PDA

View Full Version : DigiQ Help please

pmad
12-04-2017, 11:32 AM
A friend gave me a DigiQ DX2 to mess with.
He said, "I've never figured it out, see if you can do anything with it."

So, I install it on my XL BGE
I also set up my BlueThermDuo to track temps.

Lit lump, sealed egg, started DigiQ

It brought the temperature to 300* quicker than not having it. -- awesome.

The two were 10* off as it approached 300* - no big deal, just calibration.

But the temperature in the egg never stopped at 300*
It got as high as 390*

Any advice?

Is it better to get to desired temperature and THEN add the DigiQ?

It just seems to me that if you're using a fan to get to 300*, its going to go way beyond that after the fan stops.

What am I doing wrong.

padge31
12-04-2017, 11:57 AM
Maybe the probe for the pit temperature is bad or it is getting oxygen from somewhere other than the fan.

Kaptain Kadian
12-04-2017, 02:38 PM
With ceramic or insulated cookers, you need to set your desired temperature on the guru lower than the desired cooking temperature to start with. Then, once it stabilizes the temperature, you can increase the temperature on the guru to the desired temperature. You may still want to do this gradually. I would set your guru temperature to around 50 degrees less than your desired cooking temperature and then see where it settles in at. The guru has programming in it that is supposed to learn your pit as you cook. This can be good and bad. So, if it has to run for a while to get your initial temperature to come up a long way, it "learns" that it needs to run the fan longer to keep the temperature up. Not good for a ceramic. You can also unplug the guru for 30 seconds when you get close to your desired temperature and it will reset its memory of what it learned to get your cooker up to temperature.

mcyork28
12-04-2017, 03:45 PM
I used to have an older partyq that I used with a ceramic cooker. If I tried to get to temp using the partyq it would always overshoot. I had to get to the desired temp manually then let fan take over.

el luchador
12-04-2017, 04:46 PM
classic overshoot.

get it to temp then add the controller.

BBQ Freak
12-04-2017, 05:19 PM
if the cooker is running 275 degrees normally and your shooting for 225 degrees it will not even kick on , you have to have a lower temp to start with and then let the guru do its thing . sometimes the fan will over it a little by 10 degrees but then it will come back down .

Happy Hapgood
12-04-2017, 05:45 PM
Yep set your target temp for 225*F and see how it does. They learn and after afew uses, it may settle out.

Westx
12-04-2017, 05:56 PM
On my Humphrey's if I don't run my Digiq right it will overshoot. I set my temp 50* below desired temp. Once I reach that temp I unplug the digiq for 30 seconds then plug it back in and set my f I nal temp. This resets the memory and let's it remember how long it takes to get to temp.

Nuco59
12-04-2017, 06:07 PM
Yeahhhh- I think I will keep using nothing and continue to like it.

But good luck- hope you get it dialed in.

Big George's BBQ
12-04-2017, 07:55 PM
I do it one of 2 ways I take it manually or I start the DigiQ and fan as soon as I get the fire going I(f my target temp is 225 I set the DigiQ for 185-190 Once it hits that and stabilizes I will gradually increase the Temp If you try to go directly to the temp you want the fan will drive the temp higher then it hard toi get it back down The DigiQ does a nice job with the Egg