PDA

View Full Version : Hanging vs grate for sausages

blazinfire
12-02-2017, 01:01 PM
Hey everyone hows it going? Having a lovely Saturday afternoon of sitting around doing absolutely nothing but shopping on the internet for sausage making items. Plan on making a batch of summer sausages and snack sticks for family for Christmas gifts(if they turn out good).

This thread is more towards summer sausages than snack sticks as I've already made snack sticks laying on the grate and I'll most likely do the same this time around.

My question is there any benefits from hanging summer sausages? Don't see where it would be necessary but when watching anything about sausage making seems like most people hang them. Not sure if it would be worth buying hooks to hang from the grate or not.

JDM46
12-02-2017, 01:09 PM
HANG EM. You wont get any grate marks that way.
I just use a wood skewer to suspend them from the expanded metal grate on the Backwoods Smoker. Same should work on your MES.

Joshw
12-02-2017, 01:18 PM
I have done it both ways. I prefer hanging. I feel like you get a more even cook, and smoke. But a lot of depends on the cooker. You can cut dowels the same width a your shelves, and hang the sausages on the dowels. I normally smoke my summer sausage to 140, then steam until 165. Then put in ice water to cool. The dowels come in handy to dry sausage after they are done.

IamMadMan
12-02-2017, 01:19 PM
Not really necessary, but they won't have grate marks or flat spots. They also won't pick up any heat from the grate itself, so all side of the chub will be exposed to the same temperature. Round dowel rods and / or hooks will work just fine.

jermoQ
12-02-2017, 01:19 PM
I agree ^^^^ You are avoiding grill marks by hanging

Czarbecue
12-02-2017, 01:54 PM
If the links are connected then definitely use the hooks to hang them.

JohnH12
12-02-2017, 02:00 PM
I've always wondered what max temp wood dowels are good for.
I've been using a 1" x 1" square piece of Home Depot oak left over from a project for cold smoking but don't know if I should use it for regular smoking or get some rebar.
Any ideas?

Joshw
12-02-2017, 02:04 PM
I've been using a 1" x 1" square piece of Home Depot oak left over from a project for cold smoking but don't know if I should use it for regular smoking or get some rebar.
Any ideas?

I don't like to do sausage over 120, so not sure of top end heat. I would think in indirect, you could go pretty hot though. Actually what I have started using is 1/2" x 1/2" aluminum angle iron. The wooden dowels work well, but over time they will bend and warp. I have been using the same angle iron for years.

Czarbecue
12-02-2017, 02:05 PM
I don't like to do sausage over 120, so not sure of top end heat. I would think in indirect, you could go pretty hot though. Actually what I have started using is 1/2" x 1/2" aluminum angle iron. The wooden dowels work well, but over time they will bend and warp. I have been using the same angle iron for years.

Do you treat the angle iron before putting food on it? Or just the regular seasoning process?

blazinfire
12-02-2017, 02:06 PM
Any ideas?

Hmmm I'm curious on this as well. Can I just go to the hardware store get a untreated wooden dowel?

But My plan was if I was going to hang the summer sausages. The casings I purchase already pre-tied. I was going to cut the loop and tie the sausages to my top cooking grate on the master built. So I really don't need hooks.

Joshw
12-02-2017, 02:08 PM
Do you treat the angle iron before putting food on it? Or just the regular seasoning process?

Just washed it, baked it in the oven at 350 to burn off anything. And started using it. The meat never touches the metal. I tie loops of butcher twine on one end of my casing, and just loop it over the angle iron. Over time the metal will season, but it isn't important.

Joshw
12-02-2017, 02:10 PM
Hmmm I'm curious on this as well. Can I just go to the hardware store get a untreated wooden dowel?

But My plan was if I was going to hang the summer sausages. The casings I purchase already pre-tied. I was going to cut the loop and tie the sausages to my top cooking grate on the master built. So I really don't need hooks.

Yes, Ace Hardware and wal-mart sells dowels. Just cut them to length of your shelf, and slide the loop of your casing over the dowel, and put them in just like you would your shelf. I have done it many, many times.

ssv3
12-02-2017, 03:12 PM
Hang 'em. Sound advice above. You've got the vertical too.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-IdKMOgQ5MxU/VGrEV2KYZ7I/AAAAAAAAKzs/2a51_Gbd218/w484-h860-no/20141111_185305.jpg

IamMadMan
12-02-2017, 03:27 PM
Any ideas?

If you are smoking sausage you are well under a chamber temperature of 300°, paper and wood won't begin to char until you start to reach 400° +, unless it's been treated.

Remember the book "Fahrenheit 451" ? Temperature that paper starts to burn.

blazinfire
12-02-2017, 05:17 PM
Hang 'em. Sound advice above. You've got the vertical too.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-IdKMOgQ5MxU/VGrEV2KYZ7I/AAAAAAAAKzs/2a51_Gbd218/w484-h860-no/20141111_185305.jpg

Hehe I'm to lazy for low temp cooking in the vertical offset. Purchased the electric smoker for such things :D

blazinfire
12-04-2017, 12:29 PM
Any reason to flip hanging summer sausages? Does the lower portion get done faster than the top? or will it cook pretty even? I'm cooking on a Master built smoker so the heat source will be coming from the bottom.

JDM46
12-04-2017, 12:36 PM
IMO, no need to flip. I use a MES 30. Run @130F for 2 hours to dry, then bump up to 160 and apply smoke for 3 hours. I use pellets in a AMAZN maze. After applying smoke I use a hot plate with boiling water to steam the chubs to 165F Internal temp. Only takesabout 45 minutes to do this. Great time saving method.

blazinfire
12-04-2017, 12:58 PM
IMO, no need to flip. I use a MES 30. Run @130F for 2 hours to dry, then bump up to 160 and apply smoke for 3 hours. I use pellets in a AMAZN maze. After applying smoke I use a hot plate with boiling water to steam the chubs to 165F Internal temp. Only takesabout 45 minutes to do this. Great time saving method.

My plans were to run @130 for 2 hours.. and do the 160 til done with 3 hours of smoke. then run it @170 til done. Running the mes40 @170 will probably see top temps close to 180 if anything is to go by with my previous cooks and runs with the cooker.

I also might want to add I am getting 2 3/8" casings that is 24" long. I plan on either filling the entire casing then try to tie off in the middle to turn it into 2 smaller logs on the same casing.. Or cut the casing and make smaller sausages and hang them separately

I haven't figured out which method I'm gonna use yet. But I seen a video of someone making multiple logs out of 1 casing and they recommended tying a loop on both ends and flipping them for even cooking when hanging them in multiple logs in one casing.

IamMadMan
12-04-2017, 04:14 PM
I haven't figured out which method I'm gonna use yet. But I seen a video of someone making multiple logs out of 1 casing and they recommended tying a loop on both ends and flipping them for even cooking when hanging them in multiple logs in one casing.

Personally I think hog rings would be a better choice. Put two hog rings in the center so you can cut to individually separate them after smoking. Simply cut between the two rings, thus leaving both sausages completely sealed.

Joshw
12-04-2017, 06:00 PM
Hog rings are probably better, but I hate using them. Something about my hands don't like messing with them. I find that butcher twine works really well, and is easier and cheaper to use for me. If you are wanting smaller chubs, I would either buy shorter casings, or tie them in the middle. No need to cut them, then have to tie off two ends instead of one. Personally I would do anything you can to stay away from temps above 160. You are risking having your sausage break at higher temps. By steaming to finish, you will plump your sausages back up. With the MES, you could probably just fill the water pan. Only other advice, that I can give, is you want to get protein lined casings. They will shrink with your sausage.

blazinfire
12-04-2017, 06:39 PM
Hog rings are probably better, but I hate using them. Something about my hands don't like messing with them. I find that butcher twine works really well, and is easier and cheaper to use for me. If you are wanting smaller chubs, I would either buy shorter casings, or tie them in the middle. No need to cut them, then have to tie off two ends instead of one. Personally I would do anything you can to stay away from temps above 160. You are risking having your sausage break at higher temps. By steaming to finish, you will plump your sausages back up. With the MES, you could probably just fill the water pan. Only other advice, that I can give, is you want to get protein lined casings. They will shrink with your sausage.

I just got regular fibrous casings. As of right now my plans are to tie them in the middle. Probably gonna tie twice so I can cut it in the middle. But I'll leave them together during the smoking process.

I almost purchased a dirt cheap set of hog ring pliers but I didn't want it to end up being a cheap POS so I purchased a spool of twine instead.

As far as temp is concerned.. I never did ask the question... Using a beef/pork ratio what IT should I take summer sausages too? It might have directions and instructions for that on the seasoning containers when I get them. Do I take them to 160?

Joshw
12-04-2017, 06:42 PM
I pull at 165, then put in ice bath to stop cooking. Pull out of ice when internal is 120 and hang to dry.

blazinfire
12-04-2017, 06:46 PM
I pull at 165, then put in ice bath to stop cooking. Pull out of ice when internal is 120 and hang to dry.

Oh really? I'm looking at 165? For some reason I was thinking 152 or possible 161.. Ok how about this question... Whats the best way to read temps... I have the master built meat probe in the cooker, and I have a thermopop. I don't have any other meat thermometers.

My idea was to probe the very top. Should be done when hitting temp. I assume bottoms would cook slightly faster being closer to the element... but might not make a huge different doing low temp in the MES. I know I don't want to poke multiple holes in the casings.. So I plan on hopefully only checking it when the built in meat probe is getting close

Notorious Q.U.E.
12-04-2017, 06:48 PM
I just bought three of the full size (top rack pictured) from Humphrey smokers.

They were super cool and willing to customize even for a Pitmaker . I hope to get in on the hanging craze. My kids love these tiny breakfast sausages from Costco that come as two links. They’ll fit right onto these racks.

I also bought their large meat hooks . My goal is to be hanging brisket and baby backs next weekend

Joshw
12-04-2017, 06:56 PM
Oh really? I'm looking at 165? For some reason I was thinking 152 or possible 161.. Ok how about this question... Whats the best way to read temps... I have the master built meat probe in the cooker, and I have a thermopop. I don't have any other meat thermometers.

My idea was to probe the very top. Should be done when hitting temp. I assume bottoms would cook slightly faster being closer to the element... but might not make a huge different doing low temp in the MES. I know I don't want to poke multiple holes in the casings.. So I plan on hopefully only checking it when the built in meat probe is getting close

Some recipes call to pull at 155, some 160, some 165. I move mine to a steamer at 140. So I take them up to 165. With the steam, you don't have to worry about them drying out. If you aren't going to steam, pulling at 160 won't kill you. I use a maverick during cooking, to monitor temps. but you could use the one on the MES. You might double check each one before you pull with the thermopop. Just put it as close to the middle of the chub as you can. I see your thoughts on the bottom heat, but the outer part of the sausage will cook before the center, so you want to take temps from the center. Good casings will seal back up, after probing. I wouldn't go crazy, but taking the temp won't hurt anything.

blazinfire
12-04-2017, 07:48 PM
Some recipes call to pull at 155, some 160, some 165. I move mine to a steamer at 140. So I take them up to 165. With the steam, you don't have to worry about them drying out. If you aren't going to steam, pulling at 160 won't kill you. I use a maverick during cooking, to monitor temps. but you could use the one on the MES. You might double check each one before you pull with the thermopop. Just put it as close to the middle of the chub as you can. I see your thoughts on the bottom heat, but the outer part of the sausage will cook before the center, so you want to take temps from the center. Good casings will seal back up, after probing. I wouldn't go crazy, but taking the temp won't hurt anything.

Wonder if I should use water in the water pan in the MES? Didn't plan on using any water at all... But looks like my plans is to pull anywhere between 160-165. lol

Joshw
12-04-2017, 08:20 PM
Wonder if I should use water in the water pan in the MES? Didn't plan on using any water at all... But looks like my plans is to pull anywhere between 160-165. lol

I would put it in at 140. Not sure how much steam it generates, but I know that steaming the sausages, will plump them up, and give you a nicer looking final product. I normally am against water cookers, so I would keep it dry for the cold smoke process, but once you go up in temp, the steam helps. I wouldn't worry about it with your snack sticks, I prefer them to dry a little.

blazinfire
12-04-2017, 09:24 PM
I would put it in at 140. Not sure how much steam it generates, but I know that steaming the sausages, will plump them up, and give you a nicer looking final product. I normally am against water cookers, so I would keep it dry for the cold smoke process, but once you go up in temp, the steam helps. I wouldn't worry about it with your snack sticks, I prefer them to dry a little.

Yup I wouldn't use water on the snack sticks. But its something to think about when doing the summer sausages. They are being sent to family and friends so I've gotta nail this. lol

Thanks for the info guys!