PDA

View Full Version : Brine and salt enhanced turkeys

cfrazier77
11-19-2017, 09:33 PM
Now that I have moved across the country I can only get salt enhanced turkeys. So what do you all think of and what do you do with brining and enhanced birds? I don't want to make one for Thanksgiving that is too salty. Thanks!

Hoss
11-19-2017, 09:38 PM
Just my honest opinion.If you have an enhanced "shot full of a solution" do not brine.They already did it for you.Rub and technique is a different story.

tom b
11-19-2017, 09:41 PM
I like a dry brine I have use Naturific Harvest Brine on enhanced turkey and it was not overly salty

isuhunter
11-19-2017, 09:45 PM
I wet brine the turkeys that are broth injected and still find it carries the brine taste and stays juicier than without the brine.

food4thot
11-19-2017, 10:03 PM
Just my honest opinion.If you have an enhanced "shot full of a solution" do not brine.They already did it for you.Rub and technique is a different story.
Agree. Not much point to brining a bird packaged in a solution.

They are passing out turkeys at work tomorrow. The ones they passed out last year said "Amish" on the box but the wrapper listed the same stuff as Butterballs.

JS-TX
11-19-2017, 10:36 PM
I'd just rub it and smoke it. Unless this is just for practice or everyday eats.

IamMadMan
11-20-2017, 04:48 AM
Sometimes we brine for added flavors (like Patio Dadio's Brine), not just for adding the moisture and tenderness to the bird.

I have brined enhanced birds several times with Patio Dadio's Ultimate Thanksgiving brine just for adding the flavors, but do I cut the amount of salt in half.

Another option for adding flavor to an enhanced turkey is to add your spices into a whipped butter and rub them into the meat under the turkey skin.

I would have thought with your new location, there would be an Amish farmer somewhat near you that might be selling fresh turkeys.

Well Happy Thanksgiving Craig........

cfrazier77
11-20-2017, 10:50 PM
Sometimes we brine for added flavors (like Patio Dadio's Brine), not just for adding the moisture and tenderness to the bird.

I have brined enhanced birds several times with Patio Dadio's Ultimate Thanksgiving brine just for adding the flavors, but do I cut the amount of salt in half.

Another option for adding flavor to an enhanced turkey is to add your spices into a whipped butter and rub them into the meat under the turkey skin.

I would have thought with your new location, there would be an Amish farmer somewhat near you that might be selling fresh turkeys.

Well Happy Thanksgiving Craig........

There is a lot of Amish and Mennonite, but none that raise turkeys that I know of. Fresh eggs are everywhere though.

Happy Thanksgiving to you too, and all the brethren!

ssv3
11-20-2017, 11:10 PM
I usually brine Patio Daddio style on a fresh bird and smoke. I have an enhanced bird this year but I'm still going to inject it with Oakridge Game Changer. Just not full strength obviously.