PDA

View Full Version : Dry Brine Question

LloydQ
11-14-2017, 07:40 PM
I have been reading about the dry brine process, and think that it has a lot of merit, especially considering I don't have access to a fresh turkey. My question is, how do the amount of brine and the hours per pound differ for a bone-in breast vs. a whole bird? Seems like it would take more brine and more time due to the thickness. Am I thinking wrong? Also, do you need to factor in the amount of "solution" added?

tom b
11-14-2017, 08:02 PM
same time I would think, I'm sure Sirporkalot will be here soon

Big George's BBQ
11-14-2017, 08:14 PM
PM SirPorkaLot

SirPorkaLot
11-14-2017, 09:55 PM
I have been reading about the dry brine process, and think that it has a lot of merit, especially considering I don't have access to a fresh turkey. My question is, how do the amount of brine and the hours per pound differ for a bone-in breast vs. a whole bird? Seems like it would take more brine and more time due to the thickness. Am I thinking wrong? Also, do you need to factor in the amount of "solution" added?

Thickness is not as important as weight.
Dry brine is done by weight.
A bone-in breast may weigh 5 lbs while a whole turkey may weigh 20lbs. Since you do a dry brine by weight (2-3 hours per pound), the whole bird will take 4 times as longer.
Weight for Poultry = Total weight of bird (including any water weight)

LloydQ
11-15-2017, 05:56 PM
The only bone-in breasts I have seen so far are 19% and 15% solution. I may pass. I can get an 8% whole bird for $1.00 less per pound. Last one I did with that much solution was mushy at 165 IT.