PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for a Snack Stick and Summer Sausage weekend!

blazinfire
12-04-2017, 11:26 AM
https://i.imgur.com/rfMPHru.jpg

Started out with the picture. Thought that was the most powerful way to get my message through. Just picked up these 2 whole boneless English roast slabs and about 6-7lbs of pork trimmings. Roughly 49lbs of beef.

My goal is to make snack sticks and summer sausages to send to family and pass out between friends for a Christmas gift kinda thing. Was only going to pick up one of these slabs but the way I figured it a 5lb batch will only be 4 summer sausages as each of my summer sausage casings will hold 2.5lbs. I would be splitting the 2.5lb logs in 1/2 making 2 sausages in each one

I Picked up seasonings,casings and cure from www.sausagemaker.com (http://www.sausagemaker.com) they should be here later in the week. For right now I stuck the meat in the freezer. I'll let it sit out Friday night to be processed Saturday and smoking Sunday

JDM46
12-04-2017, 11:52 AM
It is that time of the year. Will be doing the same this weekend.
(Rytek Kutas--Goetborg Recipe)

mikemci
12-04-2017, 11:57 AM
Same thing here. Good luck all!

Lomey
12-04-2017, 12:10 PM
That's on my to do list this month. Good luck with yours!

blazinfire
12-04-2017, 12:13 PM
It is that time of the year. Will be doing the same this weekend.
(Rytek Kutas--Goetborg Recipe)

Same thing here. Good luck all!

'Tis the season. This is by far the most expensive cook I've done. A lot is riding on this one as I'm sending some out of state. lol

That's on my to do list this month. Good luck with yours!

Thanks!!

IamMadMan
12-04-2017, 04:09 PM
You'll be fine......

Looks like you are off to a great start, keep us posted.

blazinfire
12-04-2017, 06:50 PM
You'll be fine......

Looks like you are off to a great start, keep us posted.

Heck ya man!! I got things under control! Just gonna be a looooong weekend LOL

blazinfire
12-06-2017, 02:18 PM
Package came today from www.sausagemaker.com .. I purchased Insta-Cure #1, Summer Sausage seasoning, Breakfast sausage seasoning, and snack stick seasoning. Also bought 61mm summer sausage fibrous casings, 22mm collagen casings for breakfast sausasges, and 19mm collagen casings for the snack sticks.

https://i.imgur.com/8ZuuexK.jpg

Ready to rock'n'roll here. Because I will be shipping these I will be waiting til Friday and spend all weekend making them. Having them prepared to ship Monday Morning.

blazinfire
12-06-2017, 02:29 PM
Alright came into a problem here.. The smallest stuffing tube that came with the LEM stuffer is a 1/2" and the 19mm casing will not fit the stuffing tube.

Are stuffer tubes universal? Or do I need to purchase LEM product? Wondering if I could just go to cabela's and buy one of their sausage stuffer tubes and it will work with my LEM stuffer. Is there a quick fix to this without having to buy a smaller tube?

Cat797
12-06-2017, 02:42 PM
I do t think they are universal....I've seen a couple recent posts on the FB sausage page saying that. Looks like you need the 3/8" tube from LEM....

Lomey
12-06-2017, 04:47 PM
I also think they are universal.

Joshw
12-06-2017, 05:42 PM
They are universal, assuming you get a tube with the right size base. Not sure what size base your stuffer takes, but as long as you get a tube with the same diameter base as it, you are fine. I believe Cabellas sells LEM, or at least rebranded LEM.

blazinfire
12-06-2017, 07:01 PM
They are universal, assuming you get a tube with the right size base. Not sure what size base your stuffer takes, but as long as you get a tube with the same diameter base as it, you are fine. I believe Cabellas sells LEM, or at least rebranded LEM.

Yeah no luck on finding a 3/8 stuffer nozzle. I drove an hour away to a cabela's they had no nozzles... so I decided to buy 21mm casings... They didn't have any... so Just to keep with my schedule I bought another box of hi-mountain seasonings that come with the 21mm casings... I'll buy a 3/8 nozzle next batch..

I found out I can also fit the 19mm's but its really hard to get started and it seems to wanna "Stretch" the casing quite a bit.. Can only fit 1-2ft of casing.

Highlife4me
12-06-2017, 07:09 PM
Alright came into a problem here.. The smallest stuffing tube that came with the LEM stuffer is a 1/2" and the 19mm casing will not fit the stuffing tube.

Are stuffer tubes universal? Or do I need to purchase LEM product? Wondering if I could just go to cabela's and buy one of their sausage stuffer tubes and it will work with my LEM stuffer. Is there a quick fix to this without having to buy a smaller tube?

You should be able to get a 19mm casing on a 1/2" tube. Might have to stretch the casing apart to get it on the tube. I did buy a 3/8 tube for stuffing sticks but I found it is much easier to just use the shorter lengths on the bigger tube. Its a lot of work to push the meat through the smaller tube and a huge PITA when doing it all by yourself.

blazinfire
12-06-2017, 07:11 PM
You should be able to get a 19mm casing on a 1/2" tube. Might have to stretch the casing apart to get it on the tube. I did buy a 3/8 tube for stuffing sticks but I found it is much easier to just use the shorter lengths on the bigger tube. Its a lot of work to push the meat through the smaller tube and a huge PITA when doing it all by yourself.

Oh so stretching them is ok? I figured if you had to stretch the casing a bit.. it would make it easier to burst? Like I said in an above post. I was able to get it to fit on the nozzle but very tightly and it seemed like the casing was stretching. I ordered the 19mm purely for the fact I thought the 21mm was slightly to big for my liking when it came to snack sticks. Would seem stretching it would make ordering 199mm mostly pointless :P

jsperk
12-06-2017, 07:14 PM
Can't wait to see the finished product.

Highlife4me
12-06-2017, 07:16 PM
I've not had that problem, just don't push it too hard when putting it on the tube. You want the casing to be able to slide off the tube freely. A little experimenting and you will figure it out, it works pretty good.

blazinfire
12-06-2017, 07:19 PM
I've not had that problem, just don't push it too hard when putting it on the tube. You want the casing to be able to slide off the tube freely. A little experimenting and you will figure it out, it works pretty good.

Yeah.. Kinda wish I didn't blow a 20 on the high mountain seasonings. but I was in the middle of freaking out. At the time all my plans were shot, until I got a smaller stuffing tube or different size casings.. Didn't learn I could stretch the casings slightly to make it fit.

Just looks like you have to work with smaller lengths when using the 19mm casing.. but that would be fine. I would rather have a smaller rope

mchar69
12-06-2017, 09:28 PM
I've used regular pig casings many times, and the Sausagemaker Mahogany casings to good effect for SS.
Never used the natural Lamb casings for sticks,
people say they are hard to work with.

IamMadMan
12-06-2017, 09:31 PM

Stuffer tubes are universal unless they have a special notch to lock them in place.

The 19mm will work with a 1/2" tube. 19mm is just shy of 3/4 of an inch, .748 to be exact, you have a 1/4" to play with. Because the casings are bunched up, you may have to slowly slide the casing on the horn, moving it in sections at a time to unbunch the tight sections as you slide them along the tube/horn.

Joshw
12-06-2017, 09:46 PM
I've used regular pig casings many times, and the Sausagemaker Mahogany casings to good effect for SS.
Never used the natural Lamb casings for sticks,
people say they are hard to work with.

I have used Sheep casings, hog casings, beef bungs, collagen casings and the fibrous casings. I would much rather work with any of the natural casings than the collagen casings. They are easier to work with, and I love the snap you get on the finished product. I do use protein lined fibrous casings a lot for salami and summer sausage, just because they are cheaper than the beef bungs. Don't be afraid of natural casings.

blazinfire
12-06-2017, 11:01 PM
Was hoping the containers said but they don't.. How much water is recommended to mix in with the seasoning/cure/meat to help evenly distribute through out the meat?

Joshw
12-07-2017, 09:37 AM
Was hoping the containers said but they don't.. How much water is recommended to mix in with the seasoning/cure/meat to help evenly distribute through out the meat?

about 1oz per pound. It's mainly a consistency thing. If you feel it is a little too stiff to stuff, you can add more. You want to use Ice cold water, it will help the fat not to melt while mixing.

blazinfire
12-07-2017, 10:15 AM
about 1oz per pound. It's mainly a consistency thing. If you feel it is a little too stiff to stuff, you can add more. You want to use Ice cold water, it will help the fat not to melt while mixing.

Yeah so far I've always added water to making sausages and it makes perfect sense to do so. But yeah I was a bit off on that. 1oz per pound sounds about right. I was guessing 1/4c per pound. Was just gonna mix in 1 or 1 1/2 cup for a 10lb batch. lol

Guess I'm getting a jump start.. I'm prepping my work area and going to be making the summer sausages this afternoon.... Gonna spend the next 3-4 days at this.. Trying to time everything just right :) Starting a day early so I should have plenty time.

Joshw
12-07-2017, 10:28 AM
Yeah so far I've always added water to making sausages and it makes perfect sense to do so. But yeah I was a bit off on that. 1oz per pound sounds about right. I was guessing 1/4c per pound. Was just gonna mix in 1 or 1 1/2 cup for a 10lb batch. lol

Guess I'm getting a jump start.. I'm prepping my work area and going to be making the summer sausages this afternoon.... Gonna spend the next 3-4 days at this.. Trying to time everything just right :) Starting a day early so I should have plenty time.

Adding water is helpful in distributing spices, keeping the fat cold, helping the meat bind, and loosens the meat up for stuffing. 1 1/2 cups isn't too bad, like I said the 1oz per pound is a general rule. Some meats will absorb water differently. There are some emulsified sausage recipes that call for up to 25% ice water to help in the binding process.

blazinfire
12-07-2017, 10:40 AM
Adding water is helpful in distributing spices, keeping the fat cold, helping the meat bind, and loosens the meat up for stuffing. 1 1/2 cups isn't too bad, like I said the 1oz per pound is a general rule. Some meats will absorb water differently. There are some emulsified sausage recipes that call for up to 25% ice water to help in the binding process.

Yeah I'm not giving away all my secrets and stuff until my thread :).. I'll go into the whole process for a detailed thread later...... And what do ya know... Today is the first time this season its snowing outside!! Probably won't amount to much but it was a slight surprise. Good sign for sausage making! Now I wish I already smoked cheese like I wanted.. I need smoke cheese for my sausages!

Update: Not sure if this is a good sign or not, but I was right. snow wasn't sticking around. Although it was a beautiful short spurt of snow!