PDA

View Full Version : Interested in a MES40 I want pictures of them in action!

blazinfire
11-02-2017, 04:46 PM
Those of you that has an MES40 do you have pictures of the smoker in action? I got to see a 30" and 40" side by side, and realized I wanted a 40". I just wanna see some action shots! Thank you

bucko
11-02-2017, 05:03 PM
You can see plenty on you tube just type in ribs on master built smoker all kinds of videos maybe that will help you out good luck

blazinfire
11-02-2017, 05:13 PM
You can see plenty on you tube just type in ribs on master built smoker all kinds of videos maybe that will help you out good luck

I can't stand listening to most of those people talk LOL. Honestly I just want to see what the brethren as a group has done with the smokers. Just because I guess no real reason behind it.

Lomey
11-02-2017, 06:15 PM
Recent photos of my MES 40 in action. Jerky, ribs and chicken thighs and wings. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171102/fccd0147fa17f3db450820195f67bc91.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171102/9bb67e1ed1f000e48b6a74b9973931f6.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171102/31d9ec3dd404e4af7414789d0449e098.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171102/8ace1b478fbc02a6fcc7bfef1a875d5a.jpg

BeardedBassGuy
11-02-2017, 06:21 PM
No pics handy, sorry. But I can tell you that you can fit 2 racks of ribs on each shelf if you trim them properly. I had an overall good experience with mine, glad I went with the 40 over the 30. My dad has a 30 that he uses when he doesn’t want to fire up his offset. The size difference is noticeable.

blazinfire
11-02-2017, 06:40 PM
No pics handy, sorry. But I can tell you that you can fit 2 racks of ribs on each shelf if you trim them properly. I had an overall good experience with mine, glad I went with the 40 over the 30. My dad has a 30 that he uses when he doesn’t want to fire up his offset. The size difference is noticeable.

Is the smoke flavor for full on cooking? I'm buying the MES40 mostly for low temp cooking. Should of mentioned this before... But I have another thread about it.

but I'm also thinking about the possibilities of doing some meals in it for fun when I don't feel like cooking in the VOS..

@Lomey How often did you have to open the door and how long when making the jerky? so far I hear if you are drying and low temp cooking that the masterbuilts hold moisture in well so its best to open the door for a bit

BeardedBassGuy
11-02-2017, 06:48 PM
If you are going to try low temp cooking, keep in mind you will need to get (or make your own) adapter to make smoke. As I found out the hard way, anything less than about 200 and the chips won’t ignite and there will be no smoke. Masterbuilt makes a cold smoke attachment, and there are tons of how to guides out there for a home brew.

blazinfire
11-02-2017, 06:58 PM
If you are going to try low temp cooking, keep in mind you will need to get (or make your own) adapter to make smoke. As I found out the hard way, anything less than about 200 and the chips won’t ignite and there will be no smoke. Masterbuilt makes a cold smoke attachment, and there are tons of how to guides out there for a home brew.

Oh It's a given I'm buying the cold smoke attachment. I don't wanna half ass it and make a home brew contraption for a brand new device.

Just curious to know if you can use pellets or if you must use wood chips.. And also like you said the wood chips need a temp 200 or above to ignite the chips.....

When I buy the cold smoking adapter do I still set the smoker its self to the desired temp while running the cold smoking adapter?

blazinfire
11-02-2017, 09:43 PM
Most important question... how to store it? a building. and a overhang roof.. My Idea was to just put it against the building in the back of the over hang roof and buy the cover for it..

is that not enough? should I take it inside? or outside in the building will be fine? Also does these things have wheels on it? easy to move around?

Lomey
11-03-2017, 12:28 AM
Most important question... how to store it? a building. and a overhang roof.. My Idea was to just put it against the building in the back of the over hang roof and buy the cover for it..

is that not enough? should I take it inside? or outside in the building will be fine? Also does these things have wheels on it? easy to move around?

I answered you pm so hopefully it comes through. As far as storing. I keep it on my deck covered with a heavy duty cover, up against a wall under an overhang. Unplugged of course.

I can't get the link for the cover to work, but look this up on Amazon. Great heavy duty cover.

Classic Accessories Hickory Heavy Duty Square Smoker Cover Large: 55-046-042401-00

blazinfire
11-03-2017, 06:27 AM
Alright. I'm gonna post this in both of my MES40 threads in hope I can get help this morning!!!
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Masterbuilt-JMSS-1200-Watt-Electric-Vertical-Smoker-Common-40-472-in-Actual-40-472-in/999977666

found this at lowes... What is the difference between this version and any other version of the MES40???? From my research the only thing I found was that it is a special edition just for lowes....

But everything else about it is identical to any other MES40.... Is this right??? Because if so... At that price it says there's two available at one of the lowes an hour away! I'll go pick it up today if there is no differences and its worth this price .

worktogthr
11-03-2017, 07:32 AM
I mentioned on the other thread of yours that the A-Maze-N tray is the way to go! I don't have the cold smoke attachment so I can't speak on it but at low temps you can get almost 12 hours of smoke with the pellet tray. Think it might be cheaper too!

jsalwingo
11-03-2017, 08:07 AM
Purchased one of these a few weeks ago from Lowes. Used it once and then returned it. Issues I had were with the remote control, thought it would be a nice feature, but could not get it to function properly.

Cooked a pork butt on it for the first cook. Thought it turned out good and was willing to just toss the remote aside and not worry about that feature. Went to use it the 2nd time for some ribs, plugged it in and it would not heat up.

The unit did have back wheels which makes it easy to move around and it is really light. I stored mine in the garage and just wheeled it through the house when I wanted to take it out back.

blazinfire
11-03-2017, 08:13 AM
Purchased one of these a few weeks ago from Lowes. Used it once and then returned it. Issues I had were with the remote control, thought it would be a nice feature, but could not get it to function properly.

Cooked a pork butt on it for the first cook. Thought it turned out good and was willing to just toss the remote aside and not worry about that feature. Went to use it the 2nd time for some ribs, plugged it in and it would not heat up.

The unit did have back wheels which makes it easy to move around and it is really light. I stored mine in the garage and just wheeled it through the house when I wanted to take it out back.

Hmm... interesting.. I think I will be taking a gamble here for the price.. I will be wiring up a dedicated circuit for this just in case that might be a cause of the malfunctions people have with it.

Also if I have problems I'll take it up with masterbuilt. I have been reading their customer support is good. The price is good, I can always get my money back or get masterbuilt to provide help (hopefully it at least comes with a one year warrenty)

Oh yeah the remote control is the least of my worries. I don't need a remote control. I would rather go outside and check it out and see how its running LOL

crpngdth2001
11-03-2017, 08:32 AM
My remote control for my MES40 is in the drawer where I first put it after getting the unit out of the box. No batteries in it, never been used.

blazinfire
11-03-2017, 08:37 AM
My remote control for my MES40 is in the drawer where I first put it after getting the unit out of the box. No batteries in it, never been used.

Do you have the old model? New Model? How do you like yours? use it often? what do you cook on it?

crpngdth2001
11-03-2017, 08:53 AM
I have the old model (control panel in back with vent to the right of controls). I did replace the panel after 3 years, mostly due to leaving it outside uncovered after the cover would blow off and I was too lazy to put it back on.

I do a lot of jerky, snack sticks, summer sausage, cold smoked cheese, cold smoked bacon, cold smoked salmon. I very occasionally do some ribs or a pork butt when I am too lazy to use/babysit my Weber Kettle. I plan on building an offset with tuning plates this spring.

I do exclusively use the amazen tube smoker (12") with pellets in mine, and have never used the chip tray.

Results are always great.

blazinfire
11-03-2017, 09:03 AM
I have the old model (control panel in back with vent to the right of controls). I did replace the panel after 3 years, mostly due to leaving it outside uncovered after the cover would blow off and I was too lazy to put it back on.

I do a lot of jerky, snack sticks, summer sausage, cold smoked cheese, cold smoked bacon, cold smoked salmon. I very occasionally do some ribs or a pork butt when I am too lazy to use/babysit my Weber Kettle. I plan on building an offset with tuning plates this spring.

I do exclusively use the amazen tube smoker (12") with pellets in mine, and have never used the chip tray.

Results are always great.

Nice... its awesome to know the 12" pellet smoker will work as I have the tube smoker. But I think because I'm a sucker for gadgets and I like adding addon's to my stuff I'm buying the cold smoking adapter for the MES. But good to know I can always rely on the tube smoker if Needed.

It is honestly relieving to know that alot of people use these things regularly for low temp smoking.... and I'm not just buying "another smoker". I'm excited! Be ready for threads because I've already got plans! Gonna be great time.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Lomey
11-03-2017, 10:44 AM
I only use my remote occasionally, but have never had a problem with it.

Did you look on Amazon for that cover. I highly recommend it. I just bought one that's fits the Weber Kettle from the same company. So much better than factory covers for about the same price.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171103/7e85544b062350201c5a547149ffddd2.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171103/ddd74e832bf46bdd2f8084092c11a60a.jpg

blazinfire
11-03-2017, 12:44 PM
@Lomey..... I haven't bought the cover yet.. But I'm considering buying
https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20090115-2-Piece-Vegetable-Smoker/dp/B01ALDGZ5Y/ref=pd_sim_86_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01ALDGZ5Y&pd_rd_r=N8J66460WT1VNJ1XYWZA&pd_rd_w=8hhzz&pd_rd_wg=5EGFb&psc=1&refRID=N8J66460WT1VNJ1XYWZA

which if you look at the things bought together it suggests the cold smoker, the cover, and these grates for like 86 bucks. So I'll be making a purchase all together for those 3 items.

blazinfire
11-03-2017, 12:49 PM
Any ways here is an update! Just got back from a 2 1/2 hour round trip! Went to lowes and looked at both the 30" and 40"..

I have a love/hate relationship with this site now!! You guys make me spend more money, but It is wise to listen to your advice.. I really think I would of been kicking my self in the arse if I purchased the 30" just by looking at it.

It was an amazing trip tho... I met up with someone I knew there told them what I was doing.. They helped me out and got the veteran's discount at lowe's so I walked out of there with the 40" for just under $300!!! I also picked up two bags of pecan chips, and a bag of apple chips. Will buy a big bag of hickory for the same price at walmart. These are smaller bags but walmart only has hickory.

So far I'm pressed and excited after seeing the exact model I was buying on display. It's raining here so I will probably unbox it and run the smoker for a few minutes inside to make sure it heats and everything.

Thanks for the help. Stay tuned once the weather breaks I'll be cooking on this thing.. Gonna have to wait til late in the week to do snack sticks as I haven't ordered the cold smoker yet and so far amazon will have it here Tuesday.

Lomey
11-03-2017, 02:52 PM
I would still take a look at the cover I suggested. It's much better than the Materbuilt one for $5 more. It also breaths so no mildew will build up under it.

Also, I have those mats in your link, but I like my metal cooling racks better.

Congrats on the new smoker!

blazinfire
11-03-2017, 03:10 PM
I would still take a look at the cover I suggested. It's much better than the Materbuilt one for $5 more. It also breaths so no mildew will build up under it.

Also, I have those mats in your link, but I like my metal cooling racks better.

Congrats on the new smoker!

Do you have a link to the covers you purchased?

Lomey
11-03-2017, 03:29 PM
Here's the one for your smoker.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UQQP4K/ref=asc_df_B004UQQP4K5247487/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B004UQQP4K&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198061703654&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4168277217791100858&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9023896&hvtargid=pla-352260043838

It slides over easily if you put the wood chip feeder in the smoker when putting it away.

blazinfire
11-03-2017, 03:33 PM
Here's the one for your smoker.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UQQP4K/ref=asc_df_B004UQQP4K5247487/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B004UQQP4K&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198061703654&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4168277217791100858&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9023896&hvtargid=pla-352260043838

It slides over easily if you put the wood chip feeder in the smoker when putting it away.

Nice!!! I like that cover a lot better from the looks of it...

Know anyone that got the stand for the masterbuilt?
https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20101213-Electric-Digital-40-Inch/dp/B00PICSHSC/ref=pd_bxgy_86_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00PICSHSC&pd_rd_r=N8J66460WT1VNJ1XYWZA&pd_rd_w=HmUMM&pd_rd_wg=5EGFb&psc=1&refRID=N8J66460WT1VNJ1XYWZA

Kinda interested in the stand as the smoker will be sitting on dirt... and I would like it raised a bit.

Gale1980
11-03-2017, 03:37 PM
I purchased a stand for mine... works great and has wheels to make moving it super easy. You won’t regret adding it.

blazinfire
11-03-2017, 03:43 PM
I purchased a stand for mine... works great and has wheels to make moving it super easy. You won’t regret adding it.

Wow the stand has wheels????? I didn't see this!!! That makes it completely worth buying... I hope that there's nothing special about this lowes version.. I know the stand doesn't work with the bluetooth models. this isn't a bluetooth model

blazinfire
11-03-2017, 08:04 PM
Alrighty folks! Prepare for my seasoning/first cook impressions. Gonna season the smoker for 3 hours.. then I'm cooking fatties and chicken...

But I thought this comment would be better here for now for those who are interested. I hooked it up, checked to see if the element came on.. Works... tomorrow I'll make sure it reaches max temp.

My first thoughts and impressions are pretty darn good.. Just by the looks and quality of the smoker. I really like it unplugged and unused for now LOL

Joshw
11-03-2017, 09:18 PM
I'm a little late, but I just seen Sams has the Masterbuilt 40" onsale for $279
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/masterbuilt-smoker/prod15560335.ip?xid=plp1872-outd:product:1:25

blazinfire
11-03-2017, 09:28 PM
I'm a little late, but I just seen Sams has the Masterbuilt 40" onsale for $279
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/masterbuilt-smoker/prod15560335.ip?xid=plp1872-outd:product:1:25

Yeah... I don't have a sam's club membership.. I was at sam's club trying to track one down. There's two within 1 hour from me.. closet ones available just no masterbuilt 40" instock at those stores.

I got a great deal any ways. Walked out of there paying less than $300. Not a bad deal when I was considering paying $375 on amazon. Just so happen before I hit the order button I had a magical google search that directed me to lowes.

Joshw
11-03-2017, 09:30 PM
I wasn't rubbing it in. Just posted in case someone else was looking at one.

blazinfire
11-03-2017, 09:45 PM
I wasn't rubbing it in. Just posted in case someone else was looking at one.

No problem man! Didn't mean my last comment in a bad/strange way.. I didn't realize you might of read that I purchased one already.

Lomey
11-03-2017, 11:14 PM
We just need pics of yours in action!

blazinfire
11-03-2017, 11:29 PM
We just need pics of yours in action!

:thumb: Don't worry It'll come

blazinfire
11-04-2017, 12:24 AM
Alrighty well I'll add some more questions for other people that might be interested in the smoker..

When seasoning do you spray the cooker with oil? The manual doesn't say anything about doing that or did the guy from the masterbuilt video. But I've seen other people spray everything except the element area..

Also when seasoning.. it says to run 275 for 2 hours and 15 minutes.. then add wood chips for 45 minutes then coool.. My question about this is at what point can I cook on it? should I season it and let it cool first? or Can I start adding food during or after the 45 minute smoke session?

I picked up some chicken breast and couple fatties to throw on there. I don't mind doing the full seasoning cycle and letting it cool then firing it up to cook.. But I don't see why it would be an issue to add food during or after the smoke portion.

Joshw
11-04-2017, 12:33 AM
I can't say specifically about the MES but the initial heat up is for burning off oils and dust from manufacturing. Most pits you would just cook something fatty like bacon, but you could wipe it down with oil like a cast iron skillet. I am sure it would be more than safe to cook on after a 3 hour burn in either way.

blazinfire
11-04-2017, 12:40 AM
I can't say specifically about the MES but the initial heat up is for burning off oils and dust from manufacturing. Most pits you would just cook something fatty like bacon, but you could wipe it down with oil like a cast iron skillet. I am sure it would be more than safe to cook on after a 3 hour burn in either way.

yeah. I'm going to use a damp cloth and wipe everything down in the morning. I didn't see a reason to spray the smoker with oil. Doesn't seem like it needs it or it would say in the manual you would think. I'll just throw the food on after the smoke session.. By that time I should need to add more chips anyways! perfect timing:thumb:

Joshw
11-04-2017, 12:42 AM
Good luck, Nothing like firing up a new pit.