside the basket and ash can get trapped in there I have found - on the flat rack the ash should fall through the slats and if not - can be swept into the ash pan - pull out rack and ash pan and clean. I will then vacuum or blow out the FB, put a light coat of Pam and be ready for next time.

Paul and Tyler might want to think about using - laser cut, no welding which saves time and money. It seems like the basket would take a lot of time to make - could have the grates cut in bulk. Just a thought.

Mark

Czarbecue
12-05-2017, 11:41 AM
Do you use a charcoal bed for your fire or do you do purely sticks?

Lobsterbake
12-05-2017, 02:59 PM
I have a ton of lump - like over 1000 lbs that I will be using. The previous times I have used just Kingsford Professional as it seems to put off less nasty smoke when first starting. I think the lump will work better with the new grate - the basket would probably be better with charcoal.

Mark

Notorious Q.U.E.
12-05-2017, 03:14 PM
Sleek!! How about a picture of a raging fire lit atop that bad boy?!?

BBQ Freak
12-05-2017, 03:30 PM
Hi Jeff,

The Shirley has the mesh inside the basket and ash can get trapped in there I have found - on the flat rack the ash should fall through the slats and if not - can be swept into the ash pan - pull out rack and ash pan and clean. I will then vacuum or blow out the FB, put a light coat of Pam and be ready for next time.

Paul and Tyler might want to think about using - laser cut, no welding which saves time and money. It seems like the basket would take a lot of time to make - could have the grates cut in bulk. Just a thought.

Mark

I am a fan of the mesh because it holds the coals and does not fall through and the slots look like the coals would fall through easier or is not the case ?

Springram
12-05-2017, 06:14 PM
I love my LSG 1/2 inch fire grate in my firebox. Perhaps a 34 lifetimes grate but it is heavy for sure. Easy clean up but I have no idea how that compares to the Shirley basket. Can't imagine anything being wrong with anything Shirley builds.

All of the top end smoker builders are going to work well for a long, long time. Maybe even longer than that! :-D

Rockinar
12-05-2017, 06:52 PM
I have the standard grate in my Klose. I'll probably build a small basket for it. It requires such a small fire to run, I believe it would be easier if the coal bed was contained in a small basket versus falling through the cracks and spilling out everywhere. Also if I start to lose the coal bed I can just toss pieces of lump in the basket which does not work without one.

pjtexas1
12-05-2017, 07:19 PM
I'm digging the sides on the new Shirley baskets. I'm guessing it keeps more of the ash in the ash pan and more heat off the sides of the fb. With a standard fb that is where most of the paint burns off. I agree that ash gets in the expanded grates but I just flip it upside down and it's out. Ask me again in a decade when I'm replacing my expanded metal grates. :heh:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Lobsterbake
12-19-2017, 04:47 PM
I had a 3/4 #9 piece of expanded metal cut to lay on top of grate - best of both worlds in my opinion. I think it will work great.

Lobsterbake
12-19-2017, 05:52 PM
I had a piece of 3/4 #9 custom cut and think it will work awesome with the grate for coal base and be super easy to clean. OCD never sleeps like my brother rust 🤪. I am not sure why image is turned.

Notorious Q.U.E.
12-19-2017, 06:11 PM
What’s in store for second Shirley ?!?

Lobsterbake
12-19-2017, 06:32 PM
I am not sure yet - happy to be in line and have a Shirley in hand.

Notorious Q.U.E.
12-19-2017, 07:34 PM
Nice!! Maybe a 30 inch tandem axle is what’s in order! Please keep us posted

Czarbecue
12-19-2017, 08:21 PM
I had a 3/4 #9 piece of expanded metal cut to lay on top of grate - best of both worlds in my opinion. I think it will work great.

Aren't you circling back to one of the original issues with ashes and pieces stuck in the expanded metal?

Demosthenes
12-19-2017, 08:49 PM
:roll:^^^^ Yeah, I kinda thought the same thing.

Lobsterbake
12-19-2017, 11:09 PM
Much easier - pull expanded metal off grate - sweep off grate into ash pan - empty ash pan. Easy peasy 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪