PDA

View Full Version : Lessons Learned

SmokePigTails
12-04-2017, 09:55 AM
Many people come here to get information about a new cooker/smoker/grill purchase. What has your experience and research taught you about your needs, preferences, and wants in a new unit.

For me I have found the following
-Cost of shipping
-Ease of control
-Ease of cleaning
-Take the biggest unit I would need and get one size bigger.
-Access to racks
-Insulated units are more efficient

pjtexas1
12-04-2017, 10:43 AM
get what you want/need the first time...nothing like looking at a new cooker and thinking it would have been nice to have [insert option here].

know yourself and/or situation...as in don't buy a stick burner if you have no time and don't by a charcoal cooker if you love playing with fire.

there is no one single magic cooker that will work for everything.

do your research and get what works for you regardless of what we are trying to push you towards.

Sid Post
12-04-2017, 10:45 AM
Many people come here to get information about a new cooker/smoker/grill purchase. What has your experience and research taught you about your needs, preferences, and wants in a new unit.

For me I have found the following
-Cost of shipping
-Ease of control
-Ease of cleaning
-Take the biggest unit I would need and get one size bigger.
-Access to racks
-Insulated units are more efficient

Good start. Now add:

Where do I store it?
How do I protect it from weather?
Do I really want to run a 40 x 8lb pork butt size smoker for one chicken?
What wood do I have access to for a stick burner?
Do I really want to sleep all night or tend a fire?
Briquettes or Lump?
A plumbers torch or weed burner sure is nice.

SmittyJonz
12-04-2017, 12:20 PM
Just remember Black is Boring and Bright Red is UGLY. Camo is Sexy. :wink:

Mikhail
12-04-2017, 12:23 PM
Get good with the cooker you have. You can as long as it is halfway decent. THEN you can start looking for something better. A new cooker will not take you from bad BBQ to good. That's the cook.

70monte
12-04-2017, 12:57 PM
My problem is that I always see a new smoker or grill that I want to try out even though I probably already have everything that will cook just as well. Right now I'm fixated on wanting the M1 grill even though I have two great smokers in the Good One Open Range and the Good One Marshall and some good grills in a Hasty Bake, Weber Kettle/Performers, and two different PK grills.

I really wish there was one cooker that would do it all so I could downsize. LOL

My biggest requirements for a smoker are size, ease of use, and fuel usage. The one negative for my Good One smokers are that they are not that fuel efficient.

My PK grills are very fuel efficient but lack in space for serious smoking. I have never smoked on my Hasty Bake since I just recently bought it used so I don't know how well it does as a smoker.

Wayne

el luchador
12-04-2017, 01:24 PM
Lesson learned

A charcoal cooker is far easier to use than a stick burner, and the q tastes just as good.

A drum smoker is easier to own and maintain than a side offset

Smoker mounted analog temp gauges are not all that accurate

bonz50
12-04-2017, 02:04 PM
Good start. Now add:

Do I really want to run a 40 x 8lb pork butt size smoker for one chicken? - YES :thumb:

well... my .02 haha

Ed Embry
12-04-2017, 03:13 PM
Lesson learned

A charcoal cooker is far easier to use than a stick burner, and the q tastes just as good.

I agree with the first part, but not the second :-D

el luchador
12-04-2017, 05:28 PM

lol. are you saying charcoal cooked food tastes BETTER than wood? :becky:

mchar69
12-04-2017, 06:14 PM
All roads lead into the one direction -
UDS! (or a bastard child PBS, etc....)

j/k

CptKaos
12-04-2017, 08:07 PM
Trying to be funny or sarcastic doesn't come across effectively on the interweb, don't believe me, say something about boiling meat in a souse vide thread :)

Larry

Burnt at Both Endz
12-04-2017, 08:13 PM
My advice would be turn around and run away as fast as you can, before it ends up costing you thousands of dollars...just sayin'

bonehead762
12-04-2017, 10:56 PM
Too late.

RacrX
12-04-2017, 11:24 PM

Just do what I do- start it on the stick burner and finish it on the IVC. Stick burner taste and cuts the tending time way down.