PDA

View Full Version : Fan in the smoker?

Fillmore Farmer
11-26-2017, 01:41 AM
A year ago I had a bunch of friends over and we loaded my Vault up with a LOT of turkey, the shelves were a bit packed and, despite rotating shelves, there seemed to be some uneven cooking. Obviously heat rises....but shelves full of meat inhibit heat flow and so the lower shelves may have gotten more heat.

Bottom line, just like the probes that run wires through the door, are there any small fans, like a convection oven uses, that we could put inside the smokers while the meat cooks? Just curious if such a thing is ideal and exist?

IamMadMan
11-26-2017, 04:35 AM
Steve,

Don't know if they exist for the vault, but some mammoth smokers like the huge Southern Prides have rotating shelves, propane assist, and airflow fans. They tout a special convection air system that recirculates the smoke and heat throughout the chamber, cooking every piece of product slowly and uniformly, while the self-basting rotisserie enhances flavor and texture. It has been years since I had the opportunity to use one.

W.I.T.W.A.G?
11-27-2017, 04:46 PM
I would think that unless you are talking about a huge system like the Southern Pride IamMadMan mentioned that it would have adverse effects on the airflow. That's an interesting idea though...:idea:

minAL
11-27-2017, 08:32 PM
I cook on a southern pride. My convection motor went out last week. It’s failure has added 30+ minutes to my cook times. I don’t know about the dynamics, but I know fans help speed things up.