PDA

View Full Version : Smoked Salmon - Seasoning & Suggestions

Shagbark
12-02-2017, 05:44 PM
Picked up a 2.5 lb hunk of salmon today with the intentions of smoking it. I was thinking of using a light sprinkle of Plow Boys Yardbird rub but I'm not sure how well salmon goes with that rub. I've smoked steelhead fillets already that came out fantastic but that was with a different rub and different smoker.

I'm open to suggestions anyone can offer. BTW, it will be done on a Traeger pellet pooper with hickory.

Haole Pete
12-02-2017, 06:56 PM
Plowboys might work, but I'd agree to go "light" on it. Salmon doesn't need too much help.

My usual method is to marinate in soy sauce and garlic a couple hours. Then remove and dry on a cookie rack in the fridge.

When the salmon feels tacky, smoke it. Sprinkle lightly with dill weed and eat.

That said, I live in a desert and am probably not the best seafood reference on this board.... :wink:

Big George's BBQ
12-02-2017, 07:33 PM
Put it in a cure 3/4cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup kosher salt for about 12 hrs- put in freezer bags or wrap in saran Tomorrow rinse well and let dry Put on smoker at 150 and gradually increase temp to about 180 Take it off at 145 Let cool, wrap, and let it sit in fridge over night Gore has a great tutorial on this Ross in Ventura has several salmon cooks here

Smoking Piney
12-02-2017, 08:02 PM
Plowboys might work, but I'd agree to go "light" on it. Salmon doesn't need too much help.

My usual method is to marinate in soy sauce and garlic a couple hours. Then remove and dry on a cookie rack in the fridge.

When the salmon feels tacky, smoke it. Sprinkle lightly with dill weed and eat.

That said, I live in a desert and am probably not the best seafood reference on this board.... :wink:

I have smoked salmon like this before. It rocked. Letting the marinade dry to tacky is key.

Smoke as low and slow as you can get it.

Shagbark
12-03-2017, 01:26 AM
Thanks for the input. Both methods mentioned sound interesting.
I'm not a fan of soy sauce or garlic so I might give Big George's a try. I'll let you know the results.

guero_gordo
12-03-2017, 01:36 AM
When I worked at a fish plant in AK, the brine was exactly like what Big George suggests.
We smoked with Alder.
Maybe mix up a little lemon/garlic/dill mayo to serve with it.

Big George's BBQ
12-03-2017, 10:42 AM
Apple wood is good too

EdF
12-03-2017, 11:00 AM
The "dry to tacky" bit _is_ really important - helps the smoke to stick!

Shagbark
12-03-2017, 11:29 AM
The "dry to tacky" bit _is_ really important - helps the smoke to stick!

Thanks, that’s good to know. We’ll see how this comes out tomorrow.

Big George's BBQ
12-03-2017, 05:14 PM
Will be interested and hearing your results

MisterChrister
12-03-2017, 07:24 PM
George (unsurprisingly) nailed it, again!

rehless
12-03-2017, 07:48 PM
Kosher salt, brown sugar, dill weed. Apple or alder wood.