PDA

View Full Version : Lighting a WSM 22.5

kevinstaggs
11-03-2017, 05:44 PM
Minion method or Soo’s donut or ??? Just wondering what folks prefer for an overnight 225-250 cook. Thanks in advance for your input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy Hapgood
11-03-2017, 05:57 PM
Minion method for sure here.

Czarbecue
11-03-2017, 07:09 PM
Heh... I had to look up the definition of Soo's doughnut and apparently that is what I have been calling the Minion Method. Just dumping lit coals everywhere just seems haphazard to me. Get your hands dirty and dig out that ditch.

One Drop
11-04-2017, 04:15 AM
I use the minion method with briquettes and charcoal, digging out a hole and using a whole chimney in the center. Works like a dream and easy to set and forget, and also to control the amount of wood you want without having to open the door, which I find is the single thing that makes it most difficult to maintain temps, as the coal bed lights up quickly and the temps climb instantly, much worse than when lifting the lid for the same amount of time.

Incidentally, I don't like the hinged lid on a WSM because you lose the heat in the lid when it's tilted instead of conserving it when you put it down on the ground level.

Because there are no real affordable good briquettes here I find lump charcoal more consistent, and I think there is slight taste improvement as well.

poorolddan
11-04-2017, 09:58 AM
Instead of digging out the center I use a gallon bean can with the bottom cut 90% and a smaller can inside to hold the lid up. Place in the coal area and dump the coal on top the can. It spreads evenly around the can. I fold the partially cut lid back then dump the chimney in the can. Use a pliers to pull out the can and you have a perfectly filled doughnut of coal.

ChrisBarb
11-04-2017, 03:15 PM
Been doing Soo's doughnut without knowing that was what it was called.

kevinstaggs
11-04-2017, 11:40 PM
Used Soo’s donut for an overnight butt cook. Turned out pretty good if I say so myself. Had some nice pulled pork sandwiches with the fam as we watched the Sooners win another Bedlam game. Expecting some nice pork tacos for lunch after church tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for the great responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

One Drop
11-05-2017, 01:53 AM
Instead of digging out the center I use a gallon bean can with the bottom cut 90% and a smaller can inside to hold the lid up. Place in the coal area and dump the coal on top the can. It spreads evenly around the can. I fold the partially cut lid back then dump the chimney in the can. Use a pliers to pull out the can and you have a perfectly filled doughnut of coal.

I used to do something similar by turning the full lit chimney upside down in the middle of the grate, filling the area around it with coals, and then lifting out the chimney. It worked perfectly but one day to make things simpler I tried the hole digging technique and had identical results, so I just stuck to it.

Your method is very cool, and tidy.

scp
11-06-2017, 08:11 AM
I load the ring with chrcoal and desired wodd chunks...stick one of these(propane torch) thru one of the bottom vents for about 5-10mins...then wait for thin blue smoke...and temp to come up...usualy about an hour.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-UL100-Basic-Propane-Torch-Kit-UL100KC/203665003

Frank Mahovlich
11-06-2017, 10:34 AM
I use the Minion method. I fill the basket with unlit KBB, mix in 5 or 6 big chunks of pecan, then use my weed burner torch to light 20 briquettes. When the 20 are completely grayed over, I dump them on top of the unlit. I have discovered that lighting it this way, my WSM will settle in rock steady at 280. This is the easiest way for me to light my smoker, and I can cook most anything at that temp. This is much less stressful for me than having to wrestle with temps 25-50 degrees either way.

If I was going to cook as low as 225 or 250, I'd have to take some measures. I'd fill up the water pan full, and also probably only light 8-10 briquettes initially. It's way easier for me to bring low temps up than it is to take hot temps down. Much easier to manage temps on the way up...

93_confirmed
11-06-2017, 11:11 AM
Minion and Soo's are basically the same result. I've done both and didn't see any difference between one vs. the other.

That said, I now go hot and fast and virtually all my cooks and shoot for 325-350. Empty water pan, full chimney on top of a full charcoal ring of coals, etc.

smokinbbq_life
11-06-2017, 01:17 PM
Minion and Soo's are basically the same result. I've done both and didn't see any difference between one vs. the other.

That said, I now go hot and fast and virtually all my cooks and shoot for 325-350. Empty water pan, full chimney on top of a full charcoal ring of coals, etc.

How do you get 325 with that method? I just tried this method this past weekend and my 18.5 struggled to get to 275. I had an empty water pan, about a chimney full of unlit KBB in the ring, and lit a full chimney and poured on top, I had a big 12 pound turkey in but i could only get to 325 if I propped my charcoal door open a bit.

any other tips?

THoey1963
11-06-2017, 02:39 PM
When I had my WSM, I'd fill the ring with charcoal and wood, and then use my weed burner to light the coals in the basket right in front of the vent that will be open. Had no issues running from 275* to 325*...

https://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-with-push-button-igniter-91037.html