PDA

View Full Version : Smoked Flavor

tcards
11-21-2017, 11:24 AM
It seems like I get more of a smoked flavor in meat cooked on UDS vs. Pecos. Anyone else think they get more smoke from UDS?

pjtexas1
11-21-2017, 11:28 AM
Is it more smoke or different smoke? charcoal and chunks on a cooker with less airflow is different than splits on an offset with intake and exhaust wide open. Smoke flavor is different to different people.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

el luchador
11-21-2017, 11:36 AM
Yes,the uds will have more smoke taste than your stick burner.

I have a regular uds and a wood burning uds and the wood burner has less smoke flavor.

Nuco59
11-21-2017, 11:46 AM
More? /shrug. But definitely different- the fog from the fats hitting the coals gives it a taste that you won't get from an offset. Some folk like it better than others. Unlike some (Mister Smitty comes to mind) I don't use much wood on my UDS- two or three chunks plus the charcoal gives me all the smoke flavor I want without getting overpowering.

Hate burping smoke an hour after eating.

MeatyOakerSmoker
11-21-2017, 05:38 PM
Me thinks so. I’m noticing my UDS produced a more smoky product. I’m not sure if that’s just specific to my cooks so far, to the hot all wood fire, to the slightly higher temps I’m running, or whatever other factor. However I do feel like the smoke on my Lang is cleaner and I’m seeing less soot on the cutting board. Also there is reason to believe dripping burning off your fire or diffuser can produce carcinogens which adhere to the meat being cooked. So as of now I’m appreciating the more subtle clean flavor of an offset/RF.

BBQ Freak
11-21-2017, 06:51 PM
I have had offset and reverse flow smokers all my life and a few months back I built a UDS just to see what the hype was about . I have since sold the UDS and too me the BBQ had to much smoke profile for my liking and my stick burners burn so much cleaner with just a kiss of smoke profile . It is all a personal taste to what you are used too when it comes to BBQing .

SmoothBoarBBQ
11-22-2017, 04:56 AM
Smoke is like a seasoning... is more salt necessarily desirable? On my kamado I get a different flavor of smoke since the wood is smoldering rather than burning. I don't mind this smokey flavor but it's too sharp for my personal taste. The food which comes off of my stickburner has a great smokey smell and flavor, but it's not overpowering or bitter.

Rockinar
11-22-2017, 04:58 AM
Youre just used to gross charcoal taste drum smokers put out.

Cook
11-22-2017, 10:57 AM
I often laugh at people who say drums/bullet smokers are too smokey...then you see one of their setup pictures and they have like 10 wood chunks dispersed thought the charcoal.

On my WSM I use 2-3 fist sized chunks for pork/beef & 1 chunk for poultry (even turkeys).

This doesn't mean anyone in this thread has done this, but it is a valid observation for some others.

el luchador
11-22-2017, 11:41 AM
there is also no rule stating we need to use chunks in our ugly drum smokers.

for a lighter smoke flavor just use charcoal.

pjtexas1
11-22-2017, 11:41 AM
I often laugh at people who say drums/bullet smokers are too smokey...then you see one of their setup pictures and they have like 10 wood chunks dispersed thought the charcoal.

On my WSM I use 2-3 fist sized chunks for pork/beef & 1 chunk for poultry (even turkeys).

This doesn't mean anyone in this thread has done this, but it is a valid observation for some others.

you must have seen Smitty's setup when he still had his drum. :boxing:

Bob C Cue
11-22-2017, 11:46 AM
Youre just used to gross charcoal taste drum smokers put out.

I agree that drum smokers suck as you can probably guess from my signature and profile pic.

pjtexas1
11-22-2017, 12:29 PM
I agree that drum smokers suck as you can probably guess from my signature and profile pic.

its about time you finally admitted it. :laugh:

Beentown
11-22-2017, 02:00 PM

This doesn't mean anyone in this thread has done this, but it is a valid observation for some others.I run about half wood (volume), half charcoal in my drum. Oversmoke is a myth unless you are smouldering. My uds runs thin blue smoke. If the wood is the issue then me doing a 14 hour smoke on my stick burner should make my briskets inedible. They are not.

I will say the flavor is different between a charcoal and stick burner. I also find that different charcoals, just like different woods impart differing flavors.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MeatyOakerSmoker
11-22-2017, 07:27 PM
Hmm personal preference definitely seems alive and well in this thread.

tom b
11-22-2017, 08:31 PM
I much prefer the food I cook on my stick burners to my charcoal smokers, I really only use charcoal for grilling....

el luchador
11-23-2017, 07:11 AM
so yesterday I bought a pecos so now I can speak directly to the OPs situation.

even though I burned 6 logs and cooked the beef ribs uncovered for the whole time, It had a light smoke flavor.

I even had many periods of dirty smoke and the wood was wet enough that I could hear it boiling off and the moisture was VISIBLE on the cold end of the log.

Im beginning to think that maybe the smoke is moving so fast in the stick burners that it doesnt really get to sit on the meat like the slower moving air of the charcoal burner where the air in the cooker is not changing around quite as often.