PDA

View Full Version : Brisket bug

kendall
12-04-2017, 08:20 AM
Saturday was our first get together of the Christmas season,The hostess served brisket cooked by a neighbor, so we went not knowing what to
expect.

It was delicious!! 22 people devoured about 20 lbs of meat.
I have done ribs and pork butts, turkey's and assorted kielbasa,
and other stuff. But never a brisket. Then a light bulb went off,
behind my late father in laws house is the brick and mortar BBQ
pit I spent all summer having to mow around.

Interior measures 70 inches by 44 inches with 19 inches from the dirt
floor up to the level where the cook grate is located. The plan is to clean it
out and use cement blocks to half the length and make a 40X44 cooking
pit. I can use the other end as a fire pit to burn my wood down to coals and
shovel hot coals into the pit under the meat or even offset the meat
from the fire.

Any body that cooks on a pit like this have any ideas on how to measure the temps at grate level? I plan to just use a layer of cardboard as the cover and may just use a long fryer thermometer.
I have helped with a bunch of whole hog BBQ cooks on this pit but never. been the Pitmaster for one of my own, I know there is lots of knowledge
on this board and any advice is welcome

Notorious Q.U.E.
12-04-2017, 08:51 AM
Awesome plan! I don’t have cred in pit design but just want to voice my support and let you know I’m tuned in.

As an aside, the word pit came into use because the original concept was no kidding a pit dug into the ground with a fire in it. Sounds like this pit has some promise given the deliciousness of twenty pounds of brisket. When I started reading your story I was bracing for tales of a courtesy bite and smile. This seems like true blue good Que potential

Garyclaw
12-04-2017, 09:52 AM
Sounds like you enough about this stuff to make this work. A novelty cooker at the very least, but could be a fun way to turn out some good eats. Pics?

Mikhail
12-04-2017, 09:54 AM
Following this.