PDA

View Full Version : Winning BBQ Rubs and Sauces

johnlewis469
11-22-2017, 05:21 PM
Hey y'all, getting ready to do my first KCBS comp in quite a few years next week. Was wondering what's hitting these days as far competition rubs and sauces. I used to use Plowboys rub, Headcountry and Blues Hog sauce. Is any of that still working? Thanks for any recommendations!

sniperfx
11-22-2017, 05:41 PM
killer hogs and victory lane

Rockinar
11-22-2017, 05:56 PM
Hey y'all, getting ready to do my first KCBS comp in quite a few years next week. Was wondering what's hitting these days as far competition rubs and sauces. I used to use Plowboys rub, Headcountry and Blues Hog sauce. Is any of that still working? Thanks for any recommendations!

Just Salt & Pepper! :-D:-D:-D

Cook
11-22-2017, 08:38 PM
Maybe ask in the Competition section for more answers...

Big George's BBQ
11-22-2017, 08:45 PM
I think a lot of people use what you just said

Pappy Q
11-23-2017, 04:05 AM
Smoking Guns Hot and Cimaron Docs or some version of these are still widely used. The sauces you mentioned or some version of them still hitting. Comp BBQ has become very homogenized so stay within the box of judge expectations. Originality is not well received.

IamMadMan
11-23-2017, 04:49 AM
Head Country and Blues Hog are still very popular. Some use them as they are, while others blend them, and/or add additional ingredients.

In fact, Blues Hog released a new "Champion's Blend" sauce earlier this year. It is a blend of Original, Tennessee Red, and Smokey Mountain. Available in gallons and half gallons at most suppliers.