PDA

View Full Version : Help on curing a pork loin

FrugalQ
11-13-2017, 09:36 AM
Title sums it up. I’ve got a whole 6lb loin that I wanna cure and smoke for Thanksgiving. Not sure what I’ll cook it on. PBC, Performer wSNS, or pooper. Probably depends on weather. It’s in the freezer currently and I’m looking for some tips,links, whatever the brethren have to offer. Thanks in advance

Shagdog
11-13-2017, 09:39 AM
Cure it how? What do you want to make? Canadian Bacon?

FrugalQ
11-13-2017, 10:09 AM
More of a traditional ham style just using the loin instead of butt. Wet brine, injected if needed (guessing it would since it lacks some fat.

Shagdog
11-13-2017, 10:17 AM
You probably wouldn't need to inject it, but it wouldn't hurt it either. Pick a good ham brine, soak it for 10 days-ish.. (that's how long I usually do canadian bacon, and i get full penetration). After the brine, let it sit in the fridge uncovered for 24 hours, then slow smoke it up to 145 or so. I mean real slow. like run the smoker at 150 for the first few hours, once it hits 130 IT you can bump the smoker up to 180 to finish. I don't have a ham recipe handy, but I'm sure if you use the search bar at the bottom you'll find a few dozen

FrugalQ
11-13-2017, 02:12 PM
Well I guess I better pull that loin out of freezer right now. Won’t injecting reduce the time I need to leave it in brine?

Joshw
11-13-2017, 04:25 PM
I made this a couple months ago, I loved it.

https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/porkstrami/

IamMadMan
11-13-2017, 04:31 PM
Keep in mind that a wet brine is calculated on an estimated pick-up ratio (usually 4%), and injecting is based on a 10% ratio. Injecting too much can cause nitrite burn, uneven curing, and could effect the overall texture of the product.

FrugalQ
11-14-2017, 07:26 AM
I’m not getting a lot of of confirmation that I’m gonna be able achieve a passable “ham” using the pork loin. I’ve read other places that it makes a really good easily sliceable product. I’m not opposed to buying a butt or shoulder piece but just wanted to use what I had and I thought the nice uniform shape would look good on the table.

IamMadMan
11-14-2017, 10:48 AM
I’m not getting a lot of of confirmation that I’m gonna be able achieve a passable “ham” using the pork loin. I’ve read other places that it makes a really good easily sliceable product. I’m not opposed to buying a butt or shoulder piece but just wanted to use what I had and I thought the nice uniform shape would look good on the table.

You can cure the whole whole loin as you would a ham, or slice into boneless loin ham chops, you just have to remember to use care not to dry it out. A dry tough ham can ruin an otherwise great meal. My suggestion would be to use a dry cure, or an equilibrium cure, rather than a curing brine. This will ensure even and consistent curing without nitrite burn.

One of my favorite things to make with a cured pork loin is Kassler Rippchen, (German Smoked Pork Loin Chops).

But your cutting it close on time for a proper cure in time for Thanksgiving dinner.

Shagdog
11-14-2017, 12:43 PM
I'm not sure I would experiment with a big family meal like thanksgiving.. If you do, I would make sure you have a backup plan... Like serve Turkey AND your ham. That way, no harm no foul if it doesn't come out like you envisioned..

FrugalQ
11-14-2017, 09:56 PM
Agreed on backup plan. Ham is just supposed to be extra Meat. There will be a roasted and a smoked turkey both. Ham is just chits and giggles.