PDA

View Full Version : How is the best way to move a trailer smoker?

chet8888
11-29-2017, 05:21 PM
For all you folks that have larger, trailer smokers- how do you move them around either the yard or from in a garage to out where you cook? Do you have to hook it up to your truck/car each time, or is there a better way?

Next time I get a smoker- I'm thinking it is more practical to get it on a trailer than on a patio model.

Thanks!

SmittyJonz
11-29-2017, 05:52 PM
Lawn mower tractor

BBQ Freak
11-29-2017, 05:53 PM
I have a hitch on my zero turn mower right not but I am going to buy a cheap used 4 wheeler next year .

Joshw
11-29-2017, 05:55 PM
Depends on how big it is. If you have a lawn tractor, you can put a ball on it, they will move a lot more than you think, and they maneuver in small spaces really well. If you are wanting something quick and easy, something like this works pretty well. I haven't used this exact brand, just an example of what to look for.
https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-70225-Trailer-Dolly-Pneumatic/dp/B008CE0TN4/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_263_bs_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=07TX95S8N0B9HCJ7W0C0

Czarbecue
11-29-2017, 05:56 PM
I use a boat trailer dolly from Harbor Freight.. I think it was $60.

shares
11-29-2017, 05:57 PM
A cheap used 4 wheeler? That will be the winning craigslist score post of all time.

chet8888
11-29-2017, 06:07 PM
I thought about the trailer dolly, but my old patio smoker was closed to 1200#, I figured a trailer would be about as heavy if not more- -so I thought I would max out the weight limits of those.

BBQ Freak
11-29-2017, 06:11 PM
A cheap used 4 wheeler? That will be the winning craigslist score post of all time.

I can buy them all day long in this hick town and if they are broke down I can fix them , lol .

Joshw
11-29-2017, 06:13 PM
I thought about the trailer dolly, but my old patio smoker was closed to 1200#, I figured a trailer would be about as heavy if not more- -so I thought I would max out the weight limits of those.

It doesn't have to support the full weight of the trailer, just the tongue weight. That will differ depending how the weight is distributed on the trailer, and axle placement. I think you would be fine, but you would just have to try and see. You might look around, I am sure they make them for different load capacities. My uncle used one to move around a car hauler trailer with a trans am on it all the time.

homesmoke
11-29-2017, 06:21 PM
Lots of choices like this one. Used to have a much older, but similar model to move around boat trailers, but now use the riding mower.

This one is rated for 5000lbs and 500lb tongue weight.
https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Valet-V211-Tongue-Silver/dp/B007G2IH4Q/ref=pd_sbs_200_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=195S3VRRTC1M9NX2PS9B

Hotch
11-29-2017, 06:26 PM
Check out my post here!
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253549&page=4

Jason TQ
11-29-2017, 09:06 PM
It is flat from the garage to driveway so I can move mine in and out with whatever "man power" I have. It's not crazy easy but I can do it. Previous place driveway was sloped down a little and even a slight decline I wouldn't take it out without my truck :-D.

Grass would be tough without assistance unless the ground was really dry.

Ayvatr
11-29-2017, 09:25 PM
I bought a trailer dolly from tractor supply. After a few tries, I determined that the wheels weren’t big enough to muscle around the 3k weight so I went back to the store and bought wheels at least 2x the originals and it works great now.

CentralOhioBBQ
11-29-2017, 09:30 PM
Ya my Lang 84 is in my back yard, on a slope, in grass. It weighs 2500lbs. The dolly isn’t an option for me...it’s laughable.

I’m curious if my cub cadet riding lawnmower could maneuver it around, I have serious doubts. Pulling our SUV into the back yard and loading and unloading is a huge pain in the butt.

Doog
11-30-2017, 06:51 AM
Ya my Lang 84 is in my back yard, on a slope, in grass. It weighs 2500lbs. The dolly isn’t an option for me...it’s laughable.

I’m curious if my cub cadet riding lawnmower could maneuver it around, I have serious doubts. Pulling our SUV into the back yard and loading and unloading is a huge pain in the butt.

I move mine around with an old cub cadet. Try it and see,once you get it moving they aren't hard to pull.

txsmkmstr
11-30-2017, 09:46 AM
Have tried reciting some poetry to it???

I might suggest "Trees" by Joyce Kilmer.

:twitch:

bonz50
11-30-2017, 11:10 AM
without trying to hijack the thread........

I've been debating this myself for a bit while I try to decide which type to get. Patio models with the wagon wheel setup seem more practical for me, however, some concerns have me thinking a trailer model with removable tongue might be a better option though a bit more expensive. the concerns I have is that my primary smoking location (driveway) has a bit of a mild slope to it. enough so that it would require a pretty good sized wheel chock to keep it from rolling all the way into the street.

my concern with the patio model is that the only level location I have is on the back patio (i store my stuff in the garage) and the patio models don't seem to have a way to level the smoker, that's what has me thinkin trailer model, with the added bonus of portability if I should ever need to pull it to a midwest brethren bash or to a friends graduation party for their kids (i've already been asked). I also don't have a riding mower or atv to use a dolly with either.

hope that's not to big of a hijack and that it ties into the OP a bit as well

thoughts??

Joshw
11-30-2017, 11:17 AM
I would think, if you are planning on taking it to different locations, a trailer is the way to go. with the other style you are talking about, you will be having to push that thing up ramps and unloading, every time you want to take it somewhere. You could use a winch, but still going to be a lot harder than hooking up a trailler.

bonz50
11-30-2017, 11:31 AM
ya, but that's only a 'possibility', but I won't deny the ability to hook up and go if needed.

as others have mentioned in other threads, better to have and not need than to need and not have, i guess.

Joshw
11-30-2017, 11:37 AM
ya, but that's only a 'possibility', but I won't deny the ability to hook up and go if needed.

as others have mentioned in other threads, better to have and not need than to need and not have, i guess.

My thoughts are, you haven't even purchased it yet, and have came up with two reasons, that you might want to take it somewhere. If it is already on your mind, it is something you are probably going to want. Better to spend a little more up front, and be satisfied, than to save a little now, and have regrets, or spend more later.

Jason TQ
11-30-2017, 12:59 PM
without trying to hijack the thread........

I've been debating this myself for a bit while I try to decide which type to get. Patio models with the wagon wheel setup seem more practical for me, however, some concerns have me thinking a trailer model with removable tongue might be a better option though a bit more expensive. the concerns I have is that my primary smoking location (driveway) has a bit of a mild slope to it. enough so that it would require a pretty good sized wheel chock to keep it from rolling all the way into the street.

my concern with the patio model is that the only level location I have is on the back patio (i store my stuff in the garage) and the patio models don't seem to have a way to level the smoker, that's what has me thinkin trailer model, with the added bonus of portability if I should ever need to pull it to a midwest brethren bash or to a friends graduation party for their kids (i've already been asked). I also don't have a riding mower or atv to use a dolly with either.

hope that's not to big of a hijack and that it ties into the OP a bit as well

thoughts??

I bet a pit manufacturer could figure out a way to level a patio model. Maybe a few jacks on one end. I'm not as smart so that might not work, but there has to be a way.

Also for the slope concern I had a decent slope at my last place and bought some chocks that worked fine. Hooked up the truck to roll it out, put chocks in place and jack the tongue way up to level. It was almost fully extended. My 30x70 always stayed in place. My "fail safe" was to leave the truck in front in case a rhino came by looking for BBQ and rammed my smoker loose over the chocks :becky:. That way the truck would take the hit and it wouldn't roll into the street.

chet8888
11-30-2017, 06:02 PM
No worries on thread drift. I would say that if you do get the Patio model- I would highly recommend the wagon wheel option. I had trouble with the free rotating caster wheels on my Patio model trying to move it in and out of it's storage place. It didn't want to roll in a straight line because the wheels would natural want to spin 180 to point in the direction I was going (if that makes sense). But others are correct- if storage isn't an issue, and you already have designs on taking it places- get the trailer. Once I chocked mine, it didn't move.

chet8888
11-30-2017, 06:04 PM
Hilarious Jason that you were willing to sacrifice the grill/radiator/engine of your truck to stop a runaway smoker.

Even crazier- I would do the exact same thing! :-P

angryelfFan
11-30-2017, 06:07 PM
2 sons and a daughter. They do all my heavy lifting.

medic92
11-30-2017, 06:15 PM
Depends on how big it is. If you have a lawn tractor, you can put a ball on it, they will move a lot more than you think, and they maneuver in small spaces really well. If you are wanting something quick and easy, something like this works pretty well. I haven't used this exact brand, just an example of what to look for.
https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-70225-Trailer-Dolly-Pneumatic/dp/B008CE0TN4/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_263_bs_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=07TX95S8N0B9HCJ7W0C0

No thanks, I'll take the lazy way... https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Valet-XL-Dolly/dp/B01LZYZB10/ref=pd_sbs_328_3?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=WMY9HEK70T3R782WWHCV&th=1&psc=1

funstuie
11-30-2017, 06:44 PM
No thanks, I'll take the lazy way... https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Valet-XL-Dolly/dp/B01LZYZB10/ref=pd_sbs_328_3?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=WMY9HEK70T3R782WWHCV&th=1&psc=1

The lady in the picture is wearing totally inappropriate shoes.

Jason TQ
11-30-2017, 07:36 PM
Hilarious Jason that you were willing to sacrifice the grill/radiator/engine of your truck to stop a runaway smoker.

Even crazier- I would do the exact same thing! :-P

I may or may not have forgotten once to put the chocks in place before raising the coupler off the ball.......and it may have moved forward and into the license plate pushing the plate into the underpart of the bed of the truck.........:icon_blush:

pjtexas1
11-30-2017, 07:53 PM
Nothing personal Jason but wouldn't it be easier to just leave it hitched?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jason TQ
11-30-2017, 08:14 PM
Nothing personal Jason but wouldn't it be easier to just leave it hitched?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My brain?? It likes to wander.

Too much decline at the old place to keep it hitched. And also in my brain socket.

tribbq
12-01-2017, 07:21 PM
I've used a trailer dolly to move a fully loaded enclosed trailer around a parking lot. Depends on weight distribution, tires, and surface though. You might need someone to help you move/stop it too.

CT-Mike
12-02-2017, 10:35 PM
Ol' Mortimer weighs in at a svelte 5,200 lbs with a lot of tongue weight. He laughed at me when I tried moving it with my JD Lawn Tractor.

Picking up one of these after the first of the year. Cool feature is that it can actuate the axle brakes on the trailer to stop it.

https://parkit360.ca/

Beentown
12-02-2017, 10:46 PM
Remember most quads are IRS in the rear now. Doesn't work with my Shirley. Drags the jack.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

bonz50
12-02-2017, 11:32 PM
My thoughts are, you haven't even purchased it yet, and have came up with two reasons, that you might want to take it somewhere. If it is already on your mind, it is something you are probably going to want. Better to spend a little more up front, and be satisfied, than to save a little now, and have regrets, or spend more later.

ya, fark it, just get the 24x60 straight back, stainless shelf, removable tongue, wood box, extra grate in the warmer, both dampers, block off plate and call it a day!!! :thumb:

will give me an excuse to get an ATV/UTV someday :clap2:

Joshw
12-02-2017, 11:52 PM
ya, fark it, just get the 24x60 straight back, stainless shelf, removable tongue, wood box, extra grate in the warmer, both dampers, block off plate and call it a day!!! :thumb:

will give me an excuse to get an ATV/UTV someday :clap2:

If you're married, you might want to add a diamond ring to that order, that way you get to live to enjoy your new smoker.

bonz50
12-02-2017, 11:59 PM
If you're married, you might want to add a diamond ring to that order, that way you get to live to enjoy your new smoker.
LOL

I've still gotta run this past mgmt, but I'm thinkin I'll sell my beloved 50th anniversary Strat to cover the cost. :thumb:

Joshw
12-03-2017, 12:12 AM
LOL

I've still gotta run this past mgmt, but I'm thinkin I'll sell my beloved 50th anniversary Strat to cover the cost. :thumb:

Now that is commitment. Good luck on your new smoker!

kurtsara
12-03-2017, 12:28 PM
I use our side X side

Hotch
12-03-2017, 12:35 PM
I like my Honda Rider with the tow Dolly.
Tow Dolly can be set to use by hand or a wheeler!