PDA

View Full Version : LSG Vertical cabinet stability

bonehead762
12-04-2017, 11:15 AM
Anyone have any info/input on the stability of a IVS? Do they roll easy? Seems like the center of gravity would make them a little bit too heavy. Or are the just like a refrigerator? 28" wide (for the LSG large IVS) seems a little narrow. I will be rolling it around in and out of storage to use it and was interested in the stability.

What say you?

Thanks very much.

SmittyJonz
12-04-2017, 11:21 AM
Don’t they have a super casters option.?

bonehead762
12-04-2017, 11:28 AM
Taller casters, 8" vs. the standard 5", not necessarily a wider footprint.

SmittyJonz
12-04-2017, 11:39 AM
Get the cart option

https://i.imgur.com/09kLc13l.jpeg

SmittyJonz
12-04-2017, 11:48 AM
This is a different brand but I wonder if LSG would do something like this.? If not maybe get it done by someone afterwards......

https://i.imgur.com/l1PHmyfl.png

Sid Post
12-04-2017, 12:00 PM
Give me a few days, I hope to swing by their shop this week if things work out as planned.

Since LSG custom builds these, I'm sure they could put a wider footprint on it if you wanted. Myself, when I look at the options I want, the cart is an obvious upgrade for me.

With listed dimensions of:
34'' wide x 28'' deep x 48'' tall (55'' tall with casters)
I think the picture your looking at is a bit deceiving as it's only 4'7" tall on casters which is less than 'chin' high for most people.

Twisted T's Q
12-04-2017, 12:31 PM
if portability is important check out 270 smokers , them baby's are a breeze to roll around , take up or down a step or 2 or what ever, not to mention how great of a smoker they are. with that being said LSG smokers are awesome there 24 x 60 horizontal offset will probably be my next smoker, but like I said them 270's are a breeze to move around

RacrX
12-04-2017, 02:19 PM
Get either the cart or the larger caster option. I have the larger casters and in an even surface it's not a problem moving it around. If you're on grass, it would be a problem.

TosaJake
12-05-2017, 08:44 AM
If you are going to ever move one onto or off of a trailer, I would say the cart is a MUST. Trust me I know. I wheel mine in and out of the garage, no problem (smooth concrete and level). I am 200+ pounds. The only way I can move across grass is by putting plywood sheeting down. Now it takes some effort and leverage by my tall big body, but I can move it.

bonehead762
12-05-2017, 09:46 AM
Yeah. I’m thinking about adding a winch to the inside of my trailer.

ebijack
12-05-2017, 09:59 AM
Or you could get the wheel/castor height you want. Go to HarborFreight and buy 16 wheels only and double the castors foot print. I used 1/2 aluminum rod from HD to make axles. Drill and insert cotter pins on both ends with washers. You could use bolt/nuts if wanted.
The "upgraded" 8" wheels I got on my smoker were supposed to be 8". Actually they were 8.5". So I went with dual wheels per corner instead of my planned 3 per. You reuse the original castor brackets.
Really makes a big difference in stability.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/923/mtDYL4.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pnmtDYL4j)
Just another thought.

THoey1963
12-05-2017, 02:41 PM
The cabinet is quite stable. You have to remember, it has all that weight at the bottom from the firebox and ash pan.

The thing is a beast at around 850 pounds. With the hard casters that LSG sells, there is no way to push it across grass. It'll plow in. I ordered the following and had them sent to LSG:

http://www.marathonind.com/10-Swivel-Caster-with-Flat-Free-Tire-P166C23.aspx
http://www.marathonind.com/10-Rigid-Caster-with-Flat-Free-Tire-P167C23.aspx

They travel better across grass, but if you hit a wet spot like where the condensation from my AC drains, you'll still need a couple boards to move it through.

Notorious Q.U.E.
12-05-2017, 03:06 PM
I just moved my Pitmaker Vault with the help of 2 buddies. It's a 925 pound animal.

I purchased subfloor which is compression-resistant plywood. I bought two 4ft x 6ft panels and laid them out train track style. It worked like a charm cause I was worried those itty bitty casters were going to sink right into the turf.

Safety wise, we had two men on the side likely to tip (lower side of incline of my yard). I also used trailer chocks and moved them with each panel in case of a runaway situation.

THoey1963
12-05-2017, 03:10 PM
I have four 2" X 10" X 10' long boards conveniently stored under my deck in case I decide I need to move mine.

chicken
12-11-2017, 04:22 PM
As others have said, the stock casters on the smoker are great on a hard surfaces. On a soft surface you need to figure out a work around, different casters, wood on the ground, etc. The big issue is just the weight of the smoker. So while the casters are great the thing is heavy as hell and in turn makes it a little hard to navigate tight areas.

Notorious Q.U.E.
12-11-2017, 09:39 PM
No matter what, I'd say buy LSG's upgraded lockable 8" casters. It's a few things. After rolling my Vault around with 3 beefy guys pushing really damn hard, I was saying any iota of relief with more leverage of a bigger wheel would've been nice.

The seller who sold me my Vault did me a big solid by chucking the shredded stock "lawnmower wheels" and putting pneumatics on. Even though I know they'll die, I'll worry about it in a few years. Here's a shot of what the 3 of us lugged around and, even in decent shape with decent conditions (ground semi frozen), it was still a BEEE--OTCH to move.

Punchline: Try for as big of wheels as possible. It'll be a huge selling point if you ever decide to sell or hand down to your kids.

bonehead762
12-11-2017, 09:55 PM
As mentioned in the other thread, I ordered the comp setup which comes with the 8” wheels. I don’t do comps but I liked the added length of the cart part. Down the road I might do a little mod and weld whatever I need to and add some 10” non-pneumatic wheels, like the kind for wheelbarrows and such. IF, I can find them with high end bearings.

At home I will pour concrete wherever I need to to facilitate movement. But, my trailer has a ramp door so a winch will work there. Might have to add another layer of 3/4” plywood to the floor though as well.