PDA

View Full Version : UDS ash cleaning

DRMSMKER
12-04-2017, 04:06 PM
I normally just use a scoop i made with a cup and stick and just scoop out what i can. Yesterday i emptied it all out by dumping and realized there is some hard ash built up. Got my fireplace shovel and chiseled it up to find some surface rust spots under the built up hard ash..

My question is: on my next cook, after i'm done, and remove the fire basket while still warm, will all that hard ash at the bottom loosen up so i can pretty much dump all the ash out so it will just be bare metal again.. and after that do i just put a layer of vegi oil on the bottom to keep from rusting while it waits for the next cook? Once i get it cleaned, i plan to use a pan to catch ash to help with the problem and clean after each cook to not have this probably again... i hope.

Bubblehead
12-04-2017, 04:19 PM
If you set the catcher directly on the bottom of the drum, it will rust. I like to use a few nuts/bolts to keep the catcher off the bottom of the drum. Having a catcher nice because you can check for corrosion when you empty it.

D&D BBQ
12-04-2017, 05:47 PM
What Bubblehead said and I like to layer some Floor Dry pellets from Auto Zone on the bottom which soak up all the grease for a few cooks (and are fireproof) and easy to clean up with a dedicated pooper scooper from Amazon.

Nuco59
12-04-2017, 05:52 PM
"a dedicated pooper scooper "

I should hope so. I'm all about saving a dollar- but there are some things you just don't do.

mikemci
12-04-2017, 06:04 PM
Get a pizza pan to put under.your charcoal basket. Just dump out the ash and scrape out the grease.

rob g
12-04-2017, 06:06 PM
I have 3 bolts on the bottom of my fire basket to act as legs. I ran them thru a pizza pan with a nut on the bottom of each leg to hold the pan on. When I lift the basket out all the ash collects on the pan and comes with it. Just keep the pizza pan as close to the bottom as possible so it doesn't interfere with the air flow to the fire basket.

DRMSMKER
12-04-2017, 07:37 PM
Will my next cook turn all that caked on hard ash in the bottom into dust or will I have to scrape all that off bc I don't eat it to rust underneath

mcyork28
12-04-2017, 07:47 PM
It's probably a mix of ash and grease/drippings.

Will my next cook turn all that caked on hard ash in the bottom into dust or will I have to scrape all that off bc I don't eat it to rust underneath

DRMSMKER
12-04-2017, 08:54 PM
Well I hope it will burn it enough to flake off or soften enough to scope up so I don't have to get in there and chisel it out.